smartzone 100 managed ap

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Hi all,

Want to ask question about Smartzone 100.
If I have 1500 ap need to be managed by Smartzone 100 so I need to purchase at least 2 Smartzone 100 for clustering mode to handle all of the 1500 aps ?
Photo of Vincent Voo

Vincent Voo

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Sanjay Kumar

Sanjay Kumar, Employee

• 259 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Hi Vincent,

Yes you need it. Below is the ZD spec sheet, check out the "Capacity" section.
https://www.ruckussecurity.com/datasheets/ds-smartzone-100.pdf
Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Official Rep

• 551 Posts
  • 175 Reply Likes
Hi Vincent,

One SZ100 supports upto 1024 APs.

Please keep in mind that if you use two SZ100 as a cluster to manage upto 2048 APs and one of the SZ100 goes down, then only 1024 APs will be managed and rest of the APs will be disconnected from cluster.
You should consider SZ100x3 node cluster, if you want to manage up-to 2048 APs with active redundancy.

Alternate and better option is use "virtualSmartZone - High scale", as single vSZ-H node can manage upto 10000 APs (with maximum hardware resource level).

Refer the data sheet here.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Photo of Javier Valdes

Javier Valdes

• 28 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi Syamantak,

I wasn't aware of that possibility. AFAIK in order for a SZ-100 to handle more than 1024 APs a 3-node cluster would be required, because having only a two node cluster only 1024 APs would be supported.  So is there a way to have only a 2-node cluster and support 2048 APs?

Best regards,
Photo of Sanjay Kumar

Sanjay Kumar, Employee

• 258 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Hi Javier,

Yes, if you have 2 SZ-100 in a cluster, you can manage upto 2048 APs. But As Syamantak mentioned above, if one SZ goes down then it cannot maintain 2048 APs. 1024 APs will be managed and rest of the APs will be disconnected from cluster.
Photo of Javier Valdes

Javier Valdes

• 28 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thanks both, Syamantak and Sanjay, I didn't know about this.
I know this is Vincent's post, but I'd like to ask one more thing.
Is there a specific setting to achieve this? Once we had a scenario with a 2-node cluster but the limit was 1024 APs or at least that's what I thought. Maybe that was my bad, assuming this and I didn't double checked the AP capacity limit.
Photo of Syamantak Omer

• 551 Posts
  • 175 Reply Likes
No, there is no specific setting, just configure first SZ100 as a fresh cluster and then add the second SZ100 to it.

Make sure you have sufficient AP licenses.
Photo of Mohammad Adil

Mohammad Adil

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
if i have a single SZ100 only and i am adding another SZ100 for redundency do i need to purchase liscences again for the second controller?
Photo of Syamantak Omer

• 551 Posts
  • 175 Reply Likes
Hi Adil,

AP licenses are not required on second controller because SZ100 in a cluster uses the AP license from the available cluster AP pool.

For example, if I have 100 AP licenses mapped to SZ100-1 and later If I add another SZ100 (SZ100-2) to cluster, total capacity will remain 100 AP for this cluster. Means I can connect 100 APs to this SZ100x2 cluster.

Though you should purchase support contract for second SZ100, as future upgrade are not possible without support contract for each SZ-100.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer
Photo of Vincent Voo

Vincent Voo

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Syamantak and Javier,

Thank you for the advice. 
Photo of Syamantak Omer

• 418 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes