sha256 encrypted username password

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • (Edited)
What is the username password encryption strength number to indicate encrypted password is sha256?  For example, md5 encryption strength number is 8 (username joe password 8 <encrypted string>).
Photo of Michael Payne

Michael Payne

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Official Rep

• 551 Posts
  • 175 Reply Likes
Hi MIchael,

This seems a query NOT related to Ruckus product but general protocol/technology related.

Here is a comparison sheet which will help you.

*Click on the image to see in original size.

Also confirm what issue you are facing so may be we can help in better way.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer
Photo of Michael Payne

Michael Payne

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Syamantak, does this forum answer questions related to Ruckus software (Fastiron OS ver 08.0.70dT203)?
Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Official Rep

• 536 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Hi Michael,

Yes, that is what we do here!

You will find answers for all Ruckus products and network technology related queries.

Since your query seems specific to ICX switch, one of our ICX team members should be able to help you. And we have our forum members as well to share their experience, to help each other.

May I know if there is anything related to Unleashed as well? I can see that you tagged Ruckus Unleashed in product section for this query, along with ICX.

Regards,
Syamantak
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Payne

Michael Payne

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
 First time posting.  I didn't realize selecting those options tagged specific groups.  Now I know.  ;)  I will wait for an ICX team member to respond.  Thanks Syamantak. 
Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 138 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Hello Michael,

On Fastiron software releases, the user account encrypted password uses MD5 encryption type.
You can also configure the password encryption service to encrypt the passwords with different types of encryption, such as SHA1 and SHA256, using the service password-encryption command.

ICX(config)#service password-encryption sha256
Warning: Moving to higher password-encryption type, Do you want to continue(y/n)? (enter 'y' or 'n'):y

If the password encryption service type is changed, only the users whose password encryption method matches the newly configured encryption method are allowed to log in. Apart from password encryption, all activities after creating the user account, such as logging in, modifying the local user account, and so on are bound by the configured password encryption service type.

The password encryption methods can be reverted to the default MD5 encryption type by using the no form of the service password-encryption { sha1 | sha256 } command.

Hope that helps

Thanks
Jijo 

Photo of Michael Payne

Michael Payne

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Jijo, thanks for the reply.  I am aware of the command to change the encryption strength.  What I need is the encryption strength number, which indicates the encrypted password is SHA256 vice MD5 in the username command.

MD5:
username <user> password 8 <MD5 encrypted password string>
(In the command above the 8 indicates to the software that the following encrypted string was created using MD5 encryption type.)

SHA256:
username <user> password <SHA256 #> <SHA256 encrypted password string>

Thanks,

Michael
Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 138 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Thanks Michael,

Currently, Cli doesn't offer an option of encryption strength number, it asks for clear text password and gets encrypted to MD5 by default once u configure it.

7450(config)#username ruckus password
  ASCII string   The UNENCRYPTED (cleartext) user password

7450(config)#username ruckus password ruckus123
7450(config)#show run | i user
username ruckus password .....

Hope that clarifies

Thanks
Jijo 
(Edited)