R510 Hostname

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
So a couple of things:

1. I set up a reserved IP for my printer (Epson).  Reason being I am getting occasional power glitches so the Ruckus assigns a different IP to the printer.  I have configured the printer TCP/IP Port to the Ruckus supplied IP.   Unless there is a way in the printer config to fix this...not sure?

2. When I run an IP scan (I use the Angry IP Scanner) on my local network, the Ruckus result is not showing a hostname. I can SSH into the 510,  but can't find the command to show or change the hostname?
Photo of Raymond Jender

Raymond Jender

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of James M

James M, Employee

• 9 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hello Raymond,

1) I'm not entirely sure what you're asking in question 1. How to configure an IP reservation in the AP DHCP, for a client, in Unleashed?

2) Please see below:

a) To set a device name from SSH use the following commands, written in bold:

set device-name LIVING-ROOM-R700

b) To see the device-name of an AP in SSH:

get device-name

Example output:

rkscli: get device-name
     device name : 'LIVING-ROOM-R700'

Regards

James

Photo of Raymond Jender

Raymond Jender

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So this is on my ceiling:  

And this is in the network cabinet.  What is the Ruckus device?  
The above is after I had wall RJ45's connected.
Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Employee

• 63 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
So the ceiling one is Ruckus R510 AP and other white box which has Ruckus writen on it, is Ruckus ICX switch.

Other two devices should be the internet gateway/router and optical fiber termination device or MUX.

I am not 100% sure about the configuration but these kind of installation usually runs DHCP server on router/modem/gateway and switch just provides multiple ethernet out ports and POE power for end devices.

Our Ruckus AP must be connected to Ruckus ICX switch for power and data connection.

So if you are facing issue with DHCP, I will suggest you to check below things.

1- Figureout where is the DHCP server.
2- If DHCP server on ISP router/gateway then engage them for help.
3- If it is configured on Ruckus Unleashed AP then reboot AP will delete the lease, it is intended behaviour.
4- If DHCP server is running on Ruckus ICX switch, you may have to check
the DHCP configuration and lease status before and after rebooting AP.

By the way, you have mentioned that "I set up a reserved IP for my printer (Epson)" so where did you reserved the IP? On which device you did it?
Photo of Raymond Jender

Raymond Jender

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I reserved the IP on the Ruckus AP, so thats where the DHCP is.  So if I have a whole house power glitch, I will loose that IP reservation, right?
Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Employee

• 63 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi Raymond,

Could you also share the screenshots of the other 3 tabs.

I will try to test in my lab setup for this feature and will get back to you.

Also confirm the Unleashed firmware version.
Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Employee

• 63 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi Raymond,

I have tested in my lab setup with Unleashed R510 running on 200.7.10.202.94 version, in gateway mode.

I created a DHCP pool 10.106.0.1/16 and reserved IP address 10.106.0.3 for my Android phone in DHCP. When I connected my phone to WLAN, I got the same IP (IP which is reserved).

Post this I rebooted the AP and my DHCP reservation was still there and upon connecting to WLAN, my phone again got the same IP address.

So I have concluded, rebooting the current master AP will not impact DHCP IP reservation because it is not a temporary entry but a permanent configuration, which will not get removed automatically upon AP reboot.

If you are still facing issue with your printer IP address being changed upon AP reboot, then I will advise you to open a support case and report the issue for further troubleshooting.

Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Employee

• 83 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Hi Raymond,

Hostname for Unleashed master will show as whatever name you have given to your controller when you setup Unleashed first time. For rest of the APs (member APs) it will be name of the AP, you have configured for each AP.

You can configure member AP names by editing the APs from GUI or you can use the CLI commands as explained by James.

Also, some times you may not see the full information on scan results, if there is a firewall in-between the source device (your PC where IP scanner is running) to destination devices/IP pool (in this case, IP pool of Unleashed IP address).

Also try using Advance IP scanner, as some times I find different results, when I use Angry IP scanner vs. Advance IP scanner.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer
(Edited)
Photo of Raymond Jender

Raymond Jender

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks.  But is seems to show manufacturer versus host name? For my Ruckus, I see the IP under the Name column and Ruckus Wireless under Manufacturer.
Is the "Name"  column the hostname?

Thanks again.
Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Employee

• 83 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Scan result from IP scanner looks like below for a laptop in the network.

Here, F01NX52 is the hostname of test laptop.

(Edited)