Tried upgrading VSZ-E from 5.0 to 5.1.0.0.496 - Can't login to Web UI.

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
Tried upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1.0.0.496 - Can't login to Web UI. After the 45-60 minutes of it coming back online, I was presented with the login page. Click the button to login, see one moment please on the button, then it kicks me back to the login screen. Thinking that it hadn't started all the services, I waited another half hour. Same problem.

Logged into the console via SSH and ran show service. All services that had a status showed online. Shutdown the VM via the console.

Powered on the VM and waited 6 hours. Same issue. I noticed that the browser displays it is trying to contact the googleapi site during the brief login, so I tried allowing traffic from the controller to the domain without any change.

Restored the entire VM from a backup, took a snapshot and tried the upgrade again. Same problem. Reverted to the snapshot.

I thought that it was fine to upgrade to a non 0 build. I should have known better than to attempt an upgrade 2 days after release.
Photo of Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • annoyed

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of EightOhTwoEleven

EightOhTwoEleven

• 103 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Thanks for the heads up! I was bummed that I forgot to upgrade ours during the weekend. Might give ours a try tonight, and will post the results.
Photo of Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Please do. I will be interested to find out if someone else has this problem.

EightOhTwoEleven

• 103 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Upgrade worked like a charm. vSZ-E - non clustered.
Photo of Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I wonder why mine doesn't want to login.
Photo of Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I should also add, if it makes any difference, this is running on VMware ESXi 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.5.

EightOhTwoEleven

• 84 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
We have the same versioning.
Photo of pmonardo

pmonardo, Employee

• 29 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I upgraded it the same day it was released. no issues. Vmware ESXi 6.0
Photo of Lindisfarne IT

Lindisfarne IT

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We have the same issue where we cannot log in to Web UI after updating to vSZ 5.1. We were running 3.6.2 and read the upgrade notes thoroughly and thought it should be okay being a .1 release.

WiFi is still up and running fine, we just can't log in to make changes or enrol our new R730s that arrived yesterday... we do have a snapshot but can see via SSH that some APs have already taken the 5.1 firmware so waiting to hear from support before we revert.

We are using vCenter 6.7 and ESXi 6.5

Ryan, when you reverted did you have any APs on 5.1?
(Edited)
Photo of Lindisfarne IT

Lindisfarne IT

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
SO we were able to resolve the issue by changing the admin password via CLI. Apparently, v5.1 has issues with special characters in the password...
Photo of Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Sorry. I stopped following this thread for awhile. I definitely have special characters. Guess that is the issue.
Photo of pmonardo

pmonardo, Employee

• 35 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I suggest that TAC cases should be open if you are running into issues like this. They can perform a deeper look into these issues. Might discover something along the way. 
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 3010 Posts
  • 425 Reply Likes
Hello,
   I filed a bug ER-6965: SZ 5.1 Special Char at end of Admin PW breaks GUI login after upgrade.

If you have run into this bug, please open a case and ask the TSE to provide the .KSP engineering patch.
The .KSP needs to be applied to all the nodes in a cluster, and services need to be restarted afterward to
make the changes take place.

Please report if this solved your problem to the TSE, who will update our bug for DE/QA who provided the fix.
(Edited)
Photo of Lindisfarne IT

Lindisfarne IT

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi,

I have heard there is an issue with special characters at the end of the password but our password did not end with a special character. We did have special characters within the password though and this issue was resolved when we reset the password in the CLI (new password has an @ but no other special characters).

Good luck

EightOhTwoEleven

• 103 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
We have a special character in our admin password as well, heck it's even at the end. The upgrade still worked for us, no problems.
Photo of Jason Burns

Jason Burns

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I just ran into this myself.  Upgraded my vSZ from 3.6.1 -> 3.6.2 -> 5.1.0 per Ruckus support's request.  After the 5.1 upgrade I'm unable to log in via the web GUI or the CLI.  There's a special character at the end of the CLI password, but not the web GUI one.  Not sure why both are broke but I'm kinda screwed at the moment.
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 3010 Posts
  • 425 Reply Likes
The ER-6965 bug got fixed.  SZ 5.1.1 will have the fix built-in.  If you need it, open a case, and ask TAC to provide the .KSP patch from ER-6965 until then.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us
Photo of Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Is the patch applied prior to upgrading to 5.1?

EightOhTwoEleven

• 103 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I assume TAC would need to backdoor install this if people can't login to the GUI/CLI?
Photo of Jason Burns

Jason Burns

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
That's what I'm curious about.  I have no idea how I'm supposed to do anything with this since I can't log into either interface...
Photo of Jason Burns

Jason Burns

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
As an update, we were able to login to the device via SSH.  I used the password that previously worked for the web GUI to login via SSH.  Once connected, type enable then enter your CLI password.  After that type changepassword and press enter. Enter the old Web GUI password in the "old password" prompt then enter a new password.  After that I was able to login.  I was told by the tech that the 5.1.1 patch should be available sometime next week.
Photo of Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Any idea on when 5.1.1 will be released for vsz-e?
Photo of pmonardo

pmonardo, Employee

• 29 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Please reach out to your local account rep for a roadmap. Roadmaps cannot be discussed here. 
Photo of Jason Burns

Jason Burns

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I was told 3 weeks ago that it would be available within a week.  Who knows when it will actually come out...