R720 upload slow compared to R710 (Controlled by ZoneDirector 1200 10.1.1.0 build 55)

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Hi

Situation (in basic/short - maybe little too basic):

4 WLAN's deployed. About 20AP's (different models).

R710 controlled by ZD 1200 - everything related UL/DL speed seems to be fine from client perspective (different laptops). Did some basic test using "speedtest.net" DL/UL is about around 140Mbit which is expected since our ISP gives us 150Mbps uplink.

Then I replaced R710 -> R720 and some weirdness begins - DL is ~140Mbps which is okay but UL is about 1....6Mbps!!!
Checked cabling, tried different PoE adapters, tried different switch ports, tried another R720, tried some other various possibilities - nothing.
Only thing that I'v noticed that makes some kind of difference is when I strart playing with "SSID Rate Limiting".
When the problem starts, there were no rate limiting on this particular WLAN, but when I set rate limiting to 200Mbps UL/DL, then testing against "speedtest.net" gives us about 80Mbps UL/DL (varies per test).
Also, there were some changes in UL/DL speed on this particular WLAN when I played with rate limiting on another WLAN - I don't understand how this is possible,but it was.
Since I had limited time to test further, I'v sent this R720 back to our reseller and continued with R710.
But I know that I should extend our WIFI infrastructure in near future, so I'm looking for recommendations what else should I do to find out what might be wrong?

BTW: On the time of problem, ZD FW update from 10.1.1.0.35 to 10.1.1.0.55 did not help.
Photo of janx

janx

• 32 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Darrel Rhodes

Darrel Rhodes, Employee

• 37 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Hi Janx,

I believe this is a known issue and specifically affects R720 APs in only versy specific, certain circumstances. 

I understand a bypass of the problem can be achieved by connecting the AP to a 2.5Gbps Ethernet connection.

I've been advised by a colleague that a fix has been committed for SmartZone firmware 3.6.2. However I don't have any information regarding a fix for the ZoneDirector software train.

I will see what additional information I can find for you and keep you posted.

Best regards,
Darrel.
Photo of janx

janx

• 32 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I see... If You have anything to share regarding this, I would be very grateful.
BTW - I'v played around with AMPDU settings on this particular AP as suggested by our local representative, but no go..
Photo of Darrel Rhodes

Darrel Rhodes, Employee

• 37 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Hi Janx, thanks for the response.  I can say it's not a settings issue, it requires a fix in firmware.
Thanks,
Darrel.
Photo of janx

janx

• 32 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank You. Then I will wait.
Photo of Alexey

Alexey

• 39 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I hаve ZD1200 too but not R700. I Do not seen this difference divergent UL/DL during use my RUCKUS WiFi. And do not seen this in RUCKUS docs.
If I were U I could look at:
- Ethernet interfaces (utilisation, speed/duplex) 
- load & band balancing in ZD GUI(try to off them);
- 802.11_b clients PDA. If there is no this PDAs in the air, still the problem happening? 
- Is it possible to switch off 802.11 b/g/n for check the problem in 802.11 a/n/c only?
Photo of janx

janx

• 32 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
As stated by Darrel Rhodes it is a bug related to somehow with this new 2.5G ports.
But I'v already digged around switches regarding Eth interfaces (we do not have any device supporting 2.5G).
Utilization speed/duplex is fine.
No loadbalancing.
No PDA's
Tried both bands.
Nothing.
Photo of Alexey

Alexey

• 39 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
So if U forcibly (not auto) tune the ports  (2,5G & plugged into it) in 1000BASE TX there is no problem repeats again?
Photo of janx

janx

• 32 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
There were no difference auto vs. manually fixed 1Gbps.
Photo of Darrel Rhodes

Darrel Rhodes, Employee

• 37 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
To be clear, the AP needs to be connected to a 2.5Gbps port for the issue to be bypassed.  As I stated previously: the issue cannot be resolved by changing the configuration of the AP and needs new firwmare code.
Photo of Darrel Rhodes

Darrel Rhodes, Employee

• 37 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Hi Janx,
Many thanks for your patience.  I've just had confirmation from our Engineering this morning that a fix for this issue will be in in the next ZoneDirector code release.  ETA for this release is late December/early January. 
Check the release notes and the fix should be noted there.
Best regards,
Darrel.