Separate 2.4 vs 5ghz SSID's

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
I'm replacing 3-4 Pakedge WX-1's in my home with Unleashed R710's.  I want to use the same SSID's so that I don't have to reconnect a gazillion devices.  I'm a step above novice when it comes to networking and typically know what I need to know to perform my job.  This one has me stumped.  How to I create separates, or can I just create 2 in the Ruckus setup that match the names and security of the two SSID's I'm running now?  Thanks in advance.
Photo of Rich428

Rich428

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Official Rep

• 357 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
Hi Rich,

Creating same SSID on Ruckus as your old setup may not help. Though new SSID name will be same but devices will not connect automatically and you have to connect them at least once, so that devices can remember the network settings for future connections.

Now come to the main query, creating 2.4 vs 5 G SSID. In Unleashed, when you create a new SSID, it gives you option whether you want to deploy on both bands (2.4 and 5 G) or just one them.

Configuration path: Unleashed GUI >> WLAN (Create new or edit existing WLAN settings) >> Advanced options >> Radio Control >> Enable WLAN on (Options are, All radios/2.4 G or 5 G).

If you choose All radios, then same SSID name will broadcast on 5 and 2.4 G radio.

For more configuration help, you may refer the user guide.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/2599-ruckus-unleashed-200-7-ga-user-guide/download

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/3123-ruckus-unleashed-200-8-ga-user-guide/download

Regards,
Syamantak Omer
(Edited)
Photo of Rich428

Rich428

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I did find the setting. A little poking around and I was able to find the setting. Thank you.

As for the SSID’s being cloned, everything seems to be okay without any further attention. How would I know? Just of a device seems to be acting up?
Photo of Syamantak Omer

• 351 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Hi Rich,

Good to know that you figured it out already.

Sorry I did not understand your query "How would I know? Just of a device seems to be acting up?".

Could you elaborate.
(Edited)
Photo of Rich428

Rich428

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
How would I know if cloning the SSID’s are presenting a problem. Everything seems fine.
Photo of Syamantak Omer

• 351 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
WX-1 APs are still on the network or you have removed them?

Easiest possible way is, disable/turn off WX APs and check if all the devices are connecting fine on Unleashed.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer
Photo of Rich428

Rich428

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes, the WX’s are no longer on the system. Everything seems more than fine. The Ruckus AP’s are blazing fast and saturate the space nicely. I cannot speak for handoffs yet. I haven’t tested that.
Photo of Syamantak Omer

• 351 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
R710 is a very powerful AP, so handoff depends upon deployment of the APs.

A RF site survey is the key to achieve good coverage, highest possible throughput and smooth roaming.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer
Photo of Darrel Rhodes

Darrel Rhodes, Employee

• 209 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Hi Rich, 

Just to elaborate on Syamantak's (excellent) comments; some client devices save the AP BSSID as part of its WLAN (SSID) profile.  A BSSID is generated from the AP's base MAC address, and changes for each SSID, including an identical SSID on 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

So, in the instance where you swap-out an AP (even a like-for-like model) with an identical configuration, some clients won't automatically reconnect because the BSSID will have changed.

In my experience, it tends to be low cost/low performance client devices that have this nasty habit and thankfully it looks like you've managed to avoid this issue.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Darrel.
Photo of Daniel M

Daniel M

• 57 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

I know this doesn’t answer your question, but why are you replacing your high-end Pakedge access points?
Photo of Rich428

Rich428

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Actually a very good question.  I refuse to denigrate the Pakedge WAPs.  I have experience with both WK and WX series and they are solid as a rock (as is every current Pakedge network device).  The issue is that Ruckus (I only have experience with the Unleashed platform) is wildly easy to setup and manage and it tends to have a richer faster WiFi signal all else equal.  Pakedge is a dealer centric brand, so it really takes dealer involvement to reap the total benefits.  On a sidenote, I have never had to reboot a Pakedge Network, they are very very stable.  In the case, I am now using a Mikrotik Router, a Ubiquity Edge Power switch and Ruckus AP's.  It's a networking guy's dream.