I have an ICX 7150-C12P and the PoE has switched off.

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Answered
I have an ICX 7150-C12P. The power was out for several hours and when it came back on the PoE wasn't active. I have done the factory reset about a dozen times and I can't get it back. I've read all these complex instructions on finding IP address, using a terminal prompt etc etc etc. Unfortunately all of that is over my head. Is there a way to manually turn it back on? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Photo of Geo

Geo

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Ryan Guerrero

Ryan Guerrero, Employee

• 10 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi Geo

This is how you would turn POE on an individual port:

en

con t

int e 1/1/1

inline power

you can also reload the code and power cycle. 

Please let me know if that help?

Photo of Muthu S

Muthu S

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi ,

Please activate the POE 

#conf t

conf)#interface eth 1/1/1 to 1/1/10
conf-If)#inline power power-by-class 3

Regards
N.Muthusaravanakumar
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 127 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Usually, you don't set the power class though.

Just enable LLDP and other protocols...  The devices should then set what they need.

lldp run
fdp run
cdp run

08.0.80 builds and later have POE turned on by default.
Photo of Scott Farrand

Scott Farrand

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Assuming it's under warranty, I'd open a ticket on this issue and have TAC help you troubleshoot the issue.  I've been down that road more than a few times with the 7150-C12P switches.
Photo of Geo

Geo

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately most of it I don't understand. I don't know how to get to the point where I can enter the commands. So I contacted Ruckus and they can't help me because the serial number sticker is missing. I contacted Amazon who is sending someone to the house to hopefully fix it. If not, it goes in the trash. There are much simpler and less expensive ones I can buy. Thanks again for your help!
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 127 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Well that's really strange that the serial number is missing.  I have two of those on my desk and dozens of them in boxes... all of them that I have seen have the tag is on the bottom.  It would take appreciable effort to remove the tag.

I understand your frustration, but these units are real work-horses.  Truly rock-solid devices capable of PoE+ for VoIP and Access Points, they can do VRRP (/w premium licencing), they have Layer-3 firmware available for routing, can be stacked, and can even support OSPF (/w premium licensing).

I have never heard of Amazon sending someone over... must be a third-party seller.  Regardless, unless it is someone familiar with network administration, they are not going to be of much help to you.

Answers:

To get to the point of entering the commands, take the included console cable out of the box, which is the serial to DB9 adapter and the rollover cable... and attach it to your computer's serial port.  If you do not have a serial port, get a USB to Serial Port adapter.  I personally like the Tripp-Lite Keyspan or anything with a genuine FTDI chipset such as the Sabrent.

Now that you have the the console cable connected to the computer's serial port (or USB serial port):

Open the Device Manager look at Ports (COM & LPT) to figure out what COM Port number your device uses.

Next connect the other RJ45 end of the rollover cable to the switch's console port.  On this Ruckus, it is the first port all by itself (closest to the reset) that doesn't have a USB port under it...  The console port has 10101 written under it with square text.

Next, open your favorite terminal application like PuTTY or Secure CRT (possibly Tera Term or even Hyper Term); it is your choise..  Most Windows users use PuTTy; since, it is free, small and stand-alone... not to mention it existed for a very long time.  It does not even have an installer.  If you search the Internet for PuTTy  you will find it.  Simon Tatham is the programmer!

The default Serial Settings should work, and they are the same as Cisco and many other vendors.

Speed (baud): 9600
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: None
Flow control:  XON/XOFF

At this point select "Serial" from the radio button for your connection type.  Leave your speed set to 9600, and enter your serial line.  i.e. COM1.

When you open it, you should be able to type at the console.  If you see nothing press enter a few times.  You should likely see an ICX7150-C12> prompt or similar.

At this point there are basic commands such as:

en (enable to get to privileged exec... the # prompt needed for most administrative tasks)

Show Flash
Show Version (You will see your serial number here)
show run  (show running-configuration...  Shows how the device is configured)
show boot-preference (show boot on older builds)
show interface

You can use the ? mark for example

show interfaces ?

brief         Port information in brief mode
  ethernet      Ethernet port
  lag           LAG status
  management    management port
  mgmt          management port
  stack-ports   Stacking Port information in brief
  unit          All ports in a stack unit
  |             Output modifiers

When you read it, you will then think... I want:

show int brief

You can shorten command such as:

sh int br

show vlan

show clock

Likewise once you configure it with an IP address, username and password, you can enable SSH on the device.  Then using the same tool (i.e. PuTTY), you can connect to it via SSH by putting in it's IP.

To make changes get to Global Configuration:

en (enable)
conf t (config terminal ... brings you to Global Configuration).

It will bring you here:

ICX7150-C12(Config)#

From there you can change the vast majority of global items or switch to more specific configuration tasks.

For example:

ICX7150-C12(Config)# hostname Testing

Testing(Config)#

You probably want to set an ip, mask, and gateway:
(note /24 is CIDR "short" notation for 255.255.255.0.  You can enter subnet masks by putting a space after the IP and typing the mask instead).

Testing(Config)# no ip dhcp-client auto-update enable
Testing(Config)# no ip dhcp-client enable

Testing(Config)# ip address 192.168.1.123/24

Testing(Config)# ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

To check:
show ip

You probably want to test connectivity:

ping 8.8.8.8

You likely want DNS (you can put as many as you want):

ip dns server-address 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

If it is in a domain:

ip dns domain-name mydomain.com

Perhaps you want to set the time...  Do an Internet search for NTP servers:

ntp
 server <ip address>
!

show ntp ?

show ntp associations
show ntp status

Probably want to put in your timezone unless you live in the UK, which is the center of the world...

Use the ? to find your timezone options...

clock summer-time
clock timezone us Eastern

You will probably want to configure some other things like SSH, perhaps some VLANS etc.... you might want a baner.

This is just to get you started...

Remember you must SAVE your configuration or it will loose it when you reboot or power-off the device:

write mem
or

Copy run start

If you want to erase the device

Erase startup-config

If you want to reboot:

reload

perhaps:

reload in 20

Maybe schedule the restart in the middle of the night tomorrow (typically used for upgrading the firmware and scheduling a reboot during a maintenance window)

reload at 22:00:00 03-06-19

Show Ver (will get you your serial number).  I am not certain whether or not Ruckus can help you if you didn't purchase through official channels, but you can always ask.

You also have the resource of reading documentation.  Please note most Brocade ICX documentation is applicable to the Ruckus ICX.  These devices also used to be under the Foundry name though I doubt they had a little 12 port unit back then...  regardless most ICX documentation is applicable.

Also you have these forums.

What is it you are trying to do?

Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 127 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Are you trying to make this run an Access Point or do something with VoIP.

If doing VoIP, you will most certainly need to know about VLANS, trunking, tagging, native VLAN, LLDP, LLDP-MED etc.  It would depend on how your network is setup and if these are to do VoIP only or VoIP and/or data out of the same port(s).
Photo of Geo

Geo

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
NETWizz, thank you for the very detailed solution. I need to get the proper cable because nothing came with it. I'm not using VoIP, just basic smart home stuff (wifi access point, Samsung SmartThings Hub, Ring Doorbell). Primarily I think it's purpose is to provide PoE. The unit cam e as part of a smart home package from Amazon. When you buy a new home from Lennar (the builder) they include this package and contract with Amazon to install and set it up. Of course they didn't leave anything that was in the box. I'm curious to see if they can make the changes required or if they just replace it. Regardless, I will need all of the information you just gave me for the future. Thanks again for your help!
Photo of Scott Farrand

Scott Farrand

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Wait, so you don't have a console cable. You'll need that to do anything after a factory reset.

Had you ever restarted the system after the installation? (perhaps the configuration wasn't saved by whomever installed your smart home package?)

If you do have CLI access if you're not getting power on your ports, it's possible that it's not enabled on that port.  You really need the console cable.

Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 104 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Scott is correct.

Keep in mind though that anything 08.0.70 and later builds have PoE turned on by default.  I recommend the 08.0.80 builds at the moment because 08.0.90 is a bit earlier development than I want to run.

It automatically displays the version details upon boot just so that you know... You need have the console cable connected to see the boot.

I would think the first thing a reputable installer would do is update the bootrom and Fast-Iron version before configuring...

Hopefully if the builder configured your Smart Home, they left a configuration or the details... perhaps a print-out?  Or some diagrams, IPs, details etc. ???

It is probably all Layer-2.  While this device can do Layer-3 (routing), I doubt they set it up like that being this device is not a firewall, and most home users really do not have multiple VLANs. They probably have everything on a single VLAN /w PoE turned on.

The installer is probably the lowest bidder who probably uses this device out of the box, which is all ports in VLAN 1 passing untagged traffic just like any other vendor's switch.  Perhaps they never even checked that PoE was turned on.

If that is the desired configuration, I would just do a "show run" to verifiy it is empty, and personally, I would just upgrade to 08.0.80d and reload.  The device would then start PoE+ on the 12 interfaces; since, that is the default behavior.

Alternatively, enable PoE+ on all ports.

ICX7150-C12> en

ICX7150-C12# conf t

ICX7150-C12 (Config)# lldp run
ICX7150-C12 (Config)# cdp run
ICX7150-C12 (Config)# fdp run

ICX7150-C12 (Config)#  int e 1/1/1 to 1/1/12
ICX7150-C12 (Config-mif-1/1/1-1/1/12)# inline power

ICX7150-C12 (Config-mif-1/1/1-1/1/12)#exit
ICX7150-C12 (Config)# exit
ICX7150-C12# wr mem

Flash Memory Write (8192 bytes per dot) .
Write startup-config done.
Copy Done.

ICX7150-C12#

(Edited)
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 127 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
That's a shame they didn't leave the box.  The confusing part is that there is no serial number on the bottom.  If it were me, I would ask the builder for an exchange to provide another ICX7150-C12-PD unit /w Serial because Ruckus provides a limited lifetime warranty on the device.  It doesn't necessarily mean your lifetime but the product's lifetime because eventually everything goes End-Of-Life and End-Of-Manufacturing.

Normally the box comes with a power cord, hte metal retaining clip to hold the cord, and the rubber feet.  I blacked out the serial number sticker on label on the bottom, but that's the label each and every one of these have!

This is the console cable that comes in the box they did not leave you:

This is NOT included in the box, but if you want to mount it in a Telco rack, it is worth it!  You can also use the the same rack kit as the ICX6430-C12 or the ICX6450-C12, which is what is shown below.

(Edited)
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have a Lennar home with the same package from Amazon and am having the same issue.  The only difference is my power did not go out. The PoE has simply stopped sending power to all connected devices (three wireless access points, Ring Doorbell, etc.).  The devices that are not dependent on the PoE still work, like my home surveillance system, which has its own power supply and a network cable plugged into the 7150. 

Did you check the box for the serial number?  That's where I found mine and I submitted a support ticket with Ruckus as I am out of the 60 day Amazon warranty window and the one year Lennar whole home warranty; I've been in my house for 14 months.

The warranty checker on the Ruckus website shows it's covered by a lifetime warranty.
(Edited)
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 123 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
David Austin:

The device you have likely isn't broken...  I have dozens of these devices deployed in a State-Wide organization and have since they were released at least a year or two ago, and have yet to need to warranty one of the ICX7150-C12P units nor have I ever needed to warranty one of its predecessors the ICX6450-C12-PD.

Below the explanation, I will show you how to get PoE working again.  Even if you do RMA it, and they replace it the new one won't likely come with PoE+ enabled by default; since, new devices rarely come with recent firmware builds pre-installed (from any manufacturer).

Regarding the original OP, I have never actually hit the reset button on one of these until today to test.  Have always been able to do what I need more easily with the console cable.

Both of you can also get the serial number from "show version" with a console cable.  That command runs automatically on bootup, too.  If you do not have a console cable, you can use a USB Type C cable.  The device itself emulates a serial port.

At any rate, I suspect if you check your uptime and version you will find your system did actually loose power since it takes only a momentary fluctuation to cause any switch to do a cold boot.

The telltale sign will be (it also shows you the time it booted provided the clock is set, which I doubt.  At the very least it certainly will have the uptime):
The system : started=cold start

If it was a warm boot such as an FWS firmware upgrade of a remote switch:
The system : started=warm start         reloaded=by "reload"

Here is an example of the uptime on a system with the clock set:
STACKID 1  system uptime is 167 day(s) 10 hour(s) 26 minute(s) 33 second(s)
The system started at 21:58:26 Eastern Fri Oct 12 2018
 The system : started=warm start         reloaded=by "reload"

When I tried a factory reset, this is what it showed:
The system : started=factory reset   reloaded=by "factory reset"

To check the clock
show clock

Here is how a factory reset is performed though I generally would not recommend it to anyone.:
http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/hardware/icx7150-installguide/GUID-D3B5DB74-53A7-4F8D-82F9-6EB600879EE7.html

Performing a factory reset erases the configuration!

On ICX FastIron firmware images from build families before 08.0.70 (i.e. 08.0.60 and 08.0.61 builds), PoE is NOT enabled by default!

You can find the running version:
show version

When the op performed a factory reset, that almost certainly shut-off inline power by default behavior.  I doubt the installer flashed the firmware on the device.

David Austin:

The home builder likely did not hire the best or most knowledgeable network folks for the setup.  For example, even most computer repair businesses rarely deal with campus or enterprise switches, so many are unaccustomed with the conventions and best-practices.  My guess is that in your case, they not only did not upgrade the device's firmware but also never saved the running-configuration, so when the device rebooted it did not have PoE+ enabled.

The good news is to reproduce the configuration Lenmar had on their homes, that is probably nothing more than a Layer-2 configuration with all ports in het same VLAN and PoE+ enabled for all 12 ports.  All the interfaces are already in the same VLAN, VLAN 1 out of the box (like with most vendors), so all you would need to do is enable PoE+ if my assumption is correct for their configuration.

You can check your POE+ status:
show inline power

or

show inline power detail

How to enable PoE+ again, once you get a console cable connected (or a USB type C) open a terminal emulation tool such as PuTTY and select serial.  At the CLI:

My switch below is already running an 08.0.80 build, so PoE is already on, but here are the commands.  I would expect yours will actually turn on PoE+:

ICX7150-C12 Switch>en

ICX7150-C12 Switch#conf t

ICX7150-C12 Switch(config)#int e 1/1/1 to 1/1/12

ICX7150-C12 Switch(config-mif-1/1/1-1/1/12)#inline power
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/1 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/2 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/3 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/4 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/5 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/6 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/7 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/8 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/9 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/10 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/11 has NOT changed.
Warning: Inline power configuration on port 1/1/12 has NOT changed.

ICX7150-C12 Switch(config-mif-1/1/1-1/1/12)#exit
ICX7150-C12 Switch(config)#exit

This is likely what the installer failed to do:

ICX7150-C12 Switch#wr mem
 There is no startup config file, unable to save legacy config
Flash Memory Write (8192 bytes per dot)
Write startup-config done.
Copy Done.

After this, youc an reboot it all you like, and it will load its saved configureation with PoE+ turned on.

(Edited)
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have to say, Ruckus customer support is amazing. I started a chat last night and they had an engineer call me at 0230a at my request. I used my cell phone as a hotspot and he conferenced in to my laptop and connected to the console.

Once connected, it was showing an endless stream of "PoE Fatal: Vmain (48V) fault has forced all ports on slot 0 to lose power."

They already have a new unit being shipped to me with a Monday delivery.
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just tried what you said but even after continually hitting the spacebar for over a minute, this is all I'm getting:

It doesn't give me time to copy and paste anything.
(Edited)
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 123 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Yeah, I see the problem... you are fighting with the syslog messages scrolling, so you cannot copy and paste.

Try turning turn off Syslog to Console, so you can see without the error messages obfuscating what you are trying to do:

you are just going to have to type it.  Do not worry if your cursor jumps and it looks weird (i.e. typing after power...)

conf t

device(config)# no logging console

http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.70/fastiron-08070-commandref/GUID-D65874A7-EF61-4668-A8B6-07829BD1AE45.html

(Edited)
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It is saying invalid input with the conf t. Sorry it's sideways. (I'm really not an idiot, I'm taking the pic right, haha)
(Edited)
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It tells me invalid command no matter what I type. I hit the ? And I'll type any command in and it still says invalid or incomplete command (can't remember which). I think it has more issues than just the PoE issue.
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 123 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
It might matter what build you have for firmware.

In my case, it just got less verbose when I typed that.  I still got some random  messages on the console like this:

ICX7150-C12 Switch(config)#TFTP session timed out

Here is what worked for me.  You can use the ? mark to get more details...

ICX7150-C12 Switch(config)#no logging ?
  buffered      logging message level options
  cli-command   logging cli commands entered from every session
  console       send a copy of logging output to console
  enable        Enable/disable syslog messages
  facility      Syslog server facility options
  host          Set syslog server by name or IP address
  on            Enable/disable logging to all supported destinations
  persistence   save the System log messages after soft reboot

ICX7150-C12 Switch(config)#no logging on

This did seem to shut the switch up.... might try that.

I would just like to see you be able to get what you need to easily configure your replacement.  If you have a backup of the "show run" in a text file, it will make it easier by far.
Photo of Geo

Geo

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
David,
You are lucky to get that response. Ruckus won't replace it because the warranty is only 3 months and I've been in this house 9 months. I had a similar experience with tech, very responsive. They had me download a program to my laptop called Putty and I had to buy a cable to connect the the switch because I didn't have one. The tech guy conferenced in started to look and my laptop crashed. We tried it four times and the laptop crashes. In fact I can't even get the laptop working now. Whatever they had me download destroyed a fairly new, seldomly used laptop. This has become a nightmare. I need to erase and reload Windows I guess. My neighbor is an IT guy, he worked on it for an hour, this isn't his area of expertise. He got the POE back but now the WiFi signal is painfully slow. I've contacted Lennar and told them I expect it to be replaced. If they won't I'll go to Best Buy and get one for under $100. This switch is too complex for a homeowner application. Even the Ruckus tech told me that. The only thing this switch does is provide POE to the access point and the doorbell. I don't need a $600 switch to do that. 
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 125 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
David and Geo:

Just chiming in...  These devices come with a Serial Cable in the box.  You can also use a USB to USB Type-C cable.  You likely had to buy a USB to Serial adapter regardless; since, most laptops do not have those built-in anymore.

PuTTy is the correct program, it is stable, and it has been available for around two decades.  Even if it wasn't stable, it does not install nor set itself up to automatically run, so if it somehow crashed the system it would startup fine.  Regardless, PuTTy is very safe software used daily by IT professionals world-wide.

If your laptop crashed, it likely just blue screened on the serial driver.  Many of the older USB to Serial Prolific chipsets in Windows Vista and Later (especially x64) crash.  You can read all about it on Reddit.  There is also a problem with fake USB to Serial chipsets (primarily Chinese) of various chipsets, and these often crash.  The good ones are genuine FTDI (I use one by Sabrent)  or a Tripp-Lite Keyspan - the drivers are rock-solid stable on both.

The Ruckus switch itself did not destroy your laptop.  If that were the case, after connecting to hundreds of Brocade, Ruckus, Foundry, Extreme, Palo Alto, Riverbed, Aruba, Check Point, and Cisco devices, I would have long ago bricked my work laptop, but I haven't.  Recommendation:  Turn off your laptop and un-plug the offending USB to serial cable.  Now: It should boot fine (unless there is some other unrelated problem)... this will stop it from trying load a buggy driver with dodgy hardware.

Your switch has a "limited" lifetime warranty at least if you are the original purchaser (doesn't mean for your lifetime).  The reason they replaced David's is that his unit is displaying errors of a PoE hardware failure.  Yours is most likely not displaying the exact same error.  It is possible, but extremely unlikely.  I have many dozens of these things deployed, and David's is the first 12-Port unit I have ever heard of having PoE+ failure.

Your unit more likely has a configuration issue they are trying to help you troubleshoot.
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah, my box had the serial cable but I used a USB to C cable as, like you said, my laptop does not have a serial port.
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wow. Mine is 14 months old and covered under a lifetime warranty. Yours should be as well. Did you look on the box for the serial number? I had to download putty as well. Everything worked surprisingly well for using my phone as a hotspot. Look at the pic I attached. Shows all ICX products are covered by a lifetime warranty. I don't know why it uploaded sideways.
(Edited)
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is what I saw when I entered my S/N into the Ruckus warranty checker.

Either way, I'm sure Lennar will take care of you under the whole home warranty.
(Edited)
Photo of Geo

Geo

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did eventually find the serial number and was told 3 month warranty. Amazon installed this but didn't leave the box, cables or any documentation. That's frustrating that Ruckus replaced yours but won't stand behind mine. Ironically, right after I typed the last message the power went out for 2 minutes and I have again lost POE. This switch is useless to me and the average consumer. I think I'll drop if off at Lennar's corporate office and explain what they can do with it.
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/to...

Type your S/N into there and see what it says. I absolutely can't believe the same product would have two different warranties.
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 123 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
What they told you both is correct let me explain.  It is a limited 90-Day software warranty and a limited lifetime hardware warranty.

You had a hardware issue, David.  Geo most likely has a configuration issue.

Being they got Geo into PuTTy, they are already doing some good-will.  My guess is that they will probably help him if he calls back and asks for a manager.  Support has always been good to me.

As for the configuration details, even if Ruckus won't help Geo, I am 95% confident we could help on this forum.  We will need Geo to get the console cable situation resolved, so he can access it and paste some outputs for us such as:

show inline power

and 

show inline power detail
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Understood. I appreciate your insight and help.
Photo of Geo

Geo

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
LOL, it says asset doesn't exist.
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Geez.
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 127 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Geo,

Here is where to get the serial:

show version

[email protected]#sh ver

Copyright (c) 2017 Ruckus Wireless, Inc. All rights reserved.
    UNIT 1: compiled on Oct 11 2018 at 14:00:37 labeled as SPR08080ca
      (29823132 bytes) from Secondary SPR08080ca.bin
        SW: Version 08.0.80caT213
      Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.13T225 (mnz10113)
       Compiled on Tue Jul 24 06:23:08 2018
  HW: Stackable ICX7150-C12-POE
==========================================================================
UNIT 1: SL 1: ICX7150-C12-2X1G POE 12-port Management Module
      Serial  #:ABC1234D0EF  (I changed this, so it isn't a real serial number)
      Software Package: ICX7150_L3_SOFT_PACKAGE
      Current License: 2X10GR
      P-ASIC  0: type B160, rev 11  Chip BCM56160_B0
UNIT 1: SL 2: ICX7150-2X1GC 2-port 2G Module
UNIT 1: SL 3: ICX7150-2X10GF 2-port 20G Module
 1000 MHz ARM processor ARMv7 88 MHz bus
 8192 KB boot flash memory
 2048 MB code flash memory
 1024 MB DRAM
STACKID 1  system uptime is 36 day(s) 11 hour(s) 11 minute(s) 1 second(s)
The system started at 02:17:11 Eastern Thu Feb 21 2019

Photo of Geo

Geo

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
NetWizz, The installer, Amazon, didn't leave the cable that is shipped with the unit. I bought a USB to USB-C cable. I'm not sure what crashed the computer, it worked just fine, but the timeline was turned computer on, download Putty, conference with Ruckus tech, connect to switch, crash. This was several weeks ago. I have been able to get the computer to boot a few times and removed Putty and all junk programs, cleaned everything I could, restarted at least 50 times. It's unstable and I need to reload Windows.
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 125 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I am fairly certain your computer issues are unrelated.

Here is an example of all the log files (12,908) I have saved over the years:

Believe me, if PuTTy or Kitty, a console port, or SSH session was going to mess up a computer... long before now I would have had issues.
Photo of Geo

Geo

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I really don't know what happened to the computer, I just know it happened while trying to fix this switch. It's my wife's PC and she rarely uses it. Ruckus would gladly help but I can't do anything until I have time to fix the PC. The reality is that I've spent way to much time trying to fix something I can replace for $100 or less. Time is money and I can't waste any more. If Lennar doesn't replace it, I'll buy something else. I'm sure the Ruckus equipment is great stuff in the right environment, but they don't belong in a home. I do appreciate your help!
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 125 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I am sorry if this was not more helpful, but it sure is strange.  Personally, I would try to remedy the situation in that this really is not a $100 or less switch.  These sell for about $1,299 MSRP new though admittedly most folks get some small discount from their supplier or vendor.

I am honestly not sure if it is broken or not.  You would have to be able to connect to it to troubleshoot it further, but I would expect Lennar to most likely check it out for you.

I would agree that Ruckus is unusual in a home, but these things are workhorses quite honestly!  I have used them to run VoIP phones in a pinch; since, most of our deployments have multiple VLANs - I have trunked those in.  I have used these as a media converter between optical fiber and copper ethernet for an Avaya analog gateway, I have used these with VRRP for fail-over to Cradlepoint during WAN failure, I have used these as small WAN routers, and as a top of rack switch talking back to a Cisco speaking OSPF to exchange routing tables.

Honestly, my experience has been that these are work-horses.  Personally, I would have one in my house no problem, but I can completely see how this is anything but homeowner friendly.

I could mention they actually do have a configuration webpage if you enable it.  It is not on by default, and you are certainly going to have to at least configure an IP address and mask from the console first.  The website really does not do everything, but it is something.  If that is something you want to do and create a topic, I am sure some folks will help.
Photo of yogen patel

yogen patel

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am currently having the same issue. bought home through lennar and amazon guy showed up to configure it. everything was working well until recent power surges and that had messed up the ruckus it seems. no LEDs are on. they turn on temporarily for less than 1 second at the beginning of power toggle and turns back off. everything after ruckus switch is disabled. how do i solve it? i read some of the comments above and same as GEO, amazon didn't leave any console cable.
(Edited)
Photo of David Austin

David Austin

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Make sure you have a usb to usb c cable and contact Ruckus customer support.  They will log into the switch and see what's going on.  Mine did the same thing as you are describing and I needed a new switch.  They sent it out next day air and I was up and running in no time.  The switch has a lifetime hardware warranty.
(Edited)
Photo of NETWizz

NETWizz

• 123 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
If no LEDs at all are on, there is most likely a power or a switch problem.  I would expect at least the PWR light to be on and green.  The SYST light is general on with that model, too.  It is usually amber during boot, then it blinks green, then goes solid green.  Typically the STAT light is green as well.  Otherwise to troubleshoot further you need a USB-A to USB-C or a DB9 to RJ45 and a rollover cable along with a serial port or a USB to serial port.

If you get the USB cable, the device itself emulates a serial port by Silicon Labs.

You can get the COM port number in device manager if on a Windows box.  There are a LOT of tutorials for connecting to these after you have the right cable