unleashed r710 firmware problems - don't buy this product

• Idea
  • Updated 7 months ago
my network engineer and I spent over 20 hours with their support and engineering to determine why password protected throughput was a fraction of the open net perf.  finally found the solution:  roll back the firmware!   so we spent all this time confirming their firmware is buggy and not adequately QC'd.  When I asked what consideration they might provide for the enormous inconvenience and net security risks we endured over two months of online support sessions, I got "sorry", then crickets.   Never had such a bad experience with what appears to be a respectable company.  
Photo of bld

bld

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • very frustrated

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Hi Bruce,

please check out this discussion thread.
 https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/slow-download-speeds-r710-unleashed

from my tests.... throughput suffers most with 200.7.x

seems to impact iOS devices a lot. 
Going back to 200.6.x firmware it improves

rolling back to 200.4.x firmware gives you the best performance.

IT has impacted a lot of new Lennar Smart home owners that have r510s.  Lot of the new owners so far I noticed sold their r510 cheap for around $110-$130 on ebay

Ruckus has only started investigating the issue. Hopefully they’ll fix it soon.
(Edited)
Photo of bld

bld

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
yes.  ticket closed.  problem solved by firmware downgrade.  they made my team suffer through countless hours of testing that should have done prior to release.  really bad quality management and customer service
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
You should consider reopening your ticket since that doesn’t really solve the problem for future unleashed firmware when the development team doesn’t know about it. 
Since you have an active support contract you should have michael_brado escalate your ticket so the bug can be properly reported to the development engineers so it can be fixed in future unleashed revisions.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
It just really bad that they closed the ticket.   
Photo of bld

bld

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
dev was directly involved in several of the online sessions.  they know there is a problem.  as you can see, it is widely noted in the community board.  they think a downgrade is an acceptable resolution, I guess
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Can you give your ticket number to Michael Brado so he can look it up and talk with the Technical Software Engineers.
(Edited)
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Did you ever open a ticket with Ruckus?
Photo of Logan Taylor

Logan Taylor

• 14 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Currently I work for a Ruckus Disty and have had no issues with firmware so far, I understand the issues with apple products and not being great without fast roaming on but so far I have had no issues that cant be fixed without settings.
their TAC support isnt the best hence why we try to support ourselves and our customers.
if you need any more info I will do some testing and let you know.

Kind Regards,
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
I know it doesn't happen in all RF environments, but it's is an issue that's affecting a lot of end users where a single iOS device can't pull fast enough bandwidth for downloads where it drops below 100mbps on downloads on devices that use 802.11ac. Funny thing even my Unifi AC LR is faster than the R710 when on unleashed firmware 200.7.x. which is sad under the same channel settings and conditions.  This is a major bug that is also affecting New Lennar Smart home buyers which come with Ruckus R510 and the performance is very poor that a lot of the home owners sold their R510 on ebay.  The poor firmware which is unlike Ruckus before has really damaged their reputation. Note: this is just with basic unleashed wizard configurations...  nothing more. even if it's just a single AP and no other APs are involved.. it's still very bad.... even when sticking to the same channel and 80Hz settings.  Unleashed 200.7.x performance is very bad under certain RF environments. When you drop back to 200.6.x firmware downloads speeds go up to 250-350mbps. When you drop back to 200.4.x firmware downloads speeds go up to 500-650mbps under the same conditions and same device. From my testing... Something changed starting in Unleashed firmware 200.5.x firmware which is probably causing a snowball effect and gets really bad at firmware 200.7.x where it becomes very noticeable.
(Edited)
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
I know it also affects my clients too so I've kept them at unleashed firmware 200.6.x for now.
Photo of joseph nguyen

joseph nguyen

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
really crappy product and support. we have the same issue on the R510 Unleashed. Theres a long thread of the same issue on this forum started by me. Freaking pain in the but. They're still trying to harras me to spend more time to help them debug and provide them logs. I have work too you know... I had to downgrade to 200.6 but giving up 1/2 the bandwidth... unbelievable. seems. its can be a class action on these kinds of practices of knowingly throwing crappy firmware into the market costing end users lost of bandwidth and productivity....
Photo of Logan Taylor

Logan Taylor

• 14 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Ok just got off of the phone to a customer who had solid 450 meg on 5ghz to all devices that we could test on new FW so still not sure on why some are having issues.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Not sure if this bug also affects ZD and SZ deployments.  However,  if it is a wifi driver issue the development should also impact ZD and SZ deployments since it should share the same wifi drivers. I also know under the same conditions, it impacts standalone firmware 110.x and when rolling back to 104.x  standalone it has no issues.
(Edited)
Photo of zhoulander

zhoulander

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
The same performance bug is affecting my R720 on the newest ZD1200 firmware with my iPads and iPhones.
Photo of Logan Taylor

Logan Taylor

• 14 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Have you tried forcing the channel width to 80mhz and enabling Fast BSS under advanced options under SSID that should get you fastest speeds.

Photo of Sander Groen

Sander Groen

• 34 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
How are you all testing upload and download speeds? From client to AP or from client to internet? The unleashed app has an option under troubleshooting to test down and upload speeds. A zonedirector has speedflex. Just curious what ya'll are using. I have 3 R710 which are ZD1200 controlled. (Running 10.3.1.0 build 21 firmware). I also see much faster upload speeds then download. Thanks.
Photo of bld

bld

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
used both speedflix [ruckus test app] and speedtest [free download].  got consistent results
Photo of bld

bld

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I spent sessions directly with their engineering team and escalated support.  nothing worked other than firmware downgrade.