increase 128 MAC filter limit

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not Planned
is there a way to increase the 128 limit to a MAC filter list?
Photo of Robert Sparre

Robert Sparre

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2110 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Only thru a Feature Request, submitted by your account team into Ruckus Product Marketing.
Photo of Primož Marinšek

Primož Marinšek, AlphaDog

• 413 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Could you specify the steps in this process please?

I under the impression the forum served this purpose?
Photo of Max O'Driscoll

Max O'Driscoll, AlphaDog

• 332 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Several have mentioned/asked for this so go ahead and request.

I use a lot of MAC filters and only workaround I've found is to create more WLANs each with a specific different MAC ACL assigned (limit of which was increased in 9.5/9.6 update to about 27 from about 8 - I think).

So could have circa 128x27 MACs now. Hmm.
Clumsy but it works.
Photo of Robert Sparre

Robert Sparre

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thanks for the help. are you saying that youi have 27 different WLANs? I think that would be confusing for end users not knowing which WLAN to connect which device to, etc
Photo of Max O'Driscoll

Max O'Driscoll, AlphaDog

• 332 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Initially I wanted a "student" WLAN but couldn't assign more than 120 ish laptops to it. MAC limit hit.
Later on I wanted to be able to disable network/web access for groups of laptops/devices. So created lots of WLANs.

Now I have 12 WLANs each with circa 15-30 laptops/devices on.

Now if class A "borrow" class B's assigned laptops I can disable the class B WLAN those laptops belong to.
Now they know and rarely "borrow"! Works for me.

Laptops connect only to the one WLAN they are allowed to join by MAC - users do nothing.

For example buy 15 laptops for RED class, during setup add their MACs to RED acl,, add RED acl to RED WLAN, set windows to connect automatically to RED WLAN. Done.

If you really want to know: also paint a big coloured dot on laptop lid to indicate colour WLAN it belongs to! More for me than them but it all helps with identification.