Ruckus r510 range improvement for dummies?

• Question
  • Updated 3 days ago
We recently purchased a smart home that has a Ruckus r510 AP installed in the ceiling of the front entryway, which is connected to a Ruckus ICX-7150 switch in a media cabinet in the laundry room.  All the smart home features seem to be working pretty well --- the only complaint I have is that there are a few "dead spots", locations in the house  where it seems to take forever to get my smartphone to communicate to the smart home devices through the supporting apps.  I was wondering what options I might have to improve reception/range to try to eliminate these dead spots. I would not consider myself an expert on home Wi-Fi & networking, but I'm a quick study --- I'm hoping for a fairly economical solution that would also minimizes the chances of me unintentionally crashing my smart home to a point where I can't recover with my limited knowledge!
Photo of EJH7

EJH7

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of hayk

hayk

• 196 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Please check out this video .
https://youtu.be/vvUXot7Ysf0

Through out most of the video he is holding the r510. The rear is facing down and front facing up. You should see the cutout at the rear in the video. So i’m asking you to look through the cut out if possible.
Photo of EJH7

EJH7

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It's tough to get a good look at the back of the AP --- they mounted the back up close to a beam that sticks down out of the ceiling. Let me take a closer look & see what I can see.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 176 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
The reason why I’m asking since the original installers ...suggested to put into bridge mode... if you have two cables running into it .. it can switch it to gateway mode. Then it would route everything and plug it to a plain modem. You said that they set you up with 3 ethernet jacks right? And plus the line going to the r510. In the box in the laundry room, there should be 4 active ports plus then 5th active port to the technicolor router and a 6th port to the device that you moved from the technicolor router to the ruckus switch.. are there any more cables plugged in to the switch that is more than 6? Or are there any unplugged cables floating around there or cables that have no end.
Photo of EJH7

EJH7

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I've had a few distractions in getting back to this, hope to be able to continue with fewer interruptions today! Here's what I've got so far:

The ICX-7150 switch is mounted in the structured media enclosure (SME) located in the wall of the laundry room. There are 8 device cables currently plugged into the switch ports:

1. Ethernet port in Living Room
 2. Ethernet Port in Family Room
 3. Ethernet port in Master Bedroom
 4. Lutron home lighting interface device 
 5. Samsung Smart Things home interface device
 6. Kevo home interface device
 7. Ring doorbell
 8. Ruckus r510 AP

The device currently plugged into the modem (which I will be shortly be moving to the switch) is a Pentair equipment panel. This will become the 9th device cable into the switch, leaving 3 empty ports on this 12-port switch.

There is also a short internet communications cable running between the switch and the cable modem.

There is a coaxial cable plugged into the modem labeled "NID" (Network Interface Device?), that I believe runs out to the cable TV interface box mounted on the exterior of the house. There is another blue ethernet, cable also labeled "NID", dangling into the SME --- probably just supplied to give the cable company some flexibility (coax or ethernet) in the connection type between the SME and the cable TV interface box on the exterior of the house.

Other than a bundle of dangling coax cables for unused cable TV ports in various rooms in the house, I don't see any other cables coming into the SME that are unaccounted for.

< continued in next post...> 
Photo of EJH7

EJH7

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm going to try to attach a couple of pix of my ceiling-mounted AP here. If this works...

In the first photo (which looks like it came out upside-down, sorry about that!), notice my issue with seeing the backside of the AP --- it's mounted too close to the ceiling beam behind it, so I can't get my head/eyes up there to see much. So I got more creative & I stuck my smartphone camera up in there to get the second photo. It's a bit blurry, but you can see the blue ethernet cable plugged into the back. Given the super-limited field-of-view I have through the cutout on the back of the AP cover, maybe you can image why I was attempting to remove the cover. I still don't see any way to release anything --- the smaller slot next to the larger cutout on the back of the cover is directly in front of a power port on the AP.  If this AP ever dies, I have no idea how to get it off the ceiling to replace it....

< continued in next post... > 

Photo of James Anderson

James Anderson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
To remove the access point from the mounting posts, look for a small hole in the side of the access point to insert a paperclip.  The paperclip will release a spring loaded catch mechanism.  While pressing the paperclip into the hole to release the cach, slide the access point along the mounted surface.  This will slide the mounting posts into the release position of the groves and the access point will disengage from the mounting posts, allowing the access point to drop from your ceiling.  The mounting posts for ceiling mount are typically small screws with the heads engaging a grove in the access point.  When replacing the access point, also use the paperclip to release the spring loaded cache mechanism to allow the heads of the mounting posts to slide past them in the far end of the grove.
Photo of EJH7

EJH7

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
So, long story short, I don't see any sign of an additional ethernet cable pulled to the AP. If there was a big enough advantage, I might consider going up in the attic crawlspace and trying to drop-in another cable.

A follow-up on the question about "cryptic" client device names shown on the AP. I suspect that some of these unknown clients on the AP are going to be little gizmos that don't provide any way to log-in.  I was hoping that there was some way, other than maybe unplugging a device and watching for something to disappear from the AP client list, that I could associate one of the these mystery clients with a physical device. For example, I think the AP will show me a MAC address for every client, but then I am unable to find any MAC info indicated on the individual devices.... 
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 176 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
From the photos it seems to be one cable only. Yeah if you want the ruckus to act as a gateway router you should have two cables running into it which would simplify things for you. Note when running in gateway mode your max WiFi devices that it can handle is 100. If running in standard AP mode it can handle up to 500 WiFi devices . If you don’t want to run a 2nd cable you can do something similar as now. However you would get a separate modem and separate router such as edgerouter x.

As for devices names start keeping a list of what it is associated with.
Photo of EJH7

EJH7

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm still trying to make progress on this, but it has been a challenge for the last few days....

I want to be sure I'm following what you're suggesting, and better understand how this improves my home network configuration & wi-fi range --- as I mentioned at the outset, my knowledge of this stuff is limited. 

So right now, my home network configuration is:

1. Technicolor CGM-4140 Gateway Modem  (rented from Cox Communications)
     (handles internet communications, has 2.4 & 5 GHZ wi-fi capabilities, functions as
       the network router?, handles DHCP & NAT?)

2. Ruckus ICX-7150 Network Switch
     (Does the switch just provide the ability to connect more wired devices to the home network
     via Ethernet connections?
      Does this existing switch provide PoE as-is? ) 

3. Ruckus r510 Network Access Point
     (handles all wi-fi the connections/communications with the home network?)

I read back through what we had discussed in this thread so far, and I think your original suggestion for an alternate home network configuration was:

1. Arris SB6183 Modem (new, purchased)
     (standalone modem, would handle internet communications only)

2. Edgerouter X Network Router (new)
      (standalone wired network router; would handle network DHCP & NAT functions?)

3. Ruckus ICX-7150 Network Switch (existing)
     (this provides the ability to connect more wired devices to the home network via
      Ethernet connections) 

4. Ruckus r510 Network Access Point (existing)
     (handles all the wi-fi connections/communications with the home network?)

Purchasing the Arris modem & Edgerouter would allow me to stop renting the Technicolor gateway modem from Cox.

< continued in next post.... >
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 176 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
" 1. Technicolor CGM-4140 Gateway Modem  (rented from Cox Communications)
     (handles internet communications, has 2.4 & 5 GHZ wi-fi capabilities, functions as
       the network router?, handles DHCP & NAT?) "

Correct

--------

" 2. Ruckus ICX-7150 Network Switch
     (Does the switch just provide the ability to connect more wired devices to the home network
     via Ethernet connections?
      Does this existing switch provide PoE as-is? ) "

Yes and Yes. Just note it provides 124 watts of POE power to other POE devices. So your max budget that adds up should be below 124 watts.

----------

" 3. Ruckus r510 Network Access Point
     (handles all wi-fi the connections/communications with the home network?)"

All 2.4ghz and 5ghz Wifi Communicates.

------------

"I read back through what we had discussed in this thread so far, and I think your original suggestion for an alternate home network configuration was:

(standalone modem, would handle internet communications only)"

Correct. However, it does not do any routing at all.

---------

"2. Edgerouter X Network Router (new)
      (standalone wired network router; would handle network DHCP & NAT functions?)"

Yes

------

"3. Ruckus ICX-7150 Network Switch (existing)
     (this provides the ability to connect more wired devices to the home network via
      Ethernet connections) "

Yes

------

"4. Ruckus r510 Network Access Point (existing)
     (handles all the wi-fi connections/communications with the home network?)"

Yes

-------

"Purchasing the Arris modem & Edgerouter would allow me to stop renting the Technicolor gateway modem from Cox."

Yes

-------
(Note I'll anwer the 2nd post later today when I have time)

Photo of EJH7

EJH7

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The latest twist on your suggested network configuration was that, if I could get a second ethernet cable run between the r510 AP and the SME (structured media enclosure), I could turn the r510 AP into a gateway/router/AP combo. The network configuration would then be:

(standalone modem, would handle internet communications only)

2. Ruckus r510 Network Gateway Access Point (existing, but modified)
     (handles all the wi-fi connections/communications, routing / DHCP & NAT functions
      with the home network?)
     (Are there other configuration changes that will be required with the AP in addition to
       plugging in the second Ethernet cable to the modem?)

3. Ruckus ICX-7150 Network Switch (existing)
     (provides the ability to connect more wired devices to the home network via Ethernet connections)

I can see how your suggested configuration could save me some money in the long-term --- the purchased modem & network reconfiguration allow me to stop paying the monthly modem rental fee to Cox. I'm having more difficulty understanding if these changes do anything to improve the internal speed and/or performance of my home network, or would improve the wi-fi communications range of the network. I don't know that you discussed any advantages or disadvantages of having the r510 take over the gateway functions. You did indicate that the purchase and installation of additional r510 APs in closer proximity to my problem communication areas might help with the wi-fi range, and that rolling back to the 200.6.x firmware for the r510 might also improve the wi-fi speed/quality?

Please let me know if I've generally summed things up correctly, and I'd appreciate it if you could correct any of the gaps in my understanding of how all there various pieces of home network equipment work together. Then I need to figure out how to proceeed....

Photo of hayk

hayk

• 176 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
As for the 2nd configuration about using the R510 as gateway/router. Forget it. I recently, read that using the R510 or any other Ruckus Access point that there are used as a gateway has some performance issues in routing when doing that. It works up to 150mbps , but I rather you not go that route now that I know. Most people don't use it as a gateway, but I knew that feature always existed but never bother with it since I prefer more advanced routing functions.

Anyway, you summed it pretty well.

Recently, the last few day, I read that unleashed firmware 200.8.x will be released soon.. I'm hoping it'll have a different wifi driver.. hopefully it will fix things.

Regardless of the firmware, I think you still think you need 2nd R510 since the area of coverage is still too far in my opinion.  I suggest waiting at this point for the new firmware since it will be released soon  then upgrade.. then after that see how the range is.. if it's still not good then get a 2nd R510.

Oh BTW, the ones I got on ebay seem in very good condition physically and will have to test them over the weekend.
Photo of sergiosoto78

sergiosoto78

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have the same speed issue with my smart home 2700sqft with two ruckus 510s in the middle of each floor. Speeds are limited to 200mbps in the setting with firm ware 200.7.10 which says it’s up to date. Connected to the same switch as users above. My ISP is Spectrum with the 400mbps service
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 175 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Yeah.. I would downgrade the firmware back to 200.6.10.x  . I'm hoping they would address the issue but NONE of the current ruckus support on this forum seems to know about this issue... I'm hoping 200.8.x would fix it..  This is the first time ruckus let me down with not so good firmware.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 175 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
just note it will reset al your setting to default.. and you can't restore the settings from a newer firmware.
Photo of sergiosoto78

sergiosoto78

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
ok thank you ill do that right now
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 175 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
let me know if that works for you.
Photo of sergiosoto78

sergiosoto78

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It was not working. I selected option to load from computer then selected the older firmware but then nothing. I tried a few times and would not let me update. I’ll try a different browser after work
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 175 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
it worked for me on the mac using the current version of firefox.
Photo of sergiosoto78

sergiosoto78

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ok I’ll try Firefox I was using chrome on windows environment
(Edited)
Photo of sergiosoto78

sergiosoto78

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
i down graded and it helped a bit, i just switched the Spectrum modem to an arris sb6190 modem and went from 80mbps consistent speeds to 380mbps consistent speeds.  I was told that Spectrum either didn't configure their modems for higher speeds, but most likely they were throttling my speed through their modem .
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 196 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
EJH7,

I’m guessing you are still on 200.7.x firmware.... can you contact Lennar ruckus team and open a ticket number since your home should come with some kind of support contract with ruckus since we know your speed issues will limit your connection. We have another lennar smart home owner that opened a ticket. 
Photo of EJH7

EJH7

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes, my R510 AP is still on the 200.7.10.2.339 firmware version. I can try opening a ticket on the myLennar website, and see what type of response I get from them. In the ticket wording, should I be pushing them to contact Ruckus about resolving this firmware-related speed/connection issue? I assume Ruckus would consider Lennar as a large, important customer, and wouldn't want Lennar to turn to one of their competitors for their smart home APs if Ruckus appears to be unable/unwilling to solve a self-inflicted firmware issue with the APs they have been selling to Lennar. While Lennar has been fairly responsive to customer feedback/complaints, I'm sure they'd rather not have ANY complaints --- and would likely have limited patience on a resolution. 

One other question -- I noticed the recent release of 200.7.10.202.92 firmware for the R510 AP --- does this newer firmware release still have the same speed/connectivity issue as the earlier 200.7.10.2.339 firmware release that my AP is using?  In other words --- do I gain anything by upgrading now, or should I just wait indefinitely for a some future 200.8.x firmware release before I upgrade?
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 196 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
At this point I would just keep it as is... but open a ticket through Lennar with Ruckus so at least let them know you do have a speed issue with your iOS devices.   Also let them know it's the same issue as ticket #00993855. At least this way, let Ruckus know there are more people with this issue.  I don't think Ruckus is unwilling to fix it. It's more like Ruckus wasn't really aware of the issue since most of their clients are large deployment where the individual device bandwidth for high speed wasn't as important when say over 100+ devices are in use.  Trying to Figure out a way to explain this. Anyway it's easier for you to open a ticket since you are a Lennar Smart Home owner  which I'm sure Ruckus has a responsibility since they are a partner. For us end users that did not get a ruckus through Lennar. We would have to buy a support contract in order to report a bug.  However, since you a Lennar Smart home buyer at least you have some say and be able to report this bug. 

Anyway, if you want to follow this discussion.. please check out,

https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/slow-download-speeds-r710-unleashed
(Edited)