R500 not compatible with ac-7260

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Just installed zd1100 and r500s, worked ok when eventually got hold of relevant firmware. (new customer) Having problems connecting tosh with intel ac7260. Seems problem is to do with channelfly and .h messages. Works if select one channel as this disable channelfly. (tried on standalone unit). Been asked to manually set channel in ZD as test but need to check interference. Other option to set run stop time. Running build 101 and have downloaded build 108 but not sure if it includes any fix. First ruckus install so not overly happy.
Trevor
Photo of Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Victor Tort

Victor Tort

• 20 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Trevor,

Which version are you talking about?

Could you please elaborate a little bit more your tests and your results?
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2106 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Initial 9.8.0 GA release for R500/R700 had issue ZF-7357: Not using 2-stream rate with Intel 7260 2x2 11ac NICs.

Firmware builds 9.8.1.0.101+ have the fix to improve performance for these clients.

Next 9.8 MR2 release is expected in Nov14. Not sure if 5G background scanning
will be enabled or disabled by default. If not enabled, running ChannelFly for a
period of time will allow your APs to decide on other than channel 149. Stopping
it after a period of running, was recommended to prevent problems in .106/.108
interim builds.
Photo of Koen

Koen

• 30 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Just disable channel fly and only use background scanning. Or just let channelfly run during the night when there are no clients (for about 6 hours) make sure to reboot all access point before you leave, you can configure this under radio group options and services. Also what version are u using? Is the client firmware supporting 202.11h channel change announcements.
Photo of Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Newbie to Ruckus I believe disable command is via the command line
but I do not know the syntax, can you help.
ZD is 9.8.1.101.
Intel say they support 802.11h
running latest intel s/w.
T
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2106 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Hi Trevor,

The ZD WebUI is meant to be more user friendly than command line. From the
Configure tab, Services on the left, the boxes to configure 2.4/5G channel selection
(self healing) are found. We suggest to check the 5G box to enable Automatic
adjustment, and pick ChannelFly from the dropdown (rather than Bkgd Scanning).

Apply this change and let your APs use the algorithm which entails an off-channel
scan an building of an internal database with interference seen. After at least two
hours, the AP ought to have selected a better-than-default channel. You can then
change the ZD Configure/Services, and uncheck the 5G Automatically adjust box.

This only applies to 5G band when you have our newest 11ac AP models in use.
You can use background scanning or channelfly algorithm on your 2.4G channels,
and leave it running. I hope this is helpful.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
Thank you for this helpful suggestion! So just to clarify, I should check the automatically adjust power box for 5GHz on AC AP's? Does it do harm on a heterogeneous deployment of 7982's and R700's? Just trying to reconcile this with the General advice that ruckus recommends allowing Beamflex to do its thing instead of allowing the AP's to decrease their power levels.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
Never mind - looking at the ZD pane, it makes more sense. There's 3 settings that start with "Automatically Adjust", and you weren't implying to turn on the power reducing option.
Photo of Josh Hymer

Josh Hymer

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We are having major issues with our R710 deployment.  Looks like the Lenovo Chromebook N21s are using the same Intel 7260 card.  Anyone having issues with these?
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
Yeah, so it's not MR2 but another MR1 refresh. Very interesting -- looking forward to the update.
Photo of Kevin Graham

Kevin Graham

• 7 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Still waiting here for the new firmware. Did they tell you when it would be out?
Photo of Josh Hymer

Josh Hymer

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Not sure... I am going to call in today.  I am still having issues.. but not quite as bad.  :)
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
Is the plan still to have a new firmware released this week?
Photo of Josh Hymer

Josh Hymer

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Happy new year!!  I just finished talking on the phone with Herb again.  They have a new GA firmware release, it should be out any day.  It seems much more stable (I installed yesterday).  The version is 9.12.2.0 build 84.  My concurrent user count went from 164-221 to 267-331 connected users.  It seems like it has been mostly fixed on our site.
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2106 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
With most client adapters, using the latest drivers often provide latest fixes, both public and internal.
I've seen a couple posts in Intel/Microsoft forums that also provide client side settings that greatly improved performance (ie from 54mb to 866mbps)

I don't have a PC/Apple/Chromebook with this Intel adapter, only that this info/advice can be found on the web:

Driver version 17.0.3.2+

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%c2%ae+Dual+Band+Wireless-AC+7260 

802.11n Channel Width for 2.4 GHz : Auto
802.11n Channel Width for 5.2 GHz : Auto
Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g : 1
Ad Hoc QoS Mode : WMM Disabled
ARP offload for WoWLAN : Enabled
Bluetooth(R) AMP : Enabled
Fat Channel Intolerant : Disabled
GTK rekeying for WoWLAN : Enabled
HT Mode : VHT Mode
Mixed Mode Protection : CTS-to-self Enabled
NS offload for WoWLAN : Enabled
Preferred Band : 1. No Preference
Roaming Aggressiveness : 5. Highest
Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect : Disabled
Transmit Power : 5. Highest
U-APSD support : Disabled
Wake on Magic Packet : Enabled
Wake on Pattern Match : Enabled
Wireless Mode : 6. 802.11a/b/g

PS.  The 54mb CU had TKIP on his WLAN, use WPA2/AES on PSK WLANs.
(Edited)
Photo of Josh Hymer

Josh Hymer

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Unfortunately we cannot download drivers from Intel's site since they are Chromebooks.  :(
Photo of GWehe

GWehe

• 14 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hey, Michael Brado,
We need a CHROME solution.
Photo of Josh Hymer

Josh Hymer

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Model:  Lenovo N21
Config.properties is a Ubiquiti controller file.  It is not on the Chromebooks. It only exists on Ubiquiti controllers.  Which doesn't help us a bit with Ruckus equipment.
(Edited)
Photo of GWehe

GWehe

• 14 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Then why the HADDES are even talking about this file?
Photo of GWehe

GWehe

• 14 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I gotta go do some work.... nice chatting with you guys.
Photo of Josh Hymer

Josh Hymer

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Good question.. :)
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2074 Posts
  • 289 Reply Likes
Thanks Josh. 

So, the only Chromebook/Intel ac-7260 advice I found on the Internet was from UBNT and how to adapt their config.properties.

In previous tickets, an Acer Chromebook troubleshooting case, says to avoid the 5G DFS /radar channels, and the customer

immediately saw improved performance.

If Ruckus can help, I've found a bug ER-3229, for Chromebook periods of not passing traffic or very low throughput (on R710),

awaiting further engineering feedback, with a target of ZD 9.12.2, SmartZone 3.1.1.0.476+.

Photo of Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Reported problems with R500s about a year ago updated everything I could but still had problems with tosh laptops connecting. Problem still with us. If laptop does't connect then pupil walks down the corridor to another ap which connects and then returns to the classroom and all is well. On Friday I will check 7260 chip driver version and the d1100 and r500 versions. They don't have Chromebooks, all other devices connect ok.

T
Photo of Michael Brado

• 1968 Posts
  • 275 Reply Likes
Hi Trevor,

It sounds like you might have an AP in a "stuck" state, perhaps due to interference, if clients are

unable to connect, but connect ok when roaming a short distance.  Can you also upgrade your ZD

to the latest 9.10.1.0.59 for ZD1100s, which will have our latest bug fixes and performance

enhancements too.  Then if on Intel 17.0.3.2+ too, should be smoother sailing.
Photo of GWehe

GWehe

• 14 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
We have the same issue where the AP first connects with the chromebooks and then when they go to sleep or drop for whatever reason, this same AP will not pick them back up again.  We have taken the AP off-line countless times and I am wits-end.  I will attempt to upgrade the firmware to the latest version and see what happens.  I am suspecting possible AP interference in the hallway where it is.

QUESTION:  Does the alignment of the AP make a difference?.... meaning mounted horizontally versus vertically?
Photo of Neal Landry

Neal Landry

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Giving beta a try now. I'll let you know.
Photo of Neal Landry

Neal Landry

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Moved over to the BETA channel on the Chromenbooks and have seen no change
Photo of David Henderson

David Henderson

• 85 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
So your chromebooks with 7260 nics are not working at all on Ruckus wireless?
Photo of Neal Landry

Neal Landry

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
They work, but barely. Speed tests range from about .5 Mbps to 40 Mbps when sitting directly next to the AP with no other traffic. There will be intermittent complete losses of connectivity such that any students using Google Apps will not be able to work on their document until connectivity is restored.
Photo of David Henderson

David Henderson

• 85 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
And Ruckus support does not have any answers?
Photo of Neal Landry

Neal Landry

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I'm not certain what to do here. Are Chromebook users with 7260's out of luck? Surely, this isn't the first Ruckus has heard of this issue, is it?
Photo of GWehe

GWehe

• 14 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Our chromebooks are already at version 47.x.x.
Is there something special I need to do in order to upgrade our ZD1112 to the latest version of firmware?  I have downloaded version 9.10.1.0.59.  Is it as simple as pointing the ZD to the file on my PC?
Photo of Michael Brado

• 1968 Posts
  • 275 Reply Likes
Prior to any upgrade, save a backup of your current configuration (Administer/Backup), and add your current version digits to the filename to remind you what version it came from.
ie.  GWehe-ZD1112_db_983014_111715_16_10.bak  (if you were on 9.8.3.0.14)

Second, read the Release Notes for the ZD 9.10.1 version you intend to upgrade to, and make sure all your AP models are supported.
Some Legacy APs like 2942/7942 are EoS.
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/830-zoneflex-9-10-1-mr-release-notes

Then, from Administer/Upgrade, you click the Browse button and load the image you have downloaded to your PC,
and when prompted to save a backup, you can skip, and click Upgrade to continue.

The ZD will upgrade and reboot.  Your APs will reconnect and each get upgraded to the new ZD firmware version.
Watch from Monitor/Access Points page, as they go from upgrading firmware, disconnected, provisioning, to Connected.

A typical ZD1100 upgrade shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes.
(Edited)
Photo of Josh Hymer

Josh Hymer

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Are there any updates to the current 9.12.1.0 build 148 on the ZD3000?  Thnx
Photo of Neal Landry

Neal Landry

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Just to echo this question, should we be using the 9.10 firmware recommended in this thread?  What if we are using 9.12? Should we expect the same results?
Photo of GWehe

GWehe

• 14 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Just tried BETA 47.x.xxx. on one chromebook.  No change on my end.
Photo of David Henderson

David Henderson

• 85 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
We are right in the middle of evaluating Ruckus and Aruba for a complete overhaul of our wireless network next summer. We have a lot of Chromebooks with the Intel ac-7260 chipset. This thread certainly has me worried. Not sure if the problem lies with the chipset drivers or the Ruckus firmware
Photo of GWehe

GWehe

• 14 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
All I know is that we have been waiting for Ruckus Support to get back to us for 2 days after sending them several Wireshark files....  Our wireless has been effectively DOWN for 2 weeks now.  That may have something to do with your decision.  It is NOT the chromebooks.  I took the same chromebooks down the hall in our building with OS46.x.x.x. and the grabbed an AP and the correct SSID and a good IP address in 5 seconds.  There is something going on with the AP's in another part of the building and Ruckus cannot figure it out.
Photo of David Henderson

David Henderson

• 85 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
So in one part of your building you have R500 APs and they work fine with the Chromebooks and in another part of the building you have R500 APs that do not work with the Chromebooks?
Photo of GWehe

GWehe

• 14 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
That is correct.  Except they are not R500's.... and it is not just chromebooks.  I stumbled across this thread looking for AC-7260 issues....  Josh's issues were mimicking mine exactly.  After much trial and error is seems that the AP's zf7363, zf7055 sort of just stopped accepting traffic and refuse to connect.  we have done everything short of doing a factory refresh on the AP's themselves (unless a firmware upgrade does that, in which case we have).  Possibly I should open a new thread, but I am very much annoyed at this point and I may not be politically correct in my next postings so I need to be careful.
Photo of David Henderson

David Henderson

• 85 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
This nic was very problematic in PC laptops for many many months until Intel finally released a set of drivers that solved many wifi issues. Of course with Chromebook we are at the mercy of Google to incorporate drivers in a release of Chrome. If you have PC laptops with this nic and the drivers are up to date and you still cannot even connect to your Ruckus APs then it does seem like a Ruckus issue.
Photo of GWehe

GWehe

• 14 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Dave, I am not sure you understand.  It IS a ruckus issue. I can take ANY chromebook/laptop/ipad down the hall and connect the SAME model Ruckus AP in an instant using the same drivers and Chrome OS.  I CANNOT connect to two of the 23 AP's we have... even with Apple MacBooks, iPads, HP Folio Laptops and even my cellphone.
Photo of David Henderson

David Henderson

• 85 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Yes it is a Ruckus issue. So you can connect a laptop/Chromebook/tablet to one Ruckus AP but when you take the same device down the hallway and attempt to connect to the exact same model of Ruckus AP, it will not connect? If that is the case then it is a Ruckus issue. Have they given you any idea what could be causing this?
Photo of GWehe

GWehe

• 14 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
TO make a long story longer......
It appears that the Ruckus AP's do not like Cisco Switches.... at least older ones.  After many (many) hours or swapping this and changing that, testing different configurations, SSID's, channels, locations, LAN drops, POE injectors......  WHEW!

The AP location in question was attached to a Cisco CE500 Layer-2 switch (an older business class switch from around 2008).  With the exception of one other AP in the building, all other AP's are connected to newer Cisco WS2960 Layer-3 switches.  As soon as we place this offending AP onto a WS2960, it seemed to be happy, and yesterday it was reported to me that we had about 40 Chromebooks connected in the area with NO issues at all.  What is weird is that the (1) AP on another CE500 in the same hallway is running fine.... PLUS I have (10) APs over at another building that (I must check first) are likely ALSO on CE500 switches and are running fine.

We will need to do some more digging to document exactly which AP is connected to which switch to make a final determination if it is in fact the CE500 series switches in general or just this one CE500 switch that was the offender.

In any event, it took us about 3 weeks to figure it all out.  Now I can get back to my other help desk tickets which have been piling up.........

Have a great holiday season everyone.
Glenn Wehe
Montana
Photo of Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi,
Saw all the updates to my original post regarding Chromebooks thought and decided to revisit my toshiba 'problem' Updated ZD1100 to 9.10.0.0 build 218. Updated intel chip to 18.21.0 and observered 15 laptops logging on with no problems. This appears to be the first time we have had 100% success without pupils taking the laptops to another AP to get connected. Light at the end of the tunnel ?