Slow Download Speeds R710 Unleashed

• Question
  • Updated 17 hours ago
  • Acknowledged
Strange issue with R710 on latest unleashed firmware. Upload speeds consistently incredible on both laptop and phone but downloads even from 5 ft away never go over 200 but stay consistent through 3 thick walls. Speedflex on android shows 550 up 550 down to AP. Iperf reflects speedtest.net results. Cable shouldn't be the problem as I have plugged my laptop on it and gotten the gigabit fiber speeds I should be getting. I have factory reset it countless times set everything to auto and tried manually setting the bands and channel width, am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
Photo of Max P

Max P

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Mike Clark

Mike Clark

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am also seeing the same thing on an R610 running 200.7.10.102.64.

This is on IOS. Windows laptops average 500/500

(Edited)
Photo of Max P

Max P

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The strange thing for me is that on tcp mode(in Speedflex) , I get 100 ish down and 850 up, on an s10 with only 2x2 mimo which is what all other speedtests show udp and tcp, but in the same spot on udp mode I get 500 down and 500 up which never gets reflected in any other tests.
Photo of Marco

Marco

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've got the exact same thing here :-( I have with Controller and Unleased the Problem.

(Edited)
Photo of Chris1 Cook

Chris1 Cook

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Got the same issue. Testing on an iPhone XS, 5 feet from AP.
Photo of Andre Buto

Andre Buto

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had the same issue. I was running the latest firmware 200.7. I heard this firmware has some speed problems so i returned to 200.6.10 and it is now working at full speed. 
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 22 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I agree there's an issue with firmware 200.7 and iOS devices for both the R710, R610 an R510.. where the upload speed is a lot faster than the download speed.  At this point best to stick with 200.6.10.    I had issues with my clients so I kept them at 200.6.10.  Ruckus needs to fix this issue.
Photo of Ryan Hayes

Ryan Hayes

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same issue for me on R510. How do I go back to 200.6.10?
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 124 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Download the firmware 200.6.10.x to a desktop/laptop computer
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/so...

Log on to the master controller app via webbrowser and go to the admin section which I think ha s the firmware update section.

Note upload the firmware to the slave first and then to the master. Note, this will reset everything to factory settings..

Make sure you have the unleashed app installed on your iPhone or iOS device so you can configure it.

note: Saved Settings from 200.7.10 will not work for 200.6.10
Photo of Ryan Hayes

Ryan Hayes

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks! This is helpful. I wonder if it's worth it to roll it back. How quickly does Ruckus respond to things like this? My guess is it could be months or......never. 
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 124 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
yeah it's worth to roll back.. this is the first time I've seen ruckus release a really bad firmware that wasn't tested as well.. Normally it takes ruckus 6months to a year to release firmware.. Then again structure with the software teams might be different since Arris took over Ruckus the last few years.  I've deployed in the past Ruckus 7372 and R710, R610, 510 at schools , high end homes and small business.  At least ruckus is more consistent with stable firmware than say Unifi firmware and software which is more like beta testing.
Photo of Ryan Hayes

Ryan Hayes

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Also, what settings are you guys using to get speeds like this? I am seeing nothing close to even 400Mbps up or down. I have a Lennar home with 2 R510 AP's in the ceiling. 2 story home. One in the center of each floor. 2700 sq. feet. 
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 109 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
first roll back the firmware and get it reconfigured...

the largest house I've configured recently is 4200 sq feet with 3 Ruckus R610 on a older home that's be remodeled a few times. Using a Edgerouter 12, Edgeswitch 16 POE+  250W and other equipment for security cameras.
Photo of Cheryl Consiglio

Cheryl Consiglio

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I also have a lennar home and have speed issues?  Technical support has worked with me over 6 hours remotely logging into my ruckus and still have not figured out how to fix.  Has anyone had this issue resolved?
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 109 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
The solution for now is to drop back to firmware 200.6.10.x... 200.7.10.x seems to have drastic speed issues.... note when roll back all settings get erased and you can not restore settings from firmware 200.7.10.x on to 200.6.10.x
Photo of sergiosoto78

sergiosoto78

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Cheryl i down graded the AP firmware and it helped a bit, the Lennar rep that came to trouble shoot the network decided, after running various tests, to just switch out the Spectrum modem to an Arris sb6190 modem. Once he installed the new modem my speeds went from 80mbps consistent speeds to 380mbps consistent speeds. I was told that Spectrum either didn't configure their modems for higher speeds, but most likely they were throttling my speed through their modem. Lennar sent out a team of very helpful people to run tests on my network lines
(Edited)
Photo of sergiosoto78

sergiosoto78

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i down graded the AP firmware and it helped a bit, i just switched the Spectrum modem to an arris sb6190 modem and went from 80mbps consistent speeds to 380mbps consistent speeds.  I was told that Spectrum either didn't configure their modems for higher speeds, but most likely they were throttling my speed through their modem .
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 545 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
I’ve seen the same behavior, really prominent on R720 and other Wave 2 APs as well primarily with iOS clients. Starts with good throughput and less than a second later it will level off to around half.

Seemed to happen between Unleashed 200.6 and 200.7.
Photo of DST

DST

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just checking to see if there is anyone with Apple devices not affected by this? I just installed an H510 on 200.6 firmware and have two r710s arriving next week. I was going to upgrade them all to 200.7 before I found this post. I would be fine keeping them all on 200.6 except that I found you cannot assign vlans to the h510 ports without 200.7.
Photo of JJ

JJ

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Same issue here with a pair of R500s. Rolled back ages ago and been running 200.6 without problems since.
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 3066 Posts
  • 440 Reply Likes
I don't know of any test or bugs to explain decreased performance when nothing else changed...  But we do have an Unleashed 200.7 refresh build going thru final DE/QA now.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 545 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
Is there any chance that the SZ per packet adaptive Tx power is also enabled for Unleashed? On Wave2 APs I have previously seen this speed difference switching between SZ 3.6.2 and 5.1.1. A lot has changed between the two but seeing how Tx rates on affected builds start low, lock in high, then gradually decay again, it seems to me like that would be a suspect.

I didn't see any obvious switches for being able to turn that on or off. Since then I've migrated to an R730 based setup so I don't have any data points anymore.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 154 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Thanks Michael,

For letting us know that a newer firmware is coming out soon.  The thing is this problem is a reproducible problem. All my clients which use iOS devices were impacted with 200.7.10.X and I quickly reverted back to older firmware to resolve this issue.
Photo of Ventsislav Velkov

Ventsislav Velkov

• 17 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
when to expect 200.7.10.202.92 for R320 ? It is out since a week for most of the other APs, but not for R320... I have 1 x R320 as master and 2 x R310 in Unleashed network, and could not upgrade because of missing the new firmware for R320... I also observe slow download speeds on Android device Nokia 8 , Windows 10 is ok.
Photo of Michael Brado

• 3066 Posts
  • 440 Reply Likes
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/2255-ruckus-unleashed-ap-200-7-10-202-92-ga-refresh2-sof...
Sorry, on me... I just forgot to click the Publish button!

Please let us know about your Nokia 8 findings.
(Edited)

Ventsislav Velkov

• 17 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thanks Michael,

I upgraded last night, download speeds on Nokia 8 is better but Upload is still twice more, before I was getting like 90-100 mbits/s on download. Now is more like 250, but Upload is still like 450-500 mbits/s. This is TCP test with the AP directly to which I am attached, in my case R320. I am not sure if the Upload speed shown is correct... Could not test with Speedtest from Internet because my uplink is only 100 mbits/s.

(Edited)
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 154 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I tried firmware 200.7.10.202.92  on my two r710s and it doesn’t seem to help with my iPad Pro 2018.or other iOS devices.. so I went back to 200.6.10.x 
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 154 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Michael,  do you know what time frame we should expect 200.8.x firmware?
Photo of Hans Hummer

Hans Hummer

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
hi Guys

I have the same problem with firmware 200.7
Today I installed the firmware 200.8 on the R710.
Exactly the same problem as with version 200.7
I'm back to version 200.6

Greetings from Germany

Ventsislav Velkov

• 16 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Guys, why don't you report this to the support, they should resolve it?
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 154 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Problem is a lot of us are on unleashed for the reason of not wanting to pay for a support contract. Yet this is a easily reproducible problem and a wide spread one since this also impacts a lot of Lennar smart homes that use R510. And Lennar tech support I’m sure is aware of the issue since Lennar home builders partnered up with Ruckus. My clients are also impacted with this bug too so I kept them at 200.6.x
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 154 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
You need a support contract to open a ticket...
Photo of sergiosoto78

sergiosoto78

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I spent hours on the phone with support. The first tier had no idea what we were talking about when we told them all the network trouble shooting we had done prior to calling. The next tier up had me go out and buy a cable to connect to the switch and run commands to see if there were any errors or problems but we couldn’t get the switch to connect. I finally got it to connect after I was off the phone with them but by then they had sent another switch. I had Amazon send technicians and then my ISP and my builder Lennar. The only way I got my speeds up was to get rid of my ISP provided modem and add my own. Lennar techs installed the ARRIS Surfboard SB6190-RB DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and my speeds did go up to around 200mbps consistent from around 80mbps consistent. Keep in mind I’m paying for 400mbps. Spectrum was throttling my speeds down to about 25% of what I was paying for my R510 are still caping speeds at 200 but at least I’m at 200 not 80mbps. Let’s see if the next firmware update helps get the speeds up.

Ventsislav Velkov

• 16 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
@hayk you can not keep all your customers on 200.6 when you start selling them newer APs, for example R320 is not supported by 200.6 firmware...
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 154 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Yeah, I was hoping this would be solved by now..... 
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 154 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I might get a r750 to test out in a few months........ 

Ventsislav Velkov

• 16 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Michael Brado, with so many reports here in the forum about this issue, you say you don't have registered such bug? I doubt any customers paying for support didn't experience this and didn't report it...
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 154 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
@hans hummer,.   Where did you get the 200.8. Firmware ? Can’t find it on the site yet.
Photo of Michael Brado

• 3065 Posts
  • 440 Reply Likes
I'm the Support site admin, but not Tech Support, and I'm asking, who has opened a ticket for slow response on any model AP, and what is the bug ID? 

I would very much like to see what our Engineering team have found from any of your logs/traces/etc against what versions of Unleashed?
But I'm not aware of any known issues going around in our TSE or System Engineering circles...  thanks.

Ventsislav Velkov

• 16 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
@Michael Brado, couldn't you ask the tech support to search the database for such issue? I doubt nobody have reported this... I am sure most of the customers pay for the support and such issue should already be registered... even if you talk to the engineering/RnD and they tell you they don't know about such issue, this is really a problem!
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 156 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Ok, more troubleshooting..... I know that 200.6.x firmware isn’t great since max speed on my iPad Pro I can get is about 300mbps...      so I decided to flash one of my r710 to standalone firmware which is dated around the same time as 200.6.x...  while having everything set the same channels and 80hz ... I was getting pretty bad downloads..about 150mbps.....so I decided to downgrade to 104.x. Firmware.....and dam it’s night and day I can get 500mbps on downloads ..... so some driver changed from 104.x standard alone firmware to 110.x. Which I believe is the bug that is impacting unleashed..... something odd... I believe this issue has been around for while, but made worse at 200.7.x firmware.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 156 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I'm going to need figure out when the speed issues actually started... in which version of unleashed.......it might be between the years 2016-2018.... I don't think larger deployments will care if a single user can not get the max speed per access point so it hasn't been really reported. ... At least I nailed it between standalone firmware 104.x and 110.x firmware.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 156 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Also I believe it happens under certain RF conditions..

Ventsislav Velkov

• 17 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
200.8.10.3.129 is showing in the Upgrade tab of the Unleashed Dashboard. I will check later what will happen if I upgrade, probably only my R320 master and not the R310... but we will see
Photo of Michael Brado

• 3066 Posts
  • 440 Reply Likes
Hello All - Unleashed 200.8.10.3.129 is our Beta for 200.8 and the official GA is not until early January.
We have new IT folks, and needed to work out how to make the Online upgrade load the new GA image AT THAT TIME!
I understand our IT is trying to set things back to 200.7.10.202.92 (200.7 GA Refresh2).
We do not guarantee the Beta images, sorry.  As mentioned, there will be some AP models NOT SUPPORTED, so read
the new Release Notes, when they are posted please.  Thanks!
(Edited)