Is there a ZoneFlex Syslog Event Message Reference Guide?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Ancient history...

I see that there is a guide for the ZoneDirector but I'm looking for one that lists syslog messages/meanings for the individual ZoneFlex WAPs.

Thanks!
Photo of Eli Turner

Eli Turner

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Keith - Pack Leader

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
No, but I believe the AP messages are a subset of what the ZD will report.

Now...that said, I think it would be great to see what is being seen that _isn't_ in the guide. That way we can start updating what is actually seen in the field (vs what we *think* will show in the field..)
Photo of janx

janx

• 38 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Like: watchdog[16]: watchdog_task: 145 seconds since last rsmd update ??

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
@janx, that message is from the watchdog daemon and telling you that it hasn't heard from the RSM daemon in a while. It usually indicates CPU resource contention if it persists, but if it's just transient (only seen during boot for example) you can safely ignore it.
Photo of janx

janx

• 38 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you. That information is useful.
Photo of janx

janx

• 38 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
But what about:
Dec 22 12:32:29 RuckusAP1k daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA 18:3d:a2:12:91:68 IEEE 802.11: associated
Dec 22 12:32:32 RuckusAP1k daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA 18:3d:a2:12:91:68 IEEE 802.1X: ignored too small Session-Timeout 30, override as 120
Dec 22 12:32:33 RuckusAP1k daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA 18:3d:a2:12:91:68 IEEE 802.1X: ignored too small Session-Timeout 30, override as 120
Dec 22 12:32:33 RuckusAP1k daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA 18:3d:a2:12:91:68 IEEE 802.1X: ignored too small Session-Timeout 30, override as 120
Dec 22 12:32:33 RuckusAP1k daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA 18:3d:a2:12:91:68 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Dec 22 12:32:33 RuckusAP1k daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA 18:3d:a2:12:91:68 IEEE 802.1X: authenticated

Everything seems to working normally but I'm curious.
What should I do. I'm using RADIUS with certificates (Microsoft IAS) to authenticate PC's.

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
It appears we have a hard-coded minimum session timeout of 120s and your RADIUS server is sending a timeout of 30s. So the only consequence is that your desired policy is being over-ridden.

(BTW, I am feeding these all to our techpubs team for inclusion in later versions of the syslog reference)
Photo of janx

janx

• 38 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank You.
To whom may I contact regarding this timeout question. I'm not very deep expert about RADIUS (IAS) things. But I don't see anywhere so little timeout configured.
I'm using 2008R2 NPS. Under Policies -> Network Policies -> Constraints I have configured Session Timeout 960 min.
I don't see any relations to 30 sec as my AP informs me....

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
If you have a support contract then I would recommend you open a case https://support.ruckuswireless.com/co...

You may need to engage your RADIUS vendor as well as it's either a bug with them, a bug with us, or a configuration issue (and 2 out of 3 would be the RADIUS side)
Photo of Drew Baldock

Drew Baldock

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How about this one:

stamgr_cfg_adpt_get_sys():stamgr_cfg_adpt_get_sys stamgr_adpt_mutex is busy, pid[12779] is waiting.
stamgr_cfg_adpt_get_ap():stamgr_cfg_adpt_get_ap stamgr_adpt_mutex is busy, pid[339] is waiting.

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I'll have to get an engineer to dive into the code on this one.

What logging level do you have set? Are you having any problems?

stamgr is the station manager daemon. Mutex stands for "mutual exclusion" and is part of the thread processing code. This may just mean "Hey I'm waiting on something" but if it's showing up under Critical then it may indicate a problem.
Photo of Drew Baldock

Drew Baldock

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Syslog level is set to Keep Original - Err.

We have some APs that occasionally reboot, but these messages don't directly match up with any of those reboots.

We normally see a few of these along with the above messages, but I assumed that is just a failed authentication (bad password, etc):

syslog: authd_user_auth():internal error
stamgr: handle_assoc():sta is not available

It would be really nice if a comprehensive reference for the syslog output was available. The web interface reporting is rather limited IMO.
Photo of Drew Baldock

Drew Baldock

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any update on what these indicate?

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Concensus is that if you are seeing that message often, it's bad (basically the AP's are really busy). Other customers who have seen that message also had AP re-boots. The latest MR releases of 9.4, 9.5, and 9.6 all have fixes in for this event.
Photo of Drew Baldock

Drew Baldock

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We still on, 9.6.1.0.15. Would you suggesting moving to 9.6 MR2 instead of 9.7, or does it also include those fixes?

I'm seeing 1-10 of these stamgr_adpt_mutex in a 30 min syslog report during the day. We have 230 APs (mostly 7982), and peak clients counts around 1800-2000. The max clients on a given AP is ~80, but most are no more than 40. Would you say this is normal?

A syslog enhancement to include the IP of the AP generating this error would be useful as I have no way to tell which AP is too busy.

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
9.6.2 would be my recommendation. That number of clients should be no problem hence why this is considered a bug not just a busy device.
Photo of Bill Burns

Bill Burns, AlphaDog

• 203 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Well, the station manager's adapter mutex is busy, so clearly the processes with process ID 12779 and 339 must wait for it, right?

More seriously:
By web interface reporting, do you mean the AP or controller GUI?

I have no idea if it will work, but have you tried ROWDY?
https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruc...

It might be more for "show support" style supportfiles but it couldn't hurt to try some syslog data on it.
(I think supportfiles contains some syslog data anyway)
Photo of PARESH PATEL

PARESH PATEL

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,

What does this means???

stamgr: stamgr_handle_add_del_vap_reply():no more jobs to do, hooray!

Please advise,
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2957 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
In what context?  Station manager has deleted a Virtual AP reply.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.