Ruckus Unleashed R510's constant heartbeat loss

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
I moved into a new construction home about 6 months ago (amazon smart home) that came with three Ruckus AP's. I am experiencing heartbeat loss about every hour. It becomes difficult to work. I have been on the phone with ruckus customer support for months trying to figure out the heartbeat loss issue and i have gotten no where. We replaced the switch and that has not helped. We have updated the firmware. We have ran tests for over 24 hours. Have gotten no where and I still have constant heartbeat loss issue.

Can anyone help how we can have a steady wireless connection without our wifi disconnecting every hour? This issue is driving me insane.
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of MLG

MLG

• 89 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Have you tried replacing the cable? If that’s not possible in its current position, try a new cable closer to the switch temporarily. Secondly, check your IP settings for the access point, is it set to DHCP or static? If it’s set to static IP, there could be an IP conflict, switch to DHCP and reboot AP. 
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for your response. Which cable? And what kind of cable should I replace it with?
Photo of MLG

MLG

• 89 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Try a new cat6 or cat5e cable. Is the AP powered by POE or AC power? Is the access point connected via wireless mesh?
(Edited)
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
sorry, I am not an advanced user but I have some knowledge. can you explain what you mean by the access points connected via wireless mesh? 
the access points are connected via ethernet cables wired on every floor of the home.
the AP's are not powered by AC power. I am not sure what POE is.
Where should i try a new cat6/cat5e cable? from where to where?
Photo of MLG

MLG

• 89 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
It sounds like your access point is connected via Ethernet cable back to the switch. POE is Powered Over Ethernet, where the access point’s power and data is received over the same single Ethernet cable. You can buy a new Ethernet cable from amazon, monoprice is a good brand. I would suggest this just to determine if the current Ethernet cable is “bad”. In the meantime, I would check your IP settings of the access points by logging into the Unleashed master AP. Do you know how to do that? 
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Here is the IP setting of my AP's
Photo of MLG

MLG

• 89 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
It looks like the issue is with the switch, not the access points, since it shows the switch as disconnected. What are the IP settings on the switch? 
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

This is what it says on the switch. Any advice?
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Also here is my set up. Which wires do I change out?
Thanks for your help. Its much appreciated.
Photo of MLG

MLG

• 89 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Your switch is not being assigned an IP address. Can you press continue? Also, make sure you have auto approve selected. 
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Here is what I get when I press continue:
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Also i do have that setting "checked" for switch approval.
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Here is the screenshot:
Photo of MLG

MLG

• 89 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Try assigning it an IP address. This needs to be a free IP address that is not already in use. Only you can know that, either by logging into your router or running a LAN scan such as Net Analyzer on an iPhone. Let’s try our luck and assign it the following IP address: 192.168.0.253
(Edited)
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

That didn't seem to work. i have android. can you guide me how to choose an ip address?
Photo of MLG

MLG

• 89 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I don’t know what DHCP range your router is giving out. I would guess not less than 100, can you try 192.168.0.99? It is difficult to troubleshoot further for me online, I would recommend doing a hard reset of your switch by pressing the reset button with a paper clip for 10 seconds and see if the Unleashed controller joins the switch. I will wait for anyone else on the ruckus forums to chime in 
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I see. I tried that. that did not work also. i will try a reset right now and get back to you.
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
How do i factory reset? just press the reset button once or do i hold and release it for a certain amount of time? appreciate the help
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi again. Can you give me some guidance on what wires to replace from this picture?
Thanks for your help.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 388 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Ok here's the thing.. have you tried going back to unleashed 200.6.10.1.312??? note doing this will reset all settings.. and you can not import later settings from newer firmware.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 388 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
how many times a day do you lose a heartbeat? I noticed I've been losing it twice a day.
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
MULTIPLE TIMES! its annoying and i am doing stuff for work and it disconnects. Probably once every hour. 
Photo of Pieter Schepens

Pieter Schepens

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Have you tried a factory reset of the AP's? I also experienced heartbeat loss, kernel panic, reboots, ... and tried upgrading, downgrading, ... Nothing helped, until I did a factory reset on an AP: problems gone. Worth trying on one AP and observing how that plays out.

Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes i did do a factory reset. Same problems.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 388 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
can you show us your logs how often this happens?
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 388 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
also what is your DHCP lease time from your DHCP server?
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
thanks for your help. do you want a screenshot of the logs or should i send you the log files?
how can i find the dhcp lease time? i am just a homeowner and dont have a lot of knowledge in networking.
Also, how can i fix the switch issue?
sorry if i am asking too much at once
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
here is a screenshot of the heatbeat losss. i loose connection through my devices as well.
Photo of Harrison Yee

Harrison Yee

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am also experiencing the exact issue in my smart home with 3 APs except I only lose connection every night at 10:46pm like clock work on all 3 APs. Has anything resolved this?
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have been in contact with ruckus support for months and have gotten nonwhere.
Photo of Andrew Giancola

Andrew Giancola

• 228 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Hi AmaF,
Some Questions (sorry if you've already commented on the below.)
  • In your screenshot, we see 1 APs losing heartbeat is it only BC:A0?
  • on your 12CP, have you reviewed it's logs to see if it's having problems with the port or cable BC:A0 is on?
  • Have you by chance turned off any "Background scanning" for 2.4 and 5ghz? or if you're unable to, have you set it for say 9000 seconds?
  • are you "load balancing" clients across adjacent APs?
I'm wondering if you're having any Mac flaps or mini loops that might be affecting network performance.

Best,
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
@Andrew Giancola
Answering your questions in the order you asked
-all 3 AP's are losing heartbeat, not just the one you mentioned. the screenshot of the logs reflects this
-I do not know how to review the logs on 12CP. but i believe ruckus support has reviewed them (we left my computer on for 24 hours and they collected data)
-Can you give me instructions on how to check for background scanning?
-Can you explain what you mean by load balancing?

Thanks for your questions and greatly appreciate the help.
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Also, ruckus sent me a replacement switch. have been using that and still have the same issues.
Photo of Andrew Giancola

Andrew Giancola

• 228 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Excellent Give me a few moments, probably background scanning isn't the issue, but it never hurts to turn this back a few minutes.
Photo of Andrew Giancola

Andrew Giancola

• 228 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
OK, log into your unleashed device, go to Services>Radio Control> Back Ground Scanning
Uncheck the options, or set them out further like 9000 seconds. That's where I like to keep them.
Continue from here to Services>Radio Control> Client Load Balancing, make sure those options are unchecked!
(Edited)
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you. i set it to 9000 seconds. And yes the options in Client Load Balancing are unchecked. 
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Lets see if it helps. Is it possible the issue could be my router?
Photo of Andrew Giancola

Andrew Giancola

• 228 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
 I am hoping the heartbeat and the WiFi performance bits are not related. If I were testing this, and attempting to get to the bottom of the issue, I would plug a device into the CP12, and likely use PingPlotter and try to monitor three distinct points in the network.
  1. ping from the device to the CP12's IP address
  2. ping from the device to a non-sleeping client on the wifi (this can be tricky)
  3. ping from the device to each of the APs
  4. ping the "gateway"
  5. ping the wan Gateway
With Ping Plotter, you'll soon get graphs relating to the interrupts. With this data, you should be able to cross-reference missed ping events against the "heart Beat Lost" messages, and the graphs will give you a visual way to see which devices are affected.

Also, has your Wi-Fi dropped since you made the settings change? 
Photo of AmaF

AmaF

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
@Andrew Giancola
So I took your advice to change the following settings:
Services>Radio Control> Back Ground Scanning
Uncheck the options, or set them out further like 9000 seconds.

I can say I have not got any heartbeat loss for a couple of days! So it seems to change the background scanning to 9000 has been successful so far. I will keep monitoring it but before I was getting heartbeat loss every hours/2 hours but I have not experienced it for a couple of days as of yet. 

Do you still suggest I do the ping tests you referenced in your last post?
I really appreciate your help.
Photo of Andrew Giancola

Andrew Giancola

• 228 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
@AmaF, So Changing Background Scanning did the trick? How are things today? Excited for you!
Photo of Chris Apostolof

Chris Apostolof

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
So so so glad I found this thread. I’ve been rebooting 3-4 times a day on r710’s. Let’s see how we do tomorrow!
Photo of Chris Nicholson

Chris Nicholson

• 25 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I down graded my home AP to standalone firmware. Works like it should... nothing disconnects. I have all sorts of devices across 2.4 and 5. Guess I am back to "ZD or Standalone."