Should you upgrade?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: created update

We release new software pretty often - including maintenance releases, there could be a couple of dozen releases you _could_ upgrade to - every year.

I’m a strong proponent of “Don’t fix it ‘less it’s broke” – or in other words, upgrade as needed, not always. But here are some of the things to consider when making an upgrade decision:

1) Are you currently experiencing a problem that the upgrade is known to solve? Check with our support staff if you aren’t sure.
2) Are you buying new hardware that requires this release? For example, our new ZF7055 AP requires 9.6.
3) Are you so far behind that if you wait any longer you’ll be far outside our normal upgrade window? Like many vendors, there are a limited number of releases back that you can “jump” to the latest release. So wait too long and the upgrade process can turn into quite an adventure. (the release notes specify the valid upgrade paths, and we’ve also got several KB articles on this)
3) Is my equipment supported in the new release? For example 9.3 was our last release for the ZD1000 – it’s not capable of running more recent software.
3a) Do I need some client support in the new release (for example WIndows 8 phone)
4) Is this going into a lab or production network?
5) Are there new features that I need? But this question must be balanced with..
6) Can I afford to spend (down)time on new issues that might come up?*

9.6 is what we call a major or “GA” release (for General Availability). More formally, it’s 9.6.0 – the first version which includes the new features introduced. We also have MR (Maintenance Release) versions. For example, 9.5.1 is the 1st MR of 9.5. Maintenance releases are the preferred target for upgrades unless there is some strongly compelling reason to use the GA version in production.

MRs are specifically created to address issues that might — in spite of our best efforts — crop up in newly released features.

Hope this helps, and if you have your own suggestions for best practices around upgrades, please join the conversation with a reply.
Photo of Keith - Pack Leader

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of NorcalEDU

NorcalEDU

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Keith,

Appreciate the information and I do find it helpful. I think that understanding the thought process is what is needed. Also, a key as to what the numbers means might be even better.

From what I understand, this is how it works out.

A.B.C.D.build E

A+B = Version number
C= Maintenance release number
D= Interm number (never seen it used)
E= The build version of the previous 4 numbers

If this is correct, it means that:
C = 0 (cutting edge)
C = 1+ (Stable)
Photo of Keith - Pack Leader

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Thx, excellent summary! You've got the structure exactly right. Like all technology vendors we're working to make our "dot zero" release stable right out the gate. But recent experience shows we need to do a better job. And that's the whole point of this thread - making all this transparent so that customers and partners can make informed decisions taking into account risk factors, costs, benefits, etc.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.