Max throughput for Ruckus Access Point 7982 802.11n

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
We have a new wireless network made up of 20+ Ruckus 7982 access points. We have a 50MB circuit from our ISP but max download speed on a single device maxes out around 27-30MB when connected to access point. Is there a configuration setting that will increase the max throughput for a single device while not affecting range or quality of signal?
thanks,

andy
Photo of Andrew Craig

Andrew Craig

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Cordelia Naumann

Cordelia Naumann, Official Rep

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Andy, I checked with one of our engineers and he had to say this:

The 7982 by default has 20MHz of allocated bandwidth in the 2.4GHz band and 40MHz in the 5GHz band.

A second limitation is the client wireless card. If it's a single stream wireless card with the client that you're testing with then that throughput at 2GHz is reasonable.

A third limitation is contentious. If various APs clients are downloading content at the same time, then those 50Mbps get divided among all of the APs.

We don't suggest increasing the current bandwidth to 40MHz in 2.4GHz band as you may see more channel bandwidth allocated for throughput, but you run the risk of exposing, or further exposing, your network to interference.

One of the tools that you can use to see if the limit is between the AP/ZD is to run SpeedFlex, an embedded tool to get value of throughput between AP/ZD.

There are other factors that could be playing a role in your throughput like interference or RSSI strength, etc.

If you have a support contract and have a legitimate issue after reading this, then please open a case and we can investigate.
Photo of Andrew Craig

Andrew Craig

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Cordelia,

Another question. If my network card supports the n standard and 5Ghz capable and i am the only one connecting to the access point and sitting 5 feet from it shouldn't it connect to the 5GHz band and theoretically get 50Mbps download speed?

andy
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Also note that these kinds of decisions (which AP to connect to and what band to connect on) is almost solely a client side decision. Almost every enterprise AP will have some form of band steering and balancing sort of feature that you can configure, but it is primarily the client side that chooses which AP to connect to.
Photo of Cordelia Naumann

Cordelia Naumann, Official Rep

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Andy,

According to the engineer, you can expect to get about half the throughput of the data rate because WIFI is half duplex.

I recommend opening a case so we can learn more about your network.

Regards,

Cordelia
Photo of Anshuman Tanwar

Anshuman Tanwar

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
We have installed Ruckus 7982 and tried to connect single tablet with it. We are getting download speed of  4 MBPS but on speedflex it is showing 8MBPS speed. Is there any way we can increase download speed. Also as we connect 2 tablets then download speed becomes 2 MBPS (on each tablet). Should not we get dedicated speed of 4 MBPS (individually) when only 2 tabs are connected to AP.
Photo of Eizens Putnins

Eizens Putnins

• 107 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
From what you posted, it seems that you have very slow internet connection. Speedflex shows that bandwidth over wi-fi between AP and client is 8MB/s, but as download is only 4MB/s,  it means it is limited by 4 MB/s Internet connection. If you connect 2 clients, you have this 4 MB/s shared between them -- not 4MB/s for every client.
Also I would say 8MB/s speedflex number is quit low, you probably have low RSSI or high interference, but it is still better than your internet connection.
Photo of Roman Somov

Roman Somov

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello,

I got the same problem, but with more details. I have 90 Mbps symmetric speed and when I just tagging it to my router I can get all of than on client devise by using 5 GHz radio. But as soon as I creating local sublet (3 of them) speed became 30 Mbps. Changing ssid back to router one and it's 90 again. Why is this happening and how I can make subsets with same speed?

Thank you.
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 1982 Posts
  • 276 Reply Likes
Does your router have different speed Ethernet interfaces (ie 1 GigE, 2 x 100mb?), one per VLAN? Are you doing further packet inspection/filterning? Are you testing with just one active client, and only the one VLAN versus 3 VLAN subnets? Do you get better rates on any one of the 3 local subnets? (meaning could there be slow switches in the path for some but not all VLANs?)
Photo of Roman Somov

Roman Somov

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm using 7982 as a router. It has local sub nets on it. I turned on 3 from 4 available.
When you creating it's ask you to which vlan to route it, so i did 3 different one. Something like 2,3,4. And yes I do have managed switches, but this one not going anywhere just for WLANS, basically everything local on this wap, managed by this wap. And when I creating SSID with just route to other vlan with usual router outside of that 3 on wap, speed test shows me 3 times faster speed. Basically whole speed what i have. Disconnecting device from one ssid, conectin back to other one with local to wap subnet and speed going down :-)

It's could be that wap dividing speed on quantity of sub nets? Like if I have 90 coming to me and 3 on wap and wap reserves third per each subnet?