ZD1200 upgrade failed

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Answered
ZD1200 upgrade failed. We tryed to upgrade a ZD1200 from FW version 9.10.2.0.53 to the latest 10.x version. without any luck. What we see is that the ZD shows the screen that the FW is uploading till it reaches 100% but after it reboots it still shows the 9.x FW version. Meaning the upgrade was not succesfull. We do not get any errors or whatso ever. 

any ideas on what the issue can be. A support entitlement is present. We factory defaulted the ZD also no luck upgrading it to a later version 
Photo of Said Sanoussi

Said Sanoussi

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Jay Files

Jay Files, Employee

• 35 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Did you check the Release Notes for the release you're upgrading to? It lists which releases can be directly upgraded to the new release. 

Upgrading directly from 9.10.2 to 10.x may not be possible, you may have to do it in multiple steps. 

Check the Release Notes.
Photo of Victor Cenac

Victor Cenac

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Try 9.12 first
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Photo of Said Sanoussi

Said Sanoussi

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi all, Yes we have upgraded according the upgrade path listed in the release notes. This is very strange because i have at least upgraded 50 ZD's in the past 3 years but never seen this before.
any other ideas?
Photo of Victor Cenac

Victor Cenac

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
So, just curious, does it upgrade ok to 9.12.3?
Also, are all the connected APs supported in the failing version?
(Edited)
Photo of Said Sanoussi

Said Sanoussi

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
yes we have tryed that. still does not work. And yes the AP's are all connected and work fine. The only that doesnt work is perform a FW upgrade
Photo of JB

JB, Employee

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Said,

You mentioned you were trying to upgrade to the latest 10.x ZD release. Is this 10.2?

If so, you do need to first upgrade to 10.0, then subsequently to 10.2 (multiple steps).

Please check the Upgrade Guide for 10.2 at https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/2486-zonedirector-10-2-ga-upgrade-guide

Regards,

John
Photo of Said Sanoussi

Said Sanoussi

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I have tryed that already without any luck. 
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2570 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Please describe the network, are the ZD and APs on the same VLAN, using the same DHCP/DNS servers, etc?
Or is your ZD centrally located and all the APs remote?  Over VPN links?
Tech Support could review your Admin/Diagnostics AP logs to help get deeper into what is or isn't connecting and why.
Photo of Alexey

Alexey

• 26 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Recently I have had upgraded my SZ cluster. I have seen some unexpected infos on screen during the process & had some stress untill it finished up. The surprize for engeneers & convoluted documentations are constant signature features of RUCKUS on my opinion.
So I think the reason may be in insufficient RAM or credencials specificities and you can try to upgrade whole the image by flash from USB port if it possible. Please sighn if it works course I II have to try the same soon...
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2570 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Hi Alexy, if you gather your details, please open a new question under the SmartZone and Virtual SmartZone category,
and maybe some SZ experts there can offer further advice:
https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/categories/ruckuswireless_smartcell_gateway
Photo of Said Sanoussi

Said Sanoussi

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hey guy's,
It seems the ZD has some hardware faults wich results in failing to upgrade. ruckus support is now looking into this issue. I guess it will be a replacement of hardware. Thx for all the feedback. 
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2566 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Thanks Said, it almost HAD to be the box after all you've tried...