ZF7782 AP not picking uplink from ZF7782-S <100m away

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Currently facing issues with our mesh AP's not more than 100m away.

ZF7782 getting up link from 7782-S and was working when first installed until a week ago. Mesh AP connected to AC power when switched off and on again does not pick up the 5GHz up link. 7782-S connected to our SCG200 with error reported as:
'AP rebooted because AP lost Gateway more than 1800sec'. Code 302.

Please assist if possible. Thanks
Photo of Vernon Wasile

Vernon Wasile

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2186 Posts
  • 301 Reply Likes
I can't find any details on the message received.  Please open a support ticket for further investigation.
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2186 Posts
  • 301 Reply Likes
Hi Vernon, are your APs at the limit for mesh (~600m)?  AP lost gateway is seen when mesh APs get stranded (Island) without an uplink they can find.
Photo of Vernon Wasile

Vernon Wasile

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've managed to bring the AP's back online. Issue was that Root AP's were configured as AUTO MESH.
Once the root AP's were configured as Root AP's and not AUTO; the mesh AP's went back online.
The mesh AP's are less than 100m away from the Root AP's.

Although I've managed to 'solve' the mesh issue we now face another problem in that our AP's (all AP's in our SCG) are continuously rebooting itself every 30minutes with message "AP rebooted because of (AP lost gateway more than 1800sec)".
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2183 Posts
  • 301 Reply Likes
Vernon, that message might mean a network issue with that VLAN's def-gw, or possibly the AP.  I saw a recent KBA-4060 on the topic when controller and/or AP is behind NAT?

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000004060
Photo of Eizens Putnins

Eizens Putnins

• 107 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Just to clarify -- your mentioned AP model as 7782-S , which has 30x120 degree antenna.
Is it  possible, that even so your root AP is 100 m aside, both antennas are directed into different directions? This would result in weak RSSI and a lot of lost packets, and it can be source of many  problems --  including reboots.
So first of all -- check quality of mesh uplink (displayed in AP detail view) and test performance by Speedflex between mesh APs (must be at least 30MB/s or better, and not much lost packets).
To impove RSSI for mesh link, you can connect external 5GHz antenna, but I am not sure if than internal 5GHz antenna will be used at all on ZF7782-S (and this can hart 5GHz clients). We mostly used external directional antenna with ZF7762-S, which doesn't have internal 5GHz antenna  anyway.
With external antenna mesh works well over 600m mentioned limit (1km was tested by us on ZF7762-S with 16 db 5GHz antenna and worked just fine - 50+ MB/s performance).