Upgrading from Old ZoneDirector 1006 to ZoneDirector 1200

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I am upgrading my existing ZoneDirector 1006 with firmware 9.3.4 to a newly purchased ZoneDirector 1200 with the default firmware - which should be 9.8.something.

I have about 25 APs, VLAN config, SSID, all the bells and whistles including all the naming convention, location, very-very detailed settings..

I tried to backup the settings on the ZD1006, then proceed to ZD1200, and tried to restore...

Oops, bad news - the settings is not compatible and I am stuck.

I really don't wish to re-configure all the settings from scratch.. any-way I can migrate the configuration without having to re-do all the AP and WLAN information?
Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Anxious... Very Anxious...

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Max O'Driscoll

Max O'Driscoll, AlphaDog

• 343 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Think you need same firmware on both ZDs for compatibility.

Wait for a definitive from someone who's done it.

This post similar situation:
https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/what_is_the_best_practice_to_replace_zd1006_...
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2183 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes

Sorry Joke,

The graceful ZD (older model) to ZD (newer/larger model) would require that both models

of ZoneDirector can run the same firmware versions.  Unfortunately, the ZD1000 can only run

as high as 9.3.4 code, while the ZD1200 is first supported in 9.9.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000001430

You have no alternative but to re-define your WLANs on the new ZD1200, but you may find

the Log Analyzer (Rowdy) available on our Support site, can help you read the ZD1000 WLAN

details, for you to recreate them on the ZD1200.  I hope this is helpful.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000001412 

Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I thought about it, since I am a value-added reseller and partner, I talked with my distributor to loan me a ZD1100 to work as an interim migration device. I have 3 upcoming projects that are going to be set-up the exact same way, I guess i will have to borrow the ZD1100 3x to help with the migration.

In the event if I start from scratch, how will the new ZD detect the existing AP? is there an upgrade-take-over configuration that I need to do?
Photo of Monnat Systems

Monnat Systems, AlphaDog

• 776 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
yes, zd1100 in the interim would help. Just make sure when you start doing this, whatever firmware is on ZD1k, same shall be on ZD1100. as you upgrade(seriously read release notes) your ZD1100, please make sure you take config back up at every stage.
Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My distributor asks if it's possible for me to try using FlexMaster to do the transfer. They can issue me a trial version..

Anyone tried before? I am aware that FlexMaster has zone flex management capability, but am unsure if it can manage multiple zone directors to perform upgrades and transfer of firmware.

Any thoughts?
Photo of Max O'Driscoll

Max O'Driscoll, AlphaDog

• 343 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Not just about ZDs! Are your APs new? Old ones (if they originate with the ZD1006) are also going to be firmware limited...just a thought.
Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
my ZD is 1006, but my ZoneFlex APs are all 7343 and 7363, which is compatible with the OS 9.9 and above. As such, no issues here with re-using the APs for the new ZD1200.
Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi all. Can I check!

If I am upgrading following this:
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000001430

does this apply only to the ZoneDirector only, or does it also apply to the APs as well?
can the AP bypass the step-by-step upgrade and jump right from 9.3 to 9.9?

meaning, can I simply prepare all the upgrading in my office between ZD1006 > ZD1100 > ZD1200, and bring the up-to-date ZD1200 with settings and firmware 9.9, replace the current ZD1006 at my client's office and the APs will auto-upgrade accordingly from it's current 9.3 to 9.9?

any thoughts or ideas?

I think it'll work, just wanna make sure...

the reason i think it'll work is because when a newly purchased AP is set-up in a WIFI environment, the AP - whatever firmware it's on, will get auto-upgraded to the ZD firmware automatically...
Photo of Monnat Systems

Monnat Systems, AlphaDog

• 776 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
"supported" AP can upgrade/downgrade from any to any BUT you need to look for AP's which are supported. ZD1000 and ZD1200 are generation apart...
Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
yep, i have confirmed that my ZF7343 are supported in ZD1200 9.9 firmware.
I am having problem right now with my ZD1100 upgrade though. I am stuck in the upgrade progress from 9.5 to 9.7... it just get stuck with blinking red status light and it refuses to upgrade...
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2183 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
Hi Joke, Did you get as far as 9.5.3.0.44, before trying to go to 9.7?

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/410-zd1100-9-5-3-0-44-mr-software-release

If you simply do a ZD reboot, does it come back up (green Status LED) shortly, so you can try again?
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2183 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
The ZD 9.7.2.0.9 Release Notes do say you can upgrade from 9.5.1.0.50 however.

https://ruckus-support.s3.amazonaws.com/private/documents/488/9.7.2.0.9_-_ZoneFlex_9.7.2_Release_Not...

A ZD1100 can seem to take a long time to upload the image (flashing red LED), so sometimes give it up to 30 min.
Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I manage to get the 9.7.2.0.9 from my previously downloaded link. but It's not available on the website which I think your team might need to put in for ZD1100.

I manage to get to 9.5, and the problem only happened when trying to upgrade from 9.5 to 9.7.
The trick i used was to power-cycle first, then once I get into ZD after it was upgraded from 9.3 to 9.5, I went to the admin > maintenance > reboot > power off button. Once it's powered off, then I power-cycled the device again, and I was then able to upgrade to 9.7, and then later on to 9.8, and then to 9.9...

It was a really long and tedious process... albeit brainless..
Photo of Pat Marsteller

Pat Marsteller

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We are also migrating from a ZD1000 to a ZD1200.  We use the Zero-IT activation feature.  Users have PSKs assigned to their equipment.  What happens to them during the migration?  If I had to setup the 1200 from scratch could I import those PSKs somehow?
Photo of Monnat Systems

Monnat Systems, AlphaDog

• 776 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
let me try answering your situation in parts before you take a plunge...
  • ZD1000 and ZD1200 are generations apart so you need to make sure that before you start your migration ensure that AP's you have right now on ZD1000 is/are supported on ZD1200.
  • you can migrate your PSK's ok from ZD1000 to ZD1200 however you will have to borrow ZD1100 from someone may be your VAR/reseller because ZD1000 software support ended at 9.3 and ZD1200 starts at 9.9. configuration Back up from software ZD1000 will NOT work in ZD1200. Borrowed ZD1100 will help you fill the GAP left open to ensure proper DPSK migration from ZD1000 and ZD1200.
hope this helps.
Photo of Pat Marsteller

Pat Marsteller

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for your reply.  If I cannot get a ZD1100, is there a way to export the PSKs for the ZD1000 and import them into the ZD1200?
Photo of Monnat Systems

Monnat Systems, AlphaDog

• 776 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Pat,

No, I have not tried it.I would suggest that you check with support team on alternatives.

MS