smartzone 100 issue with AP's recover.me ssid

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
We have a SZ 100 and randomly all of the AP's lost their SSID and broadcasted Recover.Me. We rebooted the AP's and the SZ with no luck. I then factory reset an AP and added it back to the SZ and still it had the recover.me ssid. I then loaded a backup of our SZ before our last upgrade from 5.1.2.0.302->5.2.0.0.699 and that fixed it for about 8 hours. Then it happened again. We do not have a mesh network as that's the only thing I've found that can cause this to happen. Any ideas?

The AP's are R610 and they show up as online on the SZ and we can ping them from the SZ and from the AP I can ping the SZ.

Thank you!
Photo of John Kay

John Kay

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Albert Pierson

Albert Pierson, Employee

• 176 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Hi John,

The AP's send unicast ARP's to the configured Default Gateway (ARPings) to verify they have connectivity.  Make sure your gateway is responding to these ARP's.  AP's that think they lost contact to the Default Gateway will transmit the recovery SSID to allow accessing the AP that might be remotely mounted to diagnose the issue.

An AP that has been under SZ control use the AP admin password as PSK for access to recovery SSID.

Hope this helps.

thanks

Albert
Photo of John Kay

John Kay

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When you say the configured default gateway is that the ip of the sz? We have the sz and the ap's on a management vlan with no internet access.
Photo of Albert Pierson

Albert Pierson, Employee

• 176 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
How are you providing IP's to the AP's - via DHCP or statically?

This configuration should include a default gateway that can reply to unicast ARP requests.

This is standard IP configuration stuff.

If you are not allowing routing on the management VLAN and do not have an existing Default Gateway on this VLAN you could use the vSZ IP as the Default Gateway IP address but having a local router on the management VLAN is a better design.  The vSZ should reply to ARP's but this adds load to the vSZ.

To check what default gateway the AP has received use the AP SSH/CLI command - get ipaddr wan

Photo of John Kay

John Kay

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No, I just set it to a random IP since there is no default gateway on this network.

Should I put the SZ IP as the default gateway?
Photo of Albert Pierson

Albert Pierson, Employee

• 176 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Yes, that should work, and that is very likely your issue.

Or you can use the IP of any device on the same VLAN that will reply to ARP requests.

(Edited)
Photo of John Kay

John Kay

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I changed the default gateway on the AP to be the SZ and still no luck.
Photo of John Kay

John Kay

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I disabled the recovery SSID and I'm not just not able to get it to broadcast any SSID.
Photo of Albert Pierson

Albert Pierson, Employee

• 176 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
What is the status and configuration status displaying for the AP in the SZ GUI under Access Point Monitor page?  If the AP is connected the status should be "online" and if the configuration has been sent it should show configuration status "up to date"

You can check if the AP is configured for the AP's by SSH to the AP and run the command: get wlanlist

To further diagnose the problem download the AP support file, if the AP is online this is done by highlighting the AP and then from the "more" pulldown menu select "Download support log".  If the AP is not online then you can generate and save this file from the AP SSH/CLI by turning on logging and running 2 commands: support (this generates the file) - support show (this scrolls the file to the SSH tool ofr logging).  You will probably need to open a support ticket with Ruckus to get help in diagnosing the problem.

Photo of John Kay

John Kay

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
As of right now all of the APs show online and have "New Configuration" as the Configuration Status. 

I am not seeing any options for Download support log though
Photo of Albert Pierson

Albert Pierson, Employee

• 176 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
While the AP is showing online there must be some AP to SZ communication issue as the configuration has not been received and acknowledged by the AP (New Configuration means the configuration update to the AP is pending).

The AP support info file is downloaded from the SZ GUI by highlighting the AP then selecting "Download support" from the more pull down in the menu bar above (this is from an vSZ-H, it may be different on SZ-100):

In the example above it is greyed out because the AP is offline.

If there is a communication issue from AP to SZ then the support log may not be retrievable from the SZ gui ... but give it a try.

There could be lots of reasons why the AP is not getting the configuration.  Network/firewall ACL issues, AP operational issues or code problems.  Diagnosing this via the Forums is probably not possible.