Will R500/R600 support meshing?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I've noticed that SmartMesh support is curiously lacking from the R500/R600 data sheets. Am I reading too far between the lines that unlike the T300's and R700's, the R500/R600 will not support meshing?
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 545 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 3068 Posts
  • 440 Reply Likes
SmartMesh is not found on the R300 platform, but will be supported in an upcoming release for R700 model APs (some time in 9.9.x). I couldn't find the new product
introduction manager or a PM to get the answer on R500/R600, but will report back
shortly.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 545 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
Thanks Michael! I'm really curious about the R500/R600. They are priced a lot more appealingly for SMB and even high-end SOHO wackos like me, and they tend to be the folks that have the "sparse space, not a ton of clients" problem where meshing can be more cost-effective than running ethernet through all the walls.
Photo of Michael Brado

• 3068 Posts
  • 440 Reply Likes
Update from Product Line Marketing, indicates that R300 will also (eventually) have
SmartMesh support. The target date for the software release is still pending how-
ever.

Yes, Mesh is a future feature for R500 and R600.

Mesh is planned to be supported on all our current 11ac APs (R500, R600, R700, T300-series) in release 9.10.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 545 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
That's really helpful to know, Michael. Thanks!

I guess since 9.9 isn't even out the door yet, 9.10 is still a bit of a ways out? Probably next year's time frame?
Photo of Michael Brado

• 3068 Posts
  • 440 Reply Likes
Maybe, but probably just. The powers that be have decided to rename what would have been "9.9.1" maintenance release to "9.10" digits. This is a deviation from previous numbering schemes.
Photo of Lukas

Lukas

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Any (very rough) timeschedule for the release?
Photo of Michael Cooper

Michael Cooper

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Does the R700 support SmartMesh now? I tried about 8 months ago, but no love. Curious if I missed the notification that it does mesh at this point?
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 545 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
Not yet, as of 9.9.0.0.205/212.
Photo of Michael Cooper

Michael Cooper

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Copy that - for our business it's critical, and clients are starting to expect AC support from us. Thanks John
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 545 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
Yep, I totally understand. I've got one property that's still staying on 7982's because of how amazingly well SmartMesh is working. Before SmartMesh, I tried a million hacks for non-ethernet (including various consumer-grade WDS solutions, and powerline ethernet adapters of varying types), and they all resulted in intermittent connectivity issues that were a pain to diagnose. The SmartMesh has been completely set-it-and-forget-it, and it's amazing what the range is for a Ruckus AP talking to another Ruckus AP.

I really look forward too to 802.11ac meshing.
Photo of Michael Cooper

Michael Cooper

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Me too. I'm consistently surprised what the 7982, and the 7962 before it can do. Sometimes I forget exactly how powerful they are.
Photo of Jay Files

Jay Files, Employee

• 47 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Just FYI, the new 11ac APs will also mesh with 11n APs like the 7982, when 11ac mesh is launched.
Photo of Peter Corley

Peter Corley

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Any updates on the R600 utilizing mesh? I was given a couple of 7982's to demo and loved the mesh feature, along with the ZoneDirector it sold me over the Aruba (which my other candidate). I went ahead and placed my order for 85 R600's, as I was told that they were the same except the addition of AC, however I am now very concerned that this one major selling point may be a let down...

I am hoping there is already an update, or a fixed date for an update release, that will take care of this - I will really need the mesh, as I have some area's where running Ethernet will not be an option, I would hate to think I made the wrong choice and will end up with some major dead spots on campus.
Photo of Peter Corley

Peter Corley

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Any updates on the R600 utilizing mesh? I was given a couple of 7982's to demo and loved the mesh feature, along with the ZoneDirector it sold me over the Aruba (which my other candidate). I went ahead and placed my order for 85 R600's, as I was told that they were the same except the addition of AC, however I am now very concerned that this one major selling point may be a let down...

I am hoping there is already an update, or a fixed date for an update release, that will take care of this - I will really need the mesh, as I have some area's where running Ethernet will not be an option, I would hate to think I made the wrong choice and will end up with some major dead spots on campus.
Photo of Rahul Koul

Rahul Koul, Employee

• 79 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Hello Peter,

Mesh feature is available for all 11ac APs in 9.10 release. So R600 can also be used to mesh from version 9.10. This release was made public few days ago and the Image files are available on the Support website.

Sorry that you had to wait!

-Rahul
Photo of Michael Kroon

Michael Kroon

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi 

Is Smartmeshing for R300's supported as yet? I'm quite stuffed without this feature. New to ruckus,  come straight off the ubiquiti unifi bat. Not enjoying the experience of Ruckus so far.
Photo of Peter Corley

Peter Corley

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Michael, mine was simply an update issue and since that update the system had been amazing. I switched from a Xirrus covered campus to Ruckus and couldn't be happier, the performance and simplicity weren't matched with any other competitor I tested.

My understanding was that the R300 doesn't support meshing, at least at the time I purchased the system, which was my reasoning behind the R600 units - That may have changed since then however.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Brado

• 3068 Posts
  • 440 Reply Likes
Hi Peter,
   Product Marketing has no plans for Mesh in the entry-level positioned 802.11n 2x2:2 R300 model AP.
Mesh is supported in above level models, R500 802.11ac 2x2:2, and R600 802.11ac 3x3:3 stream models,
and higher platform R700 (802.11ac wave 1), R710 (802.11ac wave 2) 4x4:4 stream APs.
Photo of Michael Kroon

Michael Kroon

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the updates. I was misled by my supplier regarding the meshing capabilities of the R300. I'll have to  upgrade to R600's. Thanks
Photo of Abiola James

Abiola James

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Please can someone confirm that vSZ 3.1.1 does not support mesh on R710. My AP has always been in the mesh disabled state
Photo of David Henderson

David Henderson

• 100 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I was told that the R710 will not get mesh support until vSZ 3.5 ships which is sometime this summer. 
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 545 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000004122

The support article might be a bit dated -- claims vSZ 3.2 and ZoneFlex 10.0.
Photo of Abiola James

Abiola James

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you John, the link is exactly what i wanted. but it is Zonedirector 10.0 and not Zoneflex
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 545 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
Ruckus marketing is confusing. The ZD firmware is sometimes called ZoneDirector and other times called ZoneFlex, and sometimes even called SmartOS though they seemed to have given up on that moreso than the other names ;-)
Photo of Abiola James

Abiola James

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
oh?! I see
Photo of Lukas

Lukas

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I can confirm that with SZ 3.2.1 R710 and R600 can use mesh.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 545 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
Well, that's interesting. So when does ZoneDirector/ZoneFlex 10.0 come out? I'm running an extra AP for the sole purpose of establishing a mesh root node.