Slow Download Speeds R710 Unleashed

• Question
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • Answered
Strange issue with R710 on latest unleashed firmware. Upload speeds consistently incredible on both laptop and phone but downloads even from 5 ft away never go over 200 but stay consistent through 3 thick walls. Speedflex on android shows 550 up 550 down to AP. Iperf reflects speedtest.net results. Cable shouldn't be the problem as I have plugged my laptop on it and gotten the gigabit fiber speeds I should be getting. I have factory reset it countless times set everything to auto and tried manually setting the bands and channel width, am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
Photo of Max P

Max P

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of David Henderson

David Henderson

• 115 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
We are waiting on this as well
Photo of EightOhTwoEleven

EightOhTwoEleven

• 172 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
It's good to know they released the update to all of the home users, while us enterprise customers (with more than 600 deployed APs) just sit here waiting. Awesome. 
(Edited)
Photo of David Henderson

David Henderson

• 115 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I am also waiting on the next release of firm for vSZ to fix this issue
https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/radius-server-unreachable-events

EightOhTwoEleven

• 172 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Looks like today might be our lucky day. 
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 596 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
How come? Is there news of a pending vSZ update?

EightOhTwoEleven

• 172 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
5.2.1 I was told was GA yesterday (may have been GA sooner, but that was what I was told), so why they are slow rolling the update out is beyond me at this point. I was told it just needed to be uploaded.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 596 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
Ah neat, looking forward to looking at the release notes.

I was really close to pulling the trigger on switching all of my managed sites to a single vSZ instance in the cloud, but vSZ 5.2.0 being affected by the WPA2 slowdown issue was the showstopper issue.

I'm also hoping 5.2.1 brings more 11ax features like TxBf on the R730, Mesh on 11ax, etc.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 596 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
Looks like vSZ 5.2.1 release notes just got posted. It definitely includes the WPA2 performance fix, some miscellaneous Wifi 6 and Channelfly improvements (too numerous to list).

It dropped the section with the table of Wifi 6 features and which APs support it.
Photo of zibei li

zibei li

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
...my premium support account is expired...seems there is no way that i can download the latest ximg..sad:
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 596 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
Downlink and uplink throughput both look better on R730, much closer to some competing 8x8 APs.

New ChannelFly is a huge improvement, it isn't very hoppy and settles down within just a few minutes. It's been 12+ hours since the last hop.

The release notes mention this, but the new ChannelFly seems much better at not defaulting to overlapping channels. The old ChannelFly would frequently have all of my APs settle on a quiet channel and then when one AP transmits, all the others hop away.

Overall we might have a SZ release worthy of replacing 3.6.2 as the golden stable one!
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 596 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
On the bad news side for the R730, though, it seems like DL-OFDMA might be enabled though I couldn’t convince the R730 to use it on my iPhone 11 Pro (unlike with another Hawkeye v2 AP from another vendor)

But in the beacon I don’t see MU-MIMO, MU beamforming, 802.11ac SU beamforming is only one way (beamformer capable, not beamformee cable). TWT is also one directional.

So it seems like only half of the 802.11ac wave 2 features are enabled. It would be great to see some Ruckus guidance on supported features, the helpful table on the vSZ 5.2.0 release notes disappeared from the 5.2.1 release notes.
Photo of Charles Taylor

Charles Taylor

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for addressing this issue! My faith in Ruckus is restored.

Now, please NEVER do something like this again....
Photo of Stephen Hall

Stephen Hall

• 43 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
hey guys, check out my r720 post from TWO YEARS ago,  with this exact same issue (standalone and unleashed FWs at the time).   Also i spoke with ruckus support direcly about this issue (phone) and he filed a case at the time,  and i never heard anything further about it.   Very disappointing
ruckus:

https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/r720-ios-performance-horrible-if-wpa2-encryption-enabled-on-fw-110
Photo of Charles Taylor

Charles Taylor

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. While the performance problem is fixed, now it's a reliability problem.

My clients ramdomly get disconnected. Sometimes they reconnect, sometimes that can't without turning WiFi off and back on. I suspect something's going wrong with the handoff when the clients roam or maybe when the APs change channels? I don't know.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 596 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
Clients can cope poorly with channel changes. If you're seeing clients get disconnected frequently, the first troubleshooting I'd recommend is to assign channels statically for all APs. For most Unleashed-sized networks, this shouldn't be too tedious.
Photo of Joey Lu

Joey Lu

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am using 200.8.10.3.290 on T710, seems the issue still exists. I got around  250Mbps/700Mbps, very poor for downloading. Is there a final fix?