Wireless between buildings

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
I currently have two buildings connected with fiber. I want to have these buildings connected with wireless as well as a backup route in case the fiber connection fails. Any tips on how I could achieve this?
Photo of Robert

Robert

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Ram

Ram

• 29 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Kurt,
You can go for our Bridge or point to point product - ZF 7731 which is designed for your requirement.
http://www.ruckuswireless.com/product...

regards

Ramprakash
Photo of Robert

Robert

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The distance between buildings is about 200 feet. Would this work with a ZoneDirector 1100? Would we need a 2nd ZoneDirector in the remote building?

How would I handle the redundant links or would this be configured in my switches?

Thanks
Photo of Red

Red

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Official Response
Kurt, 7731 supports up to 190 Mbps at 1.5 kilometers, and offers performance up to 50 Mbps at 10 km (LoS) .There is no need of a Zone Director for managing the 7731s, they work independently.

7731 bridge just forwards the traffic to its pair 7731, so the redundancy with the fiber should be configured on the switch side.
Photo of Robert

Robert

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Could those be mounted just inside the exterior wall or should they be mounted outside and pointed at each other? Thanks
Photo of Keith - Pack Leader

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Best performance will be if they are mounted exterior with clear line-of-sight. But it might be worth testing an interior mount to see if performance is adequate. Note that these units require some weather protection.
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 25 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Robert - We have a client set up like this. They have two buildings next to each other, primary office in building 1 on level 27 and secondary office in building 2 on level 30.
Both buildings have windows that face each other, so we set up a ZF7731 bridge on some heavy duty speaker stands in each window with around 60 meters distance between.

This is being used for their primary link which they run all their data across plus a set of ZoneDirector 3000's with 14 x ZF7982s in their primary building and 3 x ZF7982s in their secondary building.