Settings to maximize performance 2 x R610 running unleashed

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Answered
I am running 2 R610 with the unleashed firmware.  I am looking for the best settings to get the greatest bandwidth through the devices.  A plain vanilla install gets about 50 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz and about 160 Mbps on 5 Ghz.  This is in a residential setting with little to know interference.  Does anyone have any tips on the best settings to get these WAPs humming?
  Thanks
Photo of MVDS

MVDS

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2570 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
What kind of client and what capability is it's radio (802.11n, 802.11ac, 802.11ax)?
Generally, distance from the AP is the biggest factor, and line of sight, or around how many/what kind of objects?
Avoid placing APs near any type of electrical equipment, or behind a stucco type wall that could contain chicken wire.
Photo of Jardel Almeida

Jardel Almeida

• 35 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hello,
You can set your aps to prioritize the frequency of 5GHZ.
You can also configure your pipeline to work with 80MHz (4 spatial streams), which would yield excellent throughput for devices compatible with 802.11ac / ax.
You can also enable OFDM, and bbsminrate 12.
Before modifying your network, I suggest that you do a speed test with wifi analizer, or xirrus, and share the before and after with the group.
OBS: The ideal would be to carry out the tests with 5GHz.
Photo of MVDS

MVDS

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

I found the answer.  When you setup unleashed it asks you about the region (i.e. US) and there is an option to set the WAPs for Compatibility or for Performance, I initially choose performance, believing that it would better perform.  I was mistaken.  When I switched to Compatibility the throughput increased to about 450 Mbps.  One thing I do want to add is that Ruckus support was terrible!  The tech made a few changes which got the throughput from 50 Mbps to 80 Mbps and was ready to call it solved saying that you will never reach the advertised speeds.  Fortunately I decided to end the call and fix it myself.  Problem solved.  Thanks guys for your feedback.
Photo of MVDS

MVDS

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Case id was: 00862976
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2558 Posts
  • 350 Reply Likes
KBA-8555: What are Unleashed settings for Maximum client thoughput...  Will be visible on the Support portal after the next 6hr update period.
Photo of MVDS

MVDS

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
can you send me a copy.  I don't have premium support
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2558 Posts
  • 350 Reply Likes
=:^)   Did they offer you support where you bought your two Unleashed APs?

But please look under your Master AP settings, I think you have this feature.
Toggle your settings from "Optimize for..." and try Compatibility or Performance,
seems to be the best way to find your client optimal throughput settings.

Under System -> Country Code -> Channel Optimization.

...and if you don't see this now, from System & Admin (Admin & Services in later releases) -> Administer -> Upgrade

you will see an upgrade method.  All but our first releases had Online Upgrade (Cloud) option, to latest release (no charge!).

We don't restrict our Unleashed knowledge base articles, nor firmware downloads:

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/1810-ruckus-unleashed-ap-200-6-10-1-312-ga-refresh2-soft...

but you need at least a "Guest" account on our Support portal,

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/registration 

...which I assume you must have to be participating in the Forums?

I'm our company NPI engineer for Unleashed too, and I think it's a great small business/home user product.

PS. I reset the KBA-8555 permissions, which should have been Public, not Premium. 

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000008555

You'll see this after the next 6hr Support site update period.
(Edited)
Photo of MVDS

MVDS

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This is great but you have it backwards.  The issue is that I had it set for performance initially, and it WASN'T performing.  When i switched to compatibility, that is when i got a huge boost in performance.  My message above is pretty clear, so not sure how that was missed.  But once again my experience with Ruckus tech support is pretty negative.