New to Ruckus - using several 7782's with my own router and switch?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Hi folks,
I am brand new to Ruckus.  We were gifted several of the 7782 APs (we have 6).  I am setting up a network with a router and a PoE switch.  We will have several vlans, and we want to set up one of the lans as a guest wireless.  Am I able to use the 7782 APs on their own on a single vlan without any other Ruckus equipment, or are we required to also have tthe zonedirector controller?  Thank you for answering this newbie question!  
Photo of Joel Laviolette

Joel Laviolette

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Ankush

Ankush, Employee

• 87 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Hi Joel,

You can setup Guest WLAN on a standalone AP without having a ZD. Refer to this KBA for details:
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000001814

Regards,
-Ankush
Photo of Joel Laviolette

Joel Laviolette

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi-thanks for the quick reply.  When I click that link I get an error "sorry, something went wrong".
Photo of Darrel Rhodes

Darrel Rhodes, Employee

• 198 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Hi Joel, I've checked the link provided by Ankush and it works ok.  I'd recommend setting up an account on https://support.ruckuswireless.com/ first, then giving it a try.

Also, whilst you don't have to have a ZoneDirector - for a network of 6 APs and more than basic functionality, it will make your life a lot easier!

Personally I'd try to see if I could get my hands on a used ZD1100 or ZD1200, it will make configuration and monitoring of the network much easier. And I always found ZD code provided better performance than stand-alone code.

Cheers,
Darrel.
Photo of Joel Laviolette

Joel Laviolette

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi.  I am logged in to the support site.  When I click the link I get this: 

What is the name of the KBA article?  Maybe I can just search for it by name in the search there.  Thanks.  
Photo of Ankush

Ankush, Employee

• 87 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Hi Joel,

Just search with the Article # 000001814 or the subject is "Guest Access isolation in Standalone AP"

Cheers,
-Ankush
Photo of Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer, Official Rep

• 262 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Hi Joel,

The article provided by Ankush is premium content. I hope you have premium access to our support site. If not, you cannot view any premium content.
Photo of Joel Laviolette

Joel Laviolette

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If premium means I need to pay then no I don't.  I'm just trying to get these old EOL units working.  Can I get the information on how to use these units that we already own without having to pay an extra fee?
(Edited)