My ZD1200 isnt auto finding my R720 APs and I cant get into the R720s to fix this

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
I have no power supply for my R720s and am using PoE via the ICX 7150 12C switch.

The ZD is not auto detecting the R720s.

I think this may be because the R720s are on a 192.168.0.1 default gateway and my own router is on 192.168.1.1 but I don't know enough about this to be sure.  I have used "Fing" for iPad to try to track down my system IPs and only 192.168.1.xxx IP addresses show.

I didn't bother with a R720 power supply as I didnt think I would need one.  Any ides as to how I can possibly communicate with my R720s and what are the best commands to give it or settings to change.  Please assume I know very little and avoid technical terms without full explanations if possible.  Many thanks, 
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I should add - my R720s are coded WW00 which I believe means they can be used world wide.  I have set the country on my ZD to Hong Kong.  Please help!!  Thank you.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

More info.  Since my last post I managed to connect to an R720 wirelessly using the serial number of the AP.  All I could do was to edit the properties of the AP to give it a fixed IP address (I think).  There is no internet signal being transmitted by the AP and also the ZD1200 still cannot find it.  If I type 192.168.1.210 into my browser it won't find the AP.  I have not adjusted the settings on my ZD1200 (I have only run the set up wizard and configured it for IP4 only).  Also, I have also just done the quick set up on my ICX 7150 12C switch and set no other settings.  

My network diagram follows.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Sorry this got a little cut off.  Basically I have added a 7150 switch in parallel with my legacy 24 port passive ethernet switch.  I have also added a zd1200.  I have only tried to install two R720 APs so far.  The r720s are not getting an internet signal.

The country I have set on the ZD1200 is Hong Kong.  The boxes that the r720s came in say 901-R720-WW00 and so I assumed it was ok to set any country on the ZD1200.

Photo of Anthony Rielly

Anthony Rielly

• 19 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
You should read https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000001255.

For non-technical home use my preference would be to have the ZD and AP on the same subnet, since everything "just works" this way.

If you must have the ZD1200 on a different subnet from your APs, then make sure you give your ZD a static IP (either manually assigned outside your DHCP pool, or reserved using your router's DHCP configuration screen) first.
I'm assuming your AP is wired into your network, and has been allocated an IP address by a DHCP server. Let's pretend your AP got given 192.168.1.44, and your ZD is at 192.168.0.100 ...
From your Windows 10 box, you can bring up a command prompt and "ssh 192.168.1.44". Your default username will be "super", password "sp-admin". Once you've picked a new password, you can enter "set director ip 192.168.0.100". Then enter "reboot". The AP should find your director.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have the "configureme" SSID showing on both APs I have powered up and I can connect to them using their serial numbers.  I just don't know where to go from here.  I have seen on a youtube vid that for unleashed "configuremes" you simply go to unleashed.wireless.com to get to the web management interface.  There must be an equivalent for non unleashed?  I assume I at least need to set country settings in web interface before ZD will find my WW00 720s?  I think I just need to somehow get into the webinterfact but typing 192.168.0.1 doesn't do this for either AP.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Also my ZD is already assigned a static IP in the 192.168.1.xxx range  - If I view the SSIDs from windows or iPad it actually allows you to specify an IP for the R720s - have tried specifying in the 192.168.1.xxx range and this doesn't help.  I'm pretty sure my router cant see the R720 through the PoE newly installed ICX 7150 switch at this stage.

I don't think this is supposed to be so difficult.  I feel sure there must be a web address that I can type and will take me through some set up instructions.

Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
This is how it's done for unleashed https://docs.ruckuswireless.com/unleashed/200.1.9.12/t-LogInRunSetupWizard.html   Is there a non unleashed equivalent?
Photo of Anthony Rielly

Anthony Rielly

• 19 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Those Unleashed instructions are for the first AP in a new network.
Subsequent unleashed APs automatically join the existing Unleashed network.

You should have already run through a similar setup on your ZoneDirector.
Now APs will be automatically picked up by your ZoneDirector and added to its network.
All subsequent configuration is via the ZoneDirector.

The only issue is if the APs are on a different subnet (i.e. there is a router between the ZD and the AP). In this case you don't need to connect to each AP's SSID - you can ssh into the wired IP they were allocated, and tell them where to find the ZD using the "set director ip" command. Or you can plug them into the ZD once, then redeploy them once they've been adopted by the ZD.

If there is no router between the ZD and the APs (i.e. your switch is just an L2 switch, and your existing router is handing out DHCP addresses for everything on your network), then a factory reset may fix connectivity (maybe they were already used before). You might also make sure you haven't forced new APs to require approval in your ZD (see http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/zonedirector/10.4/GUID-E05DB808-B890-4105-9E4D-D2A56057A75F.html).
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi there.  The difficulty I have is I am using PoE and so can't simply connect to my ZD as I don't have a power supply.  To get one is problematic as I would need to order from overseas.

My network diagram is above also.  I have a cisco router - one port connected to ZD, one to a passive 24 port switch, and two will be allocated to ICX PoE switches (only one ICX switch connected so far).

If I look at the "properties" of the R720s in Windows 10, I can even add a fixed IP via the Windows 10 adapter settings page- also as shown above.  This doesn't help as my router still can't see this IP and I can't log in to the web interface using this IP.  Also when I run a network scanner, the R720 doesn't show up at all, even with a fixed IP.  All my legacy APs show up on this.  there's something happening that I don't quite understand and I suspect my router isn't talking to the R720 at all.  There is also no internet signal on my R720 when I log into it using the serial number if this offers any clues. 

As mentioned, my ZD is set to Hong Kong and the R720s are WW00 coded.  I don't know if that's an issue as I know country codes need to align and I haven't yet specified HK on the APs.

Also I haven't done anything with my new ICX switch settings other than given it a password and a fixed IP per the quick set up guide.  Do I need to enable something on the switch maybe?

It's frustrating that I don't have a power supply as I cannot connect directly to the ZD or via my legacy passive switch.  I really don't want to wait 2 weeks to order a power supply to get this fixed.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
When I connect to the R720's SSID on my iPad this is what I see.  There is no router IP which means it isn't talking to the router even.  The IP address for the switch is also really random,  Is there something I need to do to my Ruckus ICX 7150 PoE switch to enable the router and R720 to talk to each other.  The ZD is also on the other side of the PoE switch which is maybe why it too cannot see the switch.  There is nothing I can do about interposing the PoE switch between the Router/ZD and R720 as I do not have a power supply for the R720 and need to use the PoE switch.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Sorry - should also mention if I stick this IP in the web browser it does nothing and if I stick this IP in Putty and try to SSH (I am new to Putty and SSH so maybe doing this wrong, but just input the Ip address and port 22) it won't connect to the R720.
Photo of Anthony Rielly

Anthony Rielly

• 19 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
If it was me, I'd start by plugging my laptop/PC into the uplink cable you're using between the ICX switch and your router. Make sure you pick up a DHCP address, and can see the router/internet. (If the PC has an address starting with 169 this means it couldn't see your router and made up an address of its own, so your cabling might be defective).

Assuming this works, plug your ICX back into the uplink, and plug your laptop/PC into the ICX.
Again, make sure you pick up a DHCP address, and can see the router/internet. If no DHCP is getting through, can you see the router if you give the PC a static address? Does the switch have any L3/VLAN/filtering features turned on which you can disable?

If you're getting DHCP IPs, then I'd plug the ZD into the ICX PoE switch, then plug an R720 into this switch and factory reset it. The AP should join the ZD's network.
If not, check the logs on both the AP and the ZD. Also just check your ZD software is reasonably up-to-date (not 9.x) and that your AP isn't running Unleashed firmware.

Finally, I'd move my ZD back to its final location.

Make sure you know where to see DHCP leases on your router, so you know which IP the APs get given.

Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Anthony this sounds like a good plan and a great way to debug.  Will sort this out on my laptop.  Have been thinking something must be blocked on the Switch.  I do now have a USB A to C so I can cli with the switch if there's anything to disable.  Will report back in a few hours.  Really appreciate your help.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Finally starting to understand the problem. 
There's a 169 address on my switch as you mentioned above.  

Am I doing something stupid with my cables?  White cable is direct from router and plugged into ethernet port of switch on left.  Two R720s attached to switch ports 1 and 2.

I will keep on testing and report back as I go!
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
So I also tested the white cable running from my router and that's fine.  Normal 168 address and normal subnet mask.  This means the ICX switch isn't passing the router signal through to its output ports.  So this is a set up issue with the ICX switch.  There was nothing in the ICX quick set up guide about this.  Or have I done something incredibly stupid with the cabling?
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Making progress after switching lead from router from the ethernet port to a port on the switch.  The message on the ZD is now the the R720 isnt supported!  At least the R720 and ZD are speaking to one another.  I have set the ZD to Hong Kong and the R720s are WW00 on the boxes.  Although it doesnt say WW00 anywhere on the R720 units.  Firmware of R720s is 7.77.110.0.  I am now trying to work out how to check and upgrade the ZD1200 firmware as this could be the issue.

Photo of Anthony Rielly

Anthony Rielly

• 19 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Yeah. Your ZD screenshot looks ancient. Download the latest update (https://support.ruckuswireless.com/so...) and upgrade (from the administer tab across the top).
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Upgraded the firmware of the ZD and I'm there!  Interesting ride along the way.  My support period ended the second I upgraded.  This may be because I tried to get help from Ruckus and they said that my warranty is void as I bought via eBay and not one of their own approved resellers.  Anyway...everything seems to be working now and I just need to tidy my wiring and distribute the APs around the house. Thanks so much for all the help Anthony.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
My ZD was fairly cheap but brand new and in box and from a legit supplier with 100% feedback from 100s of transactions.  Suspect it's been in a stockroom for ages.  
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Was running 9.9.xxxxx
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Having got 4 of my 5 R720s running (I'm still getting help fixing one of my two switches on another thread), I just wanted to say what an awesome end-result the Ruskus set up has given me.  When I was asking for help on the forums, I was told that the R720s were way over-specified for home office use.  I don't actually mind if they are - all I can say is the range is far superior to the various Amped, Asus and Linksys APs I had on my legacy system, and that I haven't once been dropped from my network whilst playing internet chess!  My iPhone also now seems to roam between zones without me needing to "off-on" the wifi.  And I have gone from 6 WAPs to 5 with better coverage.  R720s + ZD 1200 seems to have fixed all the network grumbles that have been annoying the hell out of me for years.   

The only slight complaint I have against Ruckus is they say that buying off eBay voids the warranty and service period.  However, the support here on the forums is so good that this is a minor inconvenience only.

I would encourage any user with a solid concrete house that needs several APs to look at commercial-grade network equipment, and Ruckus actually isn't that much more expensive versus the top-of-the-range home use gear that you would buy in a retail outlet.  

Finally, thank you Anthony Rielly for nudging me in the right direction in debugging.