Setting up a internet only guest network on R610

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
We purchased an R610 Zoneflex indoor AP for a skating rink to provide both internet only access for our members and internet and office access for our staff.  I'm new to Ruckus devices, I like the performance so far, it seems great.  But what I need to do is add the isolated network for just the members.  Can I do that directly on the device?  Do we need something else, other software, vlans on a switch?  We are only using the FIOS gateway router as a firewall.  Can I use the "Local Subnets" on the 610 to do this?
Thanks.
Photo of Matt Cioffi

Matt Cioffi

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Andrew Giancola

Andrew Giancola

• 189 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Does your Fios Gateway support Vlans? if not buy a small Vlan Aware switch and possibly a router with multiple interfaces (not just a router with a multiport switch built in). Ising subnets would potentially allow for a client to "jump" subnets or snoop data via Wireshark.
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 3288 Posts
  • 520 Reply Likes
To separate the client traffic, you do need 2 separate VLANs on a switch (and a router as def-gw).
You can define two SSIDs on a Standalone model AP, and specify different VLANs.
The internal Local Subnet, allows your AP to provide part or all of a DHCP scope to your wireless users on that SSID.
Be sure you match the VLAN to the one you intend that SSID to use.
(Edited)
Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Official Rep

• 280 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
Or you can opt/Purchase Unleashed, which will solve your issues without having different VLANs.

Unleashed supports Guest WLAN, which by default isolate guest clients on the network, from rest of the network.
Unleashed in Gateway mode can also act as DHCP server so you do not need to worry about configuring DHCP on router/firewall.

To know more about Unleashed, please refer https://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/system-management-control/unleashed
Photo of Matt Cioffi

Matt Cioffi

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can I add the unleashed to an SP we have already purchased?  How would I go about doing that?

Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Matt,   So you just have a regular Zoneflex R610 right? I'm guessing you guys are using standalone firmware right?  If so you can convert that to an unleashed AP.  You can download the unleashed firmware here.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/products/103-ruckus-r610#firmwares

recommend that you downloaded the last version of firmware 200.6.x firmware since any firmware of 200.7.x version has issues with iOS devices where the downloads are slow. 

You flash the R610 in the firmware upgrade section in the standalone version. 
Photo of Syamantak Omer

• 280 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
Hi Matt,

Please contact your Ruckus re-seller and share your interest regarding Unleashed and they should be able to help you or contact Ruckus sales team.

https://www.ruckuswireless.com/contact

Photo of Matt Cioffi

Matt Cioffi

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If I flash it to unleashed do I need to purchase anything to set it up an manage it?  I'mnot quite clear on the unleashed versus cloud versus the management device.  I have been using Ubiquity devices a lot and that controller software is free.  In this case I wanted something different and the Ruckus features fit with the need the club has.  
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Yeah i’m familiar with ubiquity devices. Do you guys use Unifi APs? And if so what? Also what router do you currently have?
Photo of Matt Cioffi

Matt Cioffi

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We are using the Verizon fios quantum gateway. I have a router flashed with fresh tomato that I was using for wifi, but it was not up to the task.
Mostly I have been using the mesh UAP-AC-M devices.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
The unleashed firmware is free to use on supported APs. Only time you need to get a support contract on unleashed is if you need their tech support or if you like to report a firmware bug.
Photo of Matt Cioffi

Matt Cioffi

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The r610 is listed as supported by unleashed. So I can flash it to the unleashed firmware and manage it from the interface as I'm doing now? I do not need to buy anything or pay a subscription? Only, as you mentioned if I need to get support or report a bug? If I do that I do not need to mess with VLANS? My concern at this location is that while I do IT consulting professionally I'm a volunteer at the club. In a few years i won't be there as my child won't be skating there. I need something that I can turn over and not have to spend hours explaining. A gui that I can walk someone through is much more simple than setting up a VLAN.

Thanks.
Photo of Syamantak Omer

• 277 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
Hi Matt,

Yes you could flash your R610 with Unleashed firmware and by using guest WLAN you can avoid messing with VLANs on internal network. However, if you hit any issues or support required later, then Unleashed support purchase is must, so purchasing support is recommended.

Unleashed GUI is simple and provide way more features than regular Standalone software. You can also expand your network by adding more APs (Max 50 APs supported on 200.7 version) to same Unleashed network and can manage it from single Web GUI.

You can download the user/admin guide from support portal for configuration reference.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/2288-ruckus-unleashed-200-6-ga-refresh-user-guide/download

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/2598-ruckus-unleashed-200-7-ga-upgrade-guide/download
(Edited)
Photo of Matt Cioffi

Matt Cioffi

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Thank you everyone. I have flashed to 200.6 of the unleashed as recommended by hayk.  So far so good. 

I appreciate the help on this.