MAC address to DEVICE-NAME table?

• Idea
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Implemented
I'm looking for some sort of way to map MAC addresses to a human readable string (like Steves-iPhone). As I collect and map MAC's I could place them in a Database, Text File, LDAP or Active Directory table. This would make the various management screens easier to track devices for the sake of debugging.

Is this possible? Has anyone done it?

Also, I'm running a ZD1000 with the "9.3.4.0 build 15" firmware.

Thanks,
Photo of Steve Rosen

Steve Rosen

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Bittu

Bittu, Employee

• 43 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Hello Steven,

I see you contacted support regarding the above mentioned question, kindly let me know if the suggestion provided was useful in resolving your issue or not.

Thanks
Photo of Steve Rosen

Steve Rosen

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The support agent (via chat) told me there was no official way to do this. I was just reaching out to the community to see if anyone wrote any sort of extensions or tools to make this type of substitution.

Could it become a feature in future versions?

-Steve
Photo of Keith - Pack Leader

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Just for completeness, I'll mention that the workaraound offered was a browser plugin (RegX for Chrome) which essentially does a DOM re-write of the ZD web pages and will substitute (via regular expression matches) one "word" (in this case a MAC address) with another (the name). I would bet GreaseMonkey for FF would be able to do the same (Sorry IE fans...)

I'll have to be blunt - it won't ever happen for the ZD1000. We aren't developing for that platform anymore and 9.3.4 is the last release (ask you reseller about ZD1100 trade-ins though - we're offering some good deals)

I will mention this to our product managers, in particular our ZD Remote App team - we can be a bit more agile with features there.
Photo of Aaron Katske

Aaron Katske

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It would be nice to map names to Mac's. we are using ACLs and I have to keep a spreadsheet so I know whom I have added and not......
Photo of David Stiff

David Stiff, Employee

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Steve,

Anticipating your request we have a feature introduced in 9.4 that discovers both the host name and OS type of the device and puts this into the monitor-> clients table!

Here is a quick screen snap so you can what I'm talking about.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9...
Photo of Jelle Alten

Jelle Alten

• 60 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
This will not work on the zd1000, right?

Just out of curiosity, how do you actually get this information? I am trying to do something similar (developing an iPhone app), but I find it is not easy at all to retrieve the hostname let alone the OS on the device. It seems it is only possible using a combination of Bonjour, NetBIOS and UPnP. Is that what you do?
Photo of Bill Burns

Bill Burns, AlphaDog

• 203 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Everything depends on what version of ZD firmware you're running. AFAIK: the ZD1000 can't run the latest version. but... I posted a link to a linux script that does exactly what Steve wanted. I think it needs to be tweaked to work with 9.7 firmware but it worked perfectly with 9.6.1
Let me know if you have trouble with it.
Photo of Keith - Pack Leader

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
right - ZD1000 updates stop at 9.3.4
Photo of jeffrey kohl

jeffrey kohl

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Now if we can just get the hostname into syslog to feed to our firewall
Photo of Bill Burns

Bill Burns, AlphaDog

• 203 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
You're probably better off using IP addresses there anyway, otherwise you'd be trusting whatever name someone manually configured on their device. (if you're talking about the automatically discovered OS/hostname information provided by Ruckus controllers) ..or maybe you wanted the hostname in addition to the IP/MAC for extra info. I just wouldn't want to automate any action based on user provided hostnames.
Photo of Aaron Katske

Aaron Katske

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This really doesn't address (my) the concern. The problem is that we have a long list in the ACL but we don't know to which device the MAC belongs. What if they haven't logged in?
Photo of John Olsthoorn

John Olsthoorn

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Did you look at snmp / MIB to collect this data? There is documentation on this in the downloads section of the support site.
Photo of Susan Arnold

Susan Arnold

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just upgraded to 9.5.3.0 build 44 and it does as you have asked - I wanted the same thing. My users do not log in. If there is a name set on the device itself, it displays on the Monitor > Active Clients page. I *love* it. Now to just get the users to give more descriptive device name than "My iPad"!
Photo of Bill Burns

Bill Burns, AlphaDog

• 203 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Here's a script that builds an "offline database" (text file) containing mac-address, hostname and operating system of each wifi client.
https://github.com/bot779/ruckusconf/...

Each time the script is run, it adds the currently associated clients to the database.

I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.
It's not integrated w/ a GUI, but it is useful for certain commandline / scripted uses.
Photo of abhishek sharma

abhishek sharma

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
how to ip address of ruckus 2211
Photo of mehdi koraichi

mehdi koraichi

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi, how can i get the hostname and osType of the stations connected to an AP via SNMP.  I want to get the informations in the clients table via snmp, thanks in advance