Slow Download Speeds R710 Unleashed

• Question
  • Updated 1 day ago
  • Acknowledged
Strange issue with R710 on latest unleashed firmware. Upload speeds consistently incredible on both laptop and phone but downloads even from 5 ft away never go over 200 but stay consistent through 3 thick walls. Speedflex on android shows 550 up 550 down to AP. Iperf reflects speedtest.net results. Cable shouldn't be the problem as I have plugged my laptop on it and gotten the gigabit fiber speeds I should be getting. I have factory reset it countless times set everything to auto and tried manually setting the bands and channel width, am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
Photo of Max P

Max P

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I also can confirm this bug also affects the R500 too using unleashed firmware 200.7.x  and 200.6.x
To get the best performance is to drop by down to 200.4.x unleashed firmware. 
When comparing 200.4.x and 200.6.x on the R500 under same conditions etc... we are looking about averaging on downloads with speedflex  on a iPad Pro 2018 
Firmware 200.4.x  Downloads about averaging 220mbps  (downloads speeds are pretty consistent)
Firmware 200.6.x  Downloads about 150-175mbps. (starts out slow and builds up)

As I have noted this also impacts R500 and more likely impacts the R600 for unleashed firmware. 

I also would like to speak on behalf of other R500 and R600 owners that this bug has been around for the last two years which went unnoticed by most people. Because that the R500 and R600 are EOL, I implore Ruckus as a company that is known for it's reputation for their APs for high performance and reliability  to at least consider releasing a new firmware in 200.7.x in fixing this performance issue before abandoning the R500, R600, and possibility the R310. 

I believe this bug which  a high performance issue is more likely impacting all of Ruckus's 802.11ac wave 1 and wave 2 product lines ranging from Unleashed, ZD, and SZ when developed the same time when the bug first appeared. 

I know this is a educated guess .. but it's something to be explored. 
Photo of JJ

JJ

• 14 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I'm getting 220mbps currently with Speedflex running on 200.6 unleashed on R500, but i do get worse results with 200.7 (GA and refresh1, haven't bothered to test refresh2). Test client is iPad Air 2.

I'm kinda tempted to test 200.4 now but my internet tops out at 80mbps so it's not really an issue for me...Here in Australia we're unlikely to get much better than 100mbps even for those lucky to be on fibre not vdsl2 like me.
(Edited)
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
JJ, 

I did my tests pretty quick at a relatives place where I setup a r500 for them a few months ago.  So it’s not the same RF environment as I did my tests on my wave 2 APs. However, I am curious to see what you get. But do note, I do believe this bug doesn’t impact impact everyone and depends on rf environment and devices.

I’ll probably redo a test of the r500 in the same conditions as I did with the wave 2 aps soon just to make sure.
(Edited)
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
(Edited)
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
 However what’s interesting,  is the bug impacts encrypted WiFi connection vs open WiFi  from what Bruce mentions in his post.

Michael Brando, can you escalate his ticket if he reopens the ticket?
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
very interesting... that someone else had a issue with slow throughput on 200.5.x fimrware  but on a R500.... this one is a old 2 year old thread... after 200.5.x came out...

https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/r500-slow-troughput-high-latency-high-packet...

so 200.4.x was faster..

Photo of Taylor Wall

Taylor Wall

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Just got a Ruckus R720, and speeds are max 170-220 when one client is connected. (Iphone 11 or Pixel 4.)

Speeds on our Comcast router were over 400 through the floor. Gigabit fiber line going into the access point provides 800-900mb/s.

Tested with Unleashed 200.5 .6 and .7.

No traffic shaping, QoS, or other limits are in place, and the access point has been set to defaults three or four times.

There are no other neighbors in the 5Ghz band and I'm on a corner lot. The only other network is my Powerline Ethernet one at the bottom of the range, and the Ruckus at the top of the range.

Channel width of 80 for the 5ghz network.

Unfortunately this routers it new enough that I don't see a 200.4 firmware for it. Does that exist somewhere?
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Taylor wall,

Unfortunately, 200.4.x doesn't support the R720.  You could try standalone firmware 
110.0.0.0.663 and 106.0.0.99.1363..... I suspect 110.x will have that issue too since that version affected the R710 to... but 106.0.0.99.1363 was only released specifically for the R720 or any APs that came out around the time... I know 106.x does not exist for the other APs like R710, R610, R510..

what's also interesting from what I read from two other unleashed users if you turn off encryption should be a lot faster... haven't tested that yet.. but I wonder if the bug has to do with encryption. 
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Taylor wall, 

Just want to make sure you are not in gateway mode right?
Photo of Taylor Wall

Taylor Wall

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No, I have a Microtik router acting as the gateway, and it assigns all the IP addresses.

(I am using the passthrough ethernet for a powerline ethernet data connection to a box plugged in on the other side of the house, but that device is also getting an IP address from the Microtik router, and even if I unplug it the issue persists.)

R720 is powered by a wall plug so it shouldn't be crippled with one radio either.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Taylor Wall,

Which Mikrotik router do you have? Also I’m assuming  that you tested your wired speeds already with the mikrotik. It’s more likely that it’s the same bug in unleashed, but i had to ask the other questions just to rule out other stuff.
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I examined the Downloadspeed problem today.
Ruckus R710 with Ipad Air2.
Firmware 200.7xxx

With WPA2 encryption the speed problem is present.
With Radius authentication, the speed problem is also present.
Without Wlan encryption the speed problem is not present.
An open wlan is not a solution, here in Germany that is a problem.

On version 200.4xx or 200.5xx back is no solution for me.
I hope that problem is resolved quickly.

Greetings Mike
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 3105 Posts
  • 450 Reply Likes
Do you have other than Apple clients, and are you able to evaluate results at the same time?  Are they similar, or only Apple client slower?
Can you do same testing (two client types) on any other model of AP than R710?  It would be helpful to see both client results on two model APs, if possible, on WPA-PSK, AAA, and Open WLANs.
(Edited)
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 225 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Michael Brando,  could this bug be related ER-5956 bug from 2 years ago..which also deals with encryption.  It’s a 2 year discussion forum started out by Kari and you are the one who replied about the bug number.
Photo of Michael Brado

• 3105 Posts
  • 450 Reply Likes
Interesting possibility, ER-5956 was seen on R500 model AP, with AAA encryption slowing down traffic.

DE provided test code, and CU said it solved his problem.  This fix was incorporated in 200.5.10.0.291 (GA Refresh3) firmware:

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/1547-ruckus-unleashed-ap-200-5-10-0-291-ga-refresh3-soft...
Photo of Taylor Wall

Taylor Wall

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
With WPA2 encryption: 49/110, 45/105, 18/75
Without Wlan encryption: 264/514, 255/508

Tested on a OnePlus 3T.

One a 2012 ThinkPad W530 using Speedtest.net instead of Speedflex is about 50/50 with a password. 100/110 without a password.

Looks like it's an encryption issue. I wonder if removing special characters from the password would do anything?

Can't believe this hasn't been addressed, as few companies are going to want an open WiFi network.

(Edited)
Photo of JJ

JJ

• 14 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I wonder if the bug affects ZD or vSZ controllers in the same way as Unleashed or Standalone?

I guess it hasn't been reported since those enterprise customers care more about airtime fairness than raw single client throughput except maybe those guys running the LinkNYC kiosks since each one is fed by gigabit Internet and speed is sort of their claim to fame (I believe they run vSZ with R720 access points).
(Edited)
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 558 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Definitely affects VSZ too starting from 5 or 5.1. Doesn't seem to affect unencrypted networks so that's probably why public hotspots are okay.
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Michael Brando,

I mostly have Apple devices.
I did a test with Iphone SE.
Report 1 with WPA.
Report 2 Open.
Ruckus R710 200.7xx 5GHz

Test with Ipad and Lenovo Tablet follows.
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Again Iphone SE.
Report 2 with WPA.
Report 3 Open.
Ruckus R710 200.7xx 2.4GHz

I will also try version 200.4xx and announce here.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Again with Iphone SE.
Ruckus R710 200.5xxx 5GHz.
Report 1 with WPA.
Report 2 open.

The Lenovo tablet (Win 8.1) has no speed problems no matter what Ruckus firmware.

I can only determine the speed problem with Apple devices.

I stay first with version 200.5xxx
(Edited)
Photo of EightOhTwoEleven

EightOhTwoEleven

• 120 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
We have had a lot of reports coming out of our sites that WiFi has been crap. So we finally rolled back one of our problematic sites last night from vSZ 5.1.2 code to vSZ 5.1.0 ... no problems at all today. There seems to be a issue with recent firmware changes across all Ruckus platforms.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I still think it’s an issue related to encryption dating back two years ago which was perhaps semi-fixed....but somehow snowballed itself in more recent firmwares
Photo of EightOhTwoEleven

EightOhTwoEleven

• 120 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Very well could be. Hopefully this thread strikes a cord with development and they can fix it. We were using RADIUS for reference.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Yes again this bug went unnoticed by ruckus tech support a year ago....Stephen opened a ticket...

https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/r720-ios-performance-horrible-if-wpa2-encryption-enabled-on-fw-110
Photo of Taylor Wall

Taylor Wall

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
220/530 with the ZoneFlex 106 firmware on an r720. Taking off the password only makes it go to 260/540.

Still can't figure out why the download speed is half the upload speed.

Seriously considering moving to a "Consumer Crap" router, because I swear several of these can consistently do 500/500+ on my OnePlus 3T and don't have issues with iPhones.
Photo of Michael Brado

• 3106 Posts
  • 452 Reply Likes
Do you have any other than Apple clients Taylor? 

The issues may be iOS default setting specific, and we need to see OTA traces with fast and slow client.
Btw, others mentiond Solo 106 had best throughput too.  And we are preparing an all current AP 114.x Solo AP
firmware over Xmas if my teammate does it, or in early Jan when I can post this new Standalone firmware.
Thanks others who opened tickets, as we now have focus on Unleashed 200.6 and 200.7 throughput for iOS.
(Edited)
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 226 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Michael Brado,

Can you guys focus on getting the throughput that was on 200.4.x/200.3.x and now that was the best throughput I can get on a r710...... on 200.6.x my throughput is still worse that my Unifi AC LR, but not as bad as 200.7.x
Photo of Michael Brado

• 3106 Posts
  • 452 Reply Likes
Yes, that's exactly what we've told DE/QA - to test Open, WPA-PSK, and 802.1x/AAA WLANs on R710 and R720,
using iOS, Android, and Win clients with equivalent radios on 200.6, 200.7 and 200.8 Beta. 

I also expect results to improve future Solo AP images, based on their results/findings.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
It would be nice if the support would say something.

Photo of Sander Groen

Sander Groen

• 26 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi all, I'm using 3 x R710 with 2 x ZD1200 for high availability at home. The ZD runs firmware 10.3.1.0 build 21. I tested unencrypted, WPA2 and WPA2-enterprise and got similar results. In all 3 cases the upload speed is twice as fast as the download speed. Device used for testing was an iPhone 8. So download speed was pretty stable on 200+ mbps and upload 400+ mbps. 
Photo of Michael Brado

• 3115 Posts
  • 455 Reply Likes
I have asked for new DE/QA testing with R710, R720, R610 model APs on Unleashed 200.7 and 200.8 beta,
over WPA2-PSK and 802.1x/AAA WLANs, with Apple clients using iPerf utility.

They have provided previous test results from WPA2-PSK test bed with this topology (one Master AP, one switch, one LAN PC, one Wireless PC)

The devices under test:

AP model: R710
Unleashed AP Working Mode: Bridge
Precondition: 1 Unleashed Master AP, with one WPA2 WLAN
Client Device: MacBook Pro OS X version10.10.5
WAN PC: MacBook Pro MacOS version 10.14.5
Test tool: Iperf 2
Test commands:
server: iperf -s/iperf -s -u
client: iperf -c server's IP -t 60/iperf -c server's IP -u -l 1400 -t 60 -b800m

Measurements:

Version    Download (mbps)     Upload (mbps)

TCP           UDP         TCP      UDP

200.4       631             681          783       752

200.5       644             680          768       754

200.6       650             685          785       757

200.7       640             685          788       770

200.8       645             685          792       771
Photo of Vesalius

Vesalius

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Nothing prior with iOS Apple devices? iPad/iPhone . That seems to be a commonality among those of us with problems. Not as much with macOS based laptops.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 558 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
In addition I would suggest using a fast internet connection and trying to use something like the Speedtest app for iOS or fast.com. Perhaps iperf's packet sizes and number of streams hides the issue a bit. I definitely see it pretty badly with Speedtest on a gigabit connection. Speedtest uses a dozen or two HTTPS connections to measure speed.
Photo of Mike Clark

Mike Clark

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I think the issues are mainly with IOS not OSX.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 549 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
Yeah I agree, the problem seems worst with 2 stream 802.11ac Apple products running iOS, especially iPhone X and newer phones. Makes me wonder if something is going awry with MIMO powersave techniques.
Photo of Michael Brado

• 3115 Posts
  • 455 Reply Likes
Thanks all, info has been passed up (iOS, 2 stream 802.11ac clients) need focus.
We appreciate your feedback, and I'll let you know what I hear back.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 558 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Thanks Michael, we really appreciate Ruckus looking into this. It is fascinating how frequently this is being observed by others, hopefully your team doesn't have a lot of trouble reproducing this issue!
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 259 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Seems... the development team is not able to reproduce problem in a lab in any firmware version.  So I’ll be working with them on 30mins to an hour at most on Tuesday since I’ll have time that day so they can remote in and use iperf to test.. Yeah, I do believe that under certain RF conditions this bug comes out.
Photo of Sam Morduke

Sam Morduke

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Not clear how they can't reproduce. All it takes is an rX10 series AP and a newer iphone/ipad/mac. Download speeds are extremely limited compared to upload. Multiple sites now have issues like that for us. Surely someone in support has a newer iphone?
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 259 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Beats me. In a controlled environment, they can’t seems to reproduce it..... I guess I’ll have to be the one to help them.  Doing for myself and my clients. 
Photo of Sam Morduke

Sam Morduke

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm totally fine with doing the same. If any tech from Ruckus has interest, I have a test-bench I setup they can feel free to play with. Just contact me.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 259 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Sam, 

Sure I'll talk to the representative tech that is working with me on Tuesday and ask if he needs  another that has a test-bench setup. I'll let you know next week. Thanks.  What time zone are you in?
Photo of Stefan Mehre

Stefan Mehre

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do you really see this issue only with iOS devices?
For me it‘s the same with Samsung S10 on Android 10 and R710 Unleashed.

iPerf Test from Samsung to my Firewall:
down 80.9 / up 280                                                            
down 86   / up 287
down 99 /  up 326

This is my normal setup, no testsetup and I was 3m away from the R710 on 5GHz.
Firmware on my Unleashed setup is 200.7.10.202.94
(Edited)
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
As reported, it seems to affect mostly iOS devices and know some android devices are affected, but I can’t verify that since I have no android devices. However, as reported by another user earlier on this thread a Samsung S10 is impacted. I wonder if the s10 has a Broadcom WiFi chipset since Apple only  uses Broadcom on all their devices.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Unfortunately.  I wasn't able to connect with the Ruckus Tech support engineer today since I had to take care of a client ASAP.  However, tonight think I might have a break through in testing.  Even when I was using 200.6.x firmware it's not as fast I think it should be on iperf3 since on my iPad Pro 2018 I was getting 280mbps which just did not seem right.. so I came up with the idea of running more than 1 stream in parallel for iperf3 testing.  so I added -P2  etc... each time I increased the streams I was able to increase the over all sum of the streams ... so I was able to add P6 and was getting up the 530mbps to 580mbps when adding all the streams together. .

Stefan Mehre,   can you retest with your samsung but add -P6  ?
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 261 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I probably won't be able to work with Ruckus tech support til Next Tuesday......
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 558 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Hmm that might be why Ruckus can't reproduce it, if they're running iperf with a bunch of streams and somehow this is a QoS or queuing related bug where the AP is incorrectly throttling AP->client communications.

I would probably recommend trying the iOS speedtest app or fast.com, even if the WAN link isn't gigabit. Those simulate regular old HTTPS TCP connections, which is how most content is delivered these days (whether it's large mobile app downloads or movie rentals / streaming services). For sure that's the kind of traffic where I see the biggest manifestation of this issue.
Photo of Sam Morduke

Sam Morduke

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm hooked to a 1gbit spectrum line that pulls 980-1.1 consistently on hardwired connections. I keep testing with SpeedFlex and AP to AP on my R710's speeds out to 1.3gbps symmetrically. SpeedFlex to iPhone 11 Pro Max, is 300-400mbps down and about 600-800mbps up consistently within those ranges.
Photo of s s

s s

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have r510 and r710 both unleashed and i can also confirm the faster upload however the situation is also client specific. i.e. on intel ax200 (wifi6) client i get about 400mbps, on intel 9265 (wifi5) i get 550mbps, on pixel 3 i get 500mbps, this is using speedtest.net.   My connection maxes out at 580mbps consistently using ethernet.
(Edited)