major speed decrease when connected through r510 access point

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
when connected directly to router from isp by ethernet my download is 900mbps, when hardwired to the ruckus 7150 c12 it goes down to 700mbps and when wirelessly connected to the r510s i get around 90mbps. any help on why this is?
Photo of Brennan Clark

Brennan Clark

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of joseph nguyen

joseph nguyen

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've been fighting with Ruckus on this same issue for the last 6 months, since i bought a new home with these R510 Unleashed APs.  They basically shipped craps and wont upgrade us to a working unit, like R730s... I am hoping they see this comment and revisit my request to give me a drop in replacement for the R510s.  I am paying for 1Gbps but getting 40Mbps on wifi through R510 APs. 
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
In most, cases ruckus is pretty good with stable firmware. It’s just in the recent past year the firmware has a major bug dealing with iOS devices using 802.11ac and a few other mobile devices. It seems to impact in certain RF conditions.  I’m in the process in working with ruckus development team right now in tracing down the issue.  Also It seems not to impact windows 10 or Mac OS X. Some android devices are impacted while others are not.  From what I heard it also impact’s Meraki on their APs that use similar chipsets. My recommendation is go to unleashed firmware 200.6.x for now.

i doubt, ruckus would upgrade you to a r730 since that’s  802.11ax and there are no plans to support the r730 in unleashed firmware. 
Joseph - I thought you downgrade the unleashed firmware to 200.6.x  Hopefully, I can provide. Hopeffully, I can provide more info to ruckus development team since I do believe  this issue only happens in certain conditions.

Brennan - if you can downgrade the unleashed firmware on the r510 to 200.6.x that will help you. You are probably on firmware 200.7.x now which has major speed issues with iOS devices.
Photo of Andrew Giancola

Andrew Giancola

• 187 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I have three questions.
  1. What device are you using to test the Wi-Fi with?
  2. How are you measuring your bandwidth speeds?
  3. Through your tests, what has been your SNR?
Thanks!
Photo of Andrew Giancola

Andrew Giancola

• 187 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Is anyone having issues with using non-unleashed FW?
Photo of joseph nguyen

joseph nguyen

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@Andrew - We discussed this before... I use iperf3 as well as Speedtest on my Cell phone and MacBook Pro. There is no denying there is an issue.  Sorry, it takes quite a bit to setup the environment to test and qualify this every so often.  It's really a full time job if you really want to characterize a WiFi system, RF chamber, etc...
I didn't specifically look at the SNR, but we are talking about  1500-2000 sq-ft of space, open floor plan.  But, i could be right up to the AP, within 6 ft, it really doesn't matter in terms of distance.
Photo of Andrew Giancola

Andrew Giancola

• 187 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Oh yeah sorry. I forgot we'd discussed this before. Professionally I support approximately  9,000 users on various Fortigate, Mist, Meraki, Cisco and Ruckus systems in the U.K, Brazil, and the United States, so I'm used to people testing Wi-Fi with unorthodox techniques. I do believe criticisms are fair when we go through the trouble of documenting our efforts, and by establishing and following a testing methodology  - which you appear to be doing.

Also Thank you for liking my post, I sincerely appreciate it.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Joseph,

Have you tried firmware 200.4.x unleashed firmware? I suggest that is the next best possible thing.   I know his bug impacts certain RF conditions. I have other clients using 200.6.x on the r510 that gets 580mbps throughout... on iOS devices...  In the mean time I know it's a bit that's hard to trace down if you don't have the same RF conditions. Even the R610 and R710 are impacted by this bug..  Anyway, you will not get your full 1GB on any Wifi 5/802.11ac Wave 2  device. At best on a 2 antenna radio the R510 might get 500-600mbps.
(Edited)
Photo of Harry Omm

Harry Omm

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Brennan,

Could you please give us more details,
like _
1.while checking the wireless speed which band are you using ?(is it 2.4 or 5 GHz)
2.please confirm the switch port connected to the accesspoint speed,( as if it is 1gbps or 10/100mbps?)
3.while checking the wireless is there any other client connected to the access point
4.and the software you are using for the speed check?

1.while checking the wireless speed which band are you using ?(is it 2.4 or 5 GHz)
- Peak PHY Rates 
2.4GHz: 300Mbps
5GHz: 867Mbps

Thanks,

Photo of Joe Steenblock

Joe Steenblock

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Check your wiring. We just moved in and have the exact same issue. Turns out the idiots who terminated the CAT6 left about 6 inches of bare wire hanging off the back of the connector. CAT6 certification is very strict there should only be about 1/8 in of bare wire inside the connector. 
Photo of joseph nguyen

joseph nguyen

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Mine are clean on both ends of the CAT6, at the Switch and at the APs.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Are you using R510 Unleashed too?
Photo of Rob M

Rob M

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I had the same issue as you did. Have you logged into the Ruckus Unleashed portal and verified if the R510 is connected to the ICX at 1000Mbps full? 

I'm on 1 Gig fiber and was pushing 100Mbps only through one of my R510. Turns out it was the ceiling cable. Try pulling the R510 down and connect to the ICX using another cable. It sounds like Lennar low voltage guys don't know what they are doing.
Photo of hayk

hayk

• 387 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Also sounds like or at least some of the ruckus installations at Lennar homes are contracted out to amazon tech installs.... not sure for the wiring.
Photo of joseph nguyen

joseph nguyen

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Rob, The Local Lennar guy who is the smarthome expert is Chris. He came over and spent an entire day with me. We did just that. took down the two APs and string it directly to the 7150-C12P. We saw same issue. We then swapped out, one at a time with this other "untested" AP that he had in his truck. same result.

Come to think of it. I believe when he did that, he was not using one of the Giga ports on the switch, as we didnt unplug the 2 cat6 wires from the ceiling at the switch and used other opening ports?. i t was a few months ago. let me see if I remembered it correctly and get back to you.

We eventually had to downgrade to 200.6 from 200.7 for better overall performance, but it was no where near the speed I was paying for.

btw, they have their own installer service for the network wirings for the smarthome. The Amazon guy only came to configure the Ruckus and activate the Alexa and all the smart devices, only after Comcast install and activated Internet service.
Photo of joseph nguyen

joseph nguyen

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Rob, you have a screenshot of the portal page where to check for this?: verified if the R510 is connected to the ICX at 1000Mbps full
Photo of Rob M

Rob M

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Under Access Points, select the actual AP, expand Show System Overview Info and look under LAN Port Status.
Photo of Rob M

Rob M

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Alternatively, if you want to see your what ICX switch ports speeds are showing, telnet to the switch IP and run the command below. 

[email protected] Switch>en
No password has been assigned yet...
[email protected] Switch#sh int brief

Port       Link    State   Dupl Speed Trunk Tag Pvid Pri MAC Name
1/1/1      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a943
1/1/2      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a944
1/1/3      Up      Forward Full 1G    None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a945
1/1/4      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a946
1/1/5      Up      Forward Full 100M  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a947
1/1/6      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a948
1/1/7      Up      Forward Full 1G    None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a949
1/1/8      Up      Forward Full 100M  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a94a
1/1/9      Up      Forward Full 100M  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a94b
1/1/10     Up      Forward Full 100M  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a94c
1/1/11     Up      Forward Full 1G    None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a94d
1/1/12     Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a94e
1/2/1      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a950
1/2/2      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a951
1/3/1      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a952
1/3/2      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   c0c5.2093.a953
mgmt1      Down    None    None None  None  No  None 0   c0c5.2093.a943

(Edited)
Photo of joseph nguyen

joseph nguyen

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Actually, i saw that before, but its just a label of what the port will support.  Wasn't too clear that my current operation is on 1000Mbps?  like connection status: 1000Mbps, which would be more clear.  I remembered the Up was 1Gbps on eth0, but was not sold on that was the actual.
(Edited)