Ruckus R610 roaming scenario: No M1 frames after re association, straight data no EAPOL

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
Does anybody see roaming issues with R610? We see many hard roaming failures with this device.
Photo of Dmitry Ornatsky

Dmitry Ornatsky

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Official Rep

• 283 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Hi Dmitry,

Could you provide more details.

What is the firmware version running on AP?
What are the WLAN settings (WLAN type, encryption, authentication, FT roaming is enabled or not, etc).

Please note that if 802.11r (FT roaming) is enabled then you will not see M1-M2-M3 and M4.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Photo of Dmitry Ornatsky

Dmitry Ornatsky

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Our device supports fast roaming but R610 does not seem to. At least there is not a single Tag 55 there in the exchanges with it. Yea, it seems to us as if R610 assumes there is FR going on but re-asosication frames clearly do not have anything about it. If this type of disconnect happens then this is probably what we would see.

Also, it is not happening all the time. There are several R610 overlapping in the same apartment so that our user roams between bands as well as between channels within the same band. Sometimes there are EAPOL packets, sometimes there are none. It is all happening for the same mobile user as it is moved around the coverage area.

Does R610 support 802.11r? Does it have any management plane SW that may decide that we should have fast roaming for the AP?
(Edited)
Photo of Dmitry Ornatsky

Dmitry Ornatsky

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I could not agree more. The thing is that we sometimes see them and sometimes we do not from the same Ruckus AP MAC. Because of that roaming is hard - with a disconnect. Can this be done by a management SW on purpose - to balance load or something like that?
(Edited)
Photo of Dmitry Ornatsky

Dmitry Ornatsky

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Roaming is for sure not FT because tag 55 is not there and this is the snapshot of the RSN tag from the beacon:
Photo of Dmitry Ornatsky

Dmitry Ornatsky

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any known issues like that at all?
Photo of Syamantak Omer

• 262 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Hi Dmitry,

I think we should remove FT from this issue as FT is not enabled it seems.

I will suggest taking fresh captures in non-working scenario from two APs and open a case with support for further troubleshooting.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer
Photo of Dmitry Ornatsky

Dmitry Ornatsky

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok, sure. I think I opened support case but forum question got much faster attention.
Photo of Dmitry Ornatsky

Dmitry Ornatsky

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I can not open support case because I need a  valid R610 serial number for that. I have plenty of Ruckus 610 MACs but they do not work.
Photo of Syamantak Omer

• 255 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Hi Dmitry,

Troubleshooting this issue any further on forum is bit difficult, you have to open a case with proper information for further troubleshooting.

You can find the AP serial number from the controller, which is managing these APs or you can find it on AP's physical label (on AP's back side).

Regards,
Syamantak Omer