ICX 7150 - dumb switch default password

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
I've installed a couple of Ruckus ICX 7150 switches with no configuration and I would like to configure them remotely but when I ssh in, it wants a password which I never set.  Suggestions?
Photo of Clayton Tavernier

Clayton Tavernier

• 65 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Ben

Ben, Employee

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Is it asking for a username/pw or just a password when you enable? If it is the latter that is from the 'enable super-user-password <pw>' command. 

Clayton Tavernier

• 65 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
If I'm consoled in, I can get in and configure without a password.  Now I'm trying to do the same thing remotely and it wants a password.

I'm guessing that I should have set a password when I was grabbing the IP address.
Photo of Ben

Ben, Employee

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Just double-checked. No default username/password for SSH. Need to do the following:
conf t
username <username> password <password>
aaa authentication login default local <--could use other things here such as radius, tacacs, etc.

Clayton Tavernier

• 65 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks.
Photo of chill

chill

• 16 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I'm pretty sure there is no default login. That being the case, you likely need to console in and set it up.

Clayton Tavernier

• 58 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Understood, thanks.
Photo of David Ellis

David Ellis, Employee

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
You can telnet to the switch without a username and password, but not SSH.

Clayton Tavernier

• 65 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Sweet.  Just what I needed.  Thanks.
Photo of Jon Maiman

Jon Maiman, Employee

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
David Ellis beat me to it.   As long as you didn't disable telnet in the config. by default it will connect and let you in without authentication.   If you do plan on using telnet in a production network, generally not recommended from a security perspective, enable authentication in the config via the command:   enable telnet authentication  
or set a password via the command:   enable telnet password <Password>

--Jon