Update 9.8.0.0.203 for ZoneDirectors

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Clicking through the documentation for R700 LCS Firmware, I notice a new update for ZD1100 hidden away in there, which I've happily downloaded... Being always keen to upset my network and try new things the moment they're released - I'm wondering what damage I could do by installing it? It's not available under "Downloads/Zonedirector/1100" which implies it is not intended for general release yet.
Photo of Martin Kane

Martin Kane

• 72 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Keith - Pack Leader

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi Martin,

That's correct - it's what's known as a "Limited Customer Ship" or LCS release. This is the first time we've used the support site to distribute it. In part because the new R700 802.11AC access-point requires this software version (9.8).

We don't let an LCS release go out with serious known issues, but there are several known issues (see the release notes) it went out with..the purpose of this phase of our release cycle is to get code out for early adopters who might need a particular feature (or bought an R700..), but it is not yet the level of quality we would designate as "general availability" or GA (which will be a later 9.8.0.xxx release).

Make sense?

-Keith
Photo of Martin Kane

Martin Kane

• 72 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Thanks, Keith. Well explained. So "use at your peril" at this stage.... :)

Cheers
Martin

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
We think it's pretty solid overall (we learned some hard lessons with 9.5..) but if you don't need it my recommendation is to wait for the GA release (9.8.0.tbd) at minimum.

Our goal is that the first MR (9.8.1) would only be needed by a few customers and in practice with 9.6 this has proven true - far more customers are running 9.6.0 than are running 9.6.1.
Photo of Max O'Driscoll

Max O'Driscoll, AlphaDog

• 332 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
I noticed the 9.8 LCS release and spotted a few items of possible joy in release notes:

[interesting]
5.1.3. Role Based Access Control
Role Based Access Control allows multiple roles to be able to connect to the
same SSID with different access privileges. Administrators can apply VLAN,
rate limiting, permitted device type and service schedule policies to different
users based on their roles within the organization without having to create
separate SSIDs for different sets of users.

[could be very helpful]
5.1.7. Client Band Balancing
Band Balancing steers clients towards the less-utilized radio band on dual radio APs.

[useful]
5.1.12. Minor GUI updates including changes to the Restore screen and a button to
export managed AP list to CSV file

[excellent but will wait to see what it entails]
5.1.22. SmartPositioning Location-Based Service (SPoT)
This release introduces Ruckus’ SmartPositioning Technology (SPoT)
location-based service. The SPoT solution is a cloud-based positioning
technology that works with Ruckus ZoneDirector and ZoneFlex Access Points
to accurately pinpoint user locations in real time in any indoor environment.
Photo of Ron Jameson

Ron Jameson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wanted to jump in, as we are testing the R700 now and realize we cannot join it to the ZD1106 we have with 9.7.1 . What is the ETA for the 9.8 on ZD so we can test the R700?

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi Ron,

You were supposed to have received the secret handshake when the R700s were ordered, so my apologies for that oversight. I could send the links to you, but 9.8 is literally just around the corner, so if you don't mind waiting a few days, that's probably best versus upgrading twice in succession. But let us know if you need it sooner.
Photo of LONNIE

LONNIE

• 73 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I put this release of 9.8 on my 1100 to play with it, but would like to downgrade to the latest 9.7 release. Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of?
Photo of Drew

Drew

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Any word on when 9.8 will be available?
Photo of Max O'Driscoll

Max O'Driscoll, AlphaDog

• 332 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Last recent mention I heard was soon/days/this week (from Keith) but these things change and slip (always with good reason).

edit:
I was looking around for his original comment and then found it on this thread 2 post up. Doh! So the almost official word was "just around the corner" or few days.

I must be bored.

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
It is slipping a bit to ensure we've adequately addressed all the feedback from the LCS phase.
Photo of Drew

Drew

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Please let me know when to expect it as I have an install waiting. Thanks :)

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Contacted you offline for the LCS release.
Photo of Pat Moore

Pat Moore

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
So I just received my R700 starter kit and ZD 3000. How is it that this is being sold as a starter kit and it is not GC yet? Before putting these 10 AP's in production how much longer until 9.8 is released?
Photo of Monnat Systems

Monnat Systems, AlphaDog

• 760 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Pat,

My hunch is that at the time R700 hardware got released only 9.8 LCS was available that is why you are seeing this.

Anyway ZD3000 official 9.8.0.0.373 GA Software Release is out now, you can upgrade your ZD3000 and that should suffice.