Speed Throttling

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
Recently purchased two R510 for my home connected through a gigabit switch to a router. Cat6 wiring all around. Connection speed is 200mbps. I am able to get 180mbps down when connected to the router. When i connect to the Ruckus, the speed seems to throttle exactly at 50mbps down. Any solutions ?
Photo of Abinav Devakar

Abinav Devakar

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2839 Posts
  • 397 Reply Likes
Not enough information...  What kind of client, what WLAN authentication and distance from AP(s)?
Create a WLAN on 2.4G only and one on 5G only, and test individually.  You should see better
throughput on 5G.
Photo of Abinav Devakar

Abinav Devakar

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi. The installation was done by a network company but they do not seem to know what the problem is as I am their first Ruckus customer. If you could help me find out where I might be able to find these settings, I can post them here.

P.s I’ve since upgraded to a gigabit connection, I see a 1000mbps uplink on the AP’s portal. Both AP are bridged to provide a single SSID and yet speed seems to limit to little less than 100mbps.

Also this is not the unleashed version.

Authentication is WPA. Distance between both the AP is around 30 feet.
(Edited)
Photo of Phil Coverdale

Phil Coverdale, Principal Technical Support Engineer

• 15 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Abinav,

Are you using WPA or WPA2?
The higher data rates will only be achieved by using WPA2 with AES.

Regards,

Phil.
Photo of Abinav Devakar

Abinav Devakar

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Encryption method is WPA. WPA version was WPA+WPA2 , now it seems like it throttles to 100mbps instead of lower after changing to WPA2. Authentication is PSK and algorithm is AES. Pcket forward is ‘Bridge to WAN’ as it’s the right mode when connected to a switch I assume.
Edit: I’ll upload some images of my settigs once i get home.
(Edited)
Photo of Abinav Devakar

Abinav Devakar

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of Abinav Devakar

Abinav Devakar

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I followed similar setting for second AP as well.
Photo of Eizens Putnins

Eizens Putnins

• 118 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
1. Locating 2 APs on  distance 30 feet from each other oesn't make sense. Any client works at any time with just one AP, so additional AP nearby will not improve a speed in any way, but may create interference if channels are not properly configured. 
2. As Phil mentioned, you must use WPA2, not WPA -- using WPA makes any  AP limited to 802.11g speeds - it's 54MB/s  max. WPA is also unsecure.
3. Wi-Fi adapters of your clients may be limiting speed. To know what speed you may expect you must know what kind of adapter your client device has -- whihc band is used, is it 802.11g (54 MB/s max), 802.11n with 1x1 or 2x2 MIMO (150 and 300MB/s), and if 20MHz or 40MHz channels are used (40 MHz channels double 802.11n capacity to 300 and 600MB/s).
4. Taking into account Wi-Fi principles, real throughput is always lower than connection rate, even if you are the only users of WiFi in this neighbourhood (which probably isn't a case). If there are other networks on same channel, you are sharing throughput with them.
5. If you really want get help, provide detailed info about your system and configuration, or, better get somebody knowing Wi-Fi look on your system. 
For me 2 and 3 reason seems most realistic in your case, but without more details nobody can help you...
Ruckus APs are great, so if you have low speeds, you have bad client, bad conditions, or wrong configuration. Probably, all 3 in the same time...
Hope it helps,
Regards
Photo of Abinav Devakar

Abinav Devakar

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for this. I’m trying to change the settings prt by part to see any of it makes a difference. My encryption mode is only WEP or WPA, i can only see WPA2 as encryption version.
Photo of Abinav Devakar

Abinav Devakar

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
UPDATE: So I'm currently getting around 110Mb/s up and down on 2.4GHZ and 450Mb/s up and down on 5GHZ. Quite happy with the 5GHZ speed but still not able to figure out what I can do to improve the 2.4GHZ band. 

UPDATE2: So i finally managed to upgrade both the APs to the Unleashed firmware. I've created one as the Master AP and deployed a secondary AP and have only a single SSID. Now I'm getting a throughput of 350MB/s up and down which is the maximum of the 2.4GHZ band for the R510. How do I create a separate SSID with 5GHZ band to get its max throughout ?
UPDATE3:: So i found a way to use just 2.4GHZ only but then it goes back to 100Mb/s. Looks like it was using 5GHZ. 
(Edited)