Will R500/R600 support meshing?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I've noticed that SmartMesh support is curiously lacking from the R500/R600 data sheets. Am I reading too far between the lines that unlike the T300's and R700's, the R500/R600 will not support meshing?
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2098 Posts
  • 296 Reply Likes
SmartMesh is not found on the R300 platform, but will be supported in an upcoming release for R700 model APs (some time in 9.9.x). I couldn't find the new product
introduction manager or a PM to get the answer on R500/R600, but will report back
shortly.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
Thanks Michael! I'm really curious about the R500/R600. They are priced a lot more appealingly for SMB and even high-end SOHO wackos like me, and they tend to be the folks that have the "sparse space, not a ton of clients" problem where meshing can be more cost-effective than running ethernet through all the walls.
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2098 Posts
  • 296 Reply Likes
Update from Product Line Marketing, indicates that R300 will also (eventually) have
SmartMesh support. The target date for the software release is still pending how-
ever.

Yes, Mesh is a future feature for R500 and R600.

Mesh is planned to be supported on all our current 11ac APs (R500, R600, R700, T300-series) in release 9.10.
Photo of Abiola James

Abiola James

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you John, the link is exactly what i wanted. but it is Zonedirector 10.0 and not Zoneflex
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
Ruckus marketing is confusing. The ZD firmware is sometimes called ZoneDirector and other times called ZoneFlex, and sometimes even called SmartOS though they seemed to have given up on that moreso than the other names ;-)
Photo of Abiola James

Abiola James

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
oh?! I see
Photo of Lukas

Lukas

• 24 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I can confirm that with SZ 3.2.1 R710 and R600 can use mesh.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
Well, that's interesting. So when does ZoneDirector/ZoneFlex 10.0 come out? I'm running an extra AP for the sole purpose of establishing a mesh root node.