ZoneFlex Release 9.6 now available (9.6.0.0.267)

• Announcement
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: old news

ZoneDirect 3000 and 5000 images have been posted. These images contain a fix for an issue seen with the original release 9.6.0.0.264 (ER-764 in the Release Notes). After upgrading, some customers reported seeing frequent AP restarts. Release 9.6.0.0.267 corrects this issue.

ZD1100 image has been withheld while we continue investigation of a separate issue in which some customers reported the ZD1100 becoming non-responsive during the upgrade. We expect to re-post the ZD1100 images for 9.6 shortly.
Photo of Keith - Pack Leader

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Miko

Miko

• 20 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I also see for the first time FlexMaster can be downloaded too! I have been avoiding using it because every time I wanted a new version I would have to contact support so this is a big plus.

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Great! You can probably tell it's not complete yet, but should be by tomorrow.
Photo of r0nnieb

r0nnieb

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Just a heads up but i certainly had an AP reset on me today on a Ruckus 3000 controller with 9.6.0.0.267.
event log indicated AP out of sync with controller

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Thx. If you would please open a support case so we can isolate the root cause. https://support.ruckuswireless.com/ca... - if we get the ZD debug file and the AP info files that will speed things up.
Photo of Marco Lopez

Marco Lopez

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any word on when this update will be available on the 1100?

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Not yet - I will post here shortly after we make the call.
Photo of Rob Coote

Rob Coote

• 37 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
From the Release Notes:
"Per user Dynamic PSK limits
ZoneDirector 9.6 now provides the ability to limit the number of Dynamic
Pre-Shared Keys generated per user.
This feature, configurable per WLAN, allows up to 4 individual mobile
devices to be securely connected per user login."

This is a great feature but a poor implementation. Let us set the limit, do not hard set it at 4 devices. I have several users with more than 4 devices and this will mean I cannot upgrade to this version.

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
This is a great conversation that's separate from the main topic, so I created a new topic to continue the discussion. Please reference the new topic here: 9.6 PSK Limit feature
Photo of Martin Kane

Martin Kane

• 72 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Any idea of release date for ZD1100?

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Not yet, I will post an update to this site when it's available.
Photo of Tim Belfall

Tim Belfall

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is the ZD1100 going end of life? Seems to be a more serious problem than expected.

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
No, there are no plans to EOL the ZD1100 that I'm aware of, but yes, this did turn out to be a bigger problem than anticipated. I believe we'll have an update on the issue this week.
Photo of Tim Belfall

Tim Belfall

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm a little concerned that there has been no update. Is Ruckus any closer to fixing the issue?

Do you have a trade up policy to allow cost effective migration from the ZD1100 to the ZD3000 ?
Photo of Martin Kane

Martin Kane

• 72 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
+1

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Yes, apologies to all for the delay. We'll have a formal update on Monday AM which will include both the software being posted as well as special upgrade instructions for the ZD1100. Let me give a little context. The image growth in the latest software releases (both 9.5 and 9.6) is resulting in some poor upgrade results in a small percentage of devices.

In standalone configurations, the upgrade may fail (infrequent) and require a reset/fallback. In devices with Smart Redundancy (SR) enabled, the problem results in a corrupted flash on 1 of the devices (which = RMA). In the SR situation it is consistent (SR is a small percentage of the install-base however).

We have solid workarounds for both these conditions. We will be posting detailed documentation of the workarounds in conjunctions with the software. It's important that it be followed.

The problem only affects the upgrade process and once that's completed there are no other major concerns with the release.

We continue working on a more permanent fix to the issue.

WRT to ZD3000 upgrades - yes we do offer a trade-in program. You can contact your reseller to see if they are participating.
Photo of Chris Paul

Chris Paul

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's monday...any updates?
Photo of Wirelessguys

Wirelessguys

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
??
Photo of Martin Kane

Martin Kane

• 72 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Ohhhhh. It's like Christmas :)

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Sorry for the delay. It's now posted (with some required reading in front). But I will give the synopsis:

1) If running standalone and the initial upgrade fails - do it again.
2) If running in Smart Redundancy mode (2 ZD's) - you MUST break the SR pair into independent ZD's first. Detailed instructions are given. After breaking SR, the upgrade process is the same as with standalone.
Photo of Martin Kane

Martin Kane

• 72 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! it's there! :)
Photo of Martin Kane

Martin Kane

• 72 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Upgrade completed without a hitch. No evidence of any problems at this stage in general operation.

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Great Martin, thanks for the update. In our tests, we saw the issue in standalone machines fairly rarely, but in the Smart Redundancy (SR) configurations it was very consistent, so it's crucial to follow the upgrade instructions when SR is involved (which is fairly rare in practice), esp since that scenario is a bit more serious (RMA...)

-K
Photo of Max O'Driscoll

Max O'Driscoll, AlphaDog

• 339 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
Completed 1hr ago. Including the restart for the memory/eventlog full error (previously described as "pesky") took 15-20mins.
Now I can start adding those extra wlans the release notes promise.
More Easter than Christmas!
Photo of Tim Belfall

Tim Belfall

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Keith, I forgot to restart the ZD after clearing the logs requiring a manual power off reboot. May be worth adding that into the directions.

Interestingly the ZD did a FW upgrade of the AP's to 9.6 but was itself still at the previous 9.5 version which caused the AP's to fail on configuration. The FW reinstall of the ZD sorted that one out, but I could have avoided the issue if I had restarted the ZD before the original upgrade.

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Thx Tim - (he is referring to this article )

Good suggestion!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.