I get the "bad firmware header magic" error message when i try to upgrade T300 AP from 100.x to 104.x

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Photo of Lefhoko Radisaka

Lefhoko Radisaka

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2595 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
I don't know what message you mean, but suggest a factory default and try again?
Photo of Monnat Systems

Monnat Systems, AlphaDog

• 923 Posts
  • 200 Reply Likes
re-download the firmware file.. may be its corrupt..
Photo of Jeronimo

Jeronimo

• 280 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Sometimes the msg is shown on AP.

Factory-reset and reboot, then try upgrade again. 

Lefhoko Radisaka

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i did factory reset and tried downloading the firmware file again but the message is still coming up on the AP
Photo of Jeronimo

Jeronimo

• 256 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Try to upgrade using WEB-UI again.

Lefhoko Radisaka

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am using the WEB-UI logged in using default ip address of 192.168.0.1, username=super and password=sp-admin
Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I encountered this problem while doing a downgrade from 101 to 100. My goal is to perform a step-by-step downgrade to 9.8
Photo of Mike O'Brien

Mike O'Brien

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I get the same error. I think they have changed their chipset, so for those that cant upgrade because we lose functionality of our older AP's are SOL
Photo of Vivek Gupta

Vivek Gupta, Employee

• 16 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi,

Can you please paste the output of below commands from AP :

- fw show all
- get version
- fw check

Regards,
Vivek Gupta
Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

do you think its a bug with the R500?

======= from the ruckus technical support =====

We have a bug raised with our engineering team that new R500 with new chipset are not supported on old firmware version.

Could you please upgrade the controller firmware to 9.10.x firmware.

========

seems like Ruckus isn't that reliable in the area of update as compared to before... :[

(Edited)
Photo of Mike O'Brien

Mike O'Brien

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
OH this isnt good.  Do you have a link to the article.  We cant upgrade beyond 8.8.2.0 build 15 because we will lose functionality with our older AP's, and if this is the case, this is very, very bad!
Photo of Mike O'Brien

Mike O'Brien

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
meant 9.8.2.0 build 15 on the two ZD 3050's.
Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
sorry, there was no fix to this other than to upgrade the current ZD. in your scenario, i think you might have to decide between setting up 2x on an unleashed with the rest on the old firmware... or set the 2x old ones as independent AP, and upgrade everything else.
Photo of Mike O'Brien

Mike O'Brien

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So, what you are saying is that Ruckus updated their chipset (maybe not just specific to the R500's), and didnt test backwards compatibility?  whats this "setting up 2x unleashed". sorry but i have not idea what that means, got a link to explain it a bit further?

Lefhoko Radisaka

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@Joke Jong, extract that compressed folder the you will find a lot of .bin files for different access points the pick the .bin file of your AP and upload it, that is how i managed it
Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I think you meant BL7 files and not bin files. We uploaded the BL7 file and not the ZIP or any other file formats.

Lefhoko Radisaka

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
oh sorry, i mean those BL7 files, 
Photo of Mike O'Brien

Mike O'Brien

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We have two ZD 3050's that are on 9.8.2.0 build 15.  we cant upgrade the firmware, because we have older AP's and will lose them (maybe 30 of them), but below is what i emailed into a ticked i opened with ruckus (ive had no reply in THREE days from them, im in a back hole i suppose), anyway, have a read and give your thoughts (Sorry its a long one):

We bought two R500 Access Points about a year ago, and those are our spares.

Within the last three to four months we bought four new R500 AP’s for a new building that will be coming on line soon.

It’s the new R500’s that im trying to get to join the ZD, and ive tried two of the four, and they will not join the ZD, and that’s what this open ticket is about.

When I upload any firmware version, whether its version 100 (which you had me try) or version 9.8.1.0.101 (the latter being and older version to what we are running), after it does the update which is states is successful, and returns to the main login AP screen, it still shows it version as 104.0.0.1347.  Meaning NONE of the firmware updates actually “takes”, and ive tried EVERY version of firmware below 104.

So, I decided to try the same thing using the R500’s that we purchased about a year ago.  The first thing I did was to see if I could put the 9.8.1.0.101 version of the firmware onto it.

Well, it WORKED, it took that version without issue, and when I plugged that AP into our live network, it updated to 9.8.2.0.15 and joined the ZD without issue.

This leads me to believe that the newer R500’s that we bought, have some fundamental hardware difference, that isn’t allowing the update/downgrade to ANY firmware version (it seems “stuck” on version 104.0.0.1347 .  I have tried the upgrade/downgrade on THREE of the four newer ones, and so far ALL THREE wont upgrade/downgrade.  They all go through the process, state it was successful, but when I log into them, they still show the 104 version of the firmware, and NOT the one I just uploaded.

UPDATE: i got one of the four (newer ones) to get to version 100.1.0.0.432 but i cant get it any further down, i get that "bad firmware header magic" error!

if this is because of a newer chipset, this is a HUGE issue and needs to be addressed by Ruckus.  Ive got a building coming on line, and NEED those new R500's on the ZD....

Photo of Michael Brado

• 2484 Posts
  • 344 Reply Likes
Thanks Mike,

This is valuable feedback and if you have a ticket open, share these downgrade problems.
I think it's more firmware however, than hw/chip set issue, and version 104.x Solo AP image
came out much later and would have been close to ZD 10.0 compatibility.  

Since your ZD3Ks are running 9.8.2.0.15, please try to flash the APs with Solo AP 9.8.2.0.15.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/640-standalone-ap-software-9-8-2-0-15-all-aps 

You say above you couldn't downgrade some APs, but try the FD a couple times... I also
advise direct connect between AP/PC if you have a power adapter, or just your PC/AP on
a little PoE switch.  

If you are successful, try to load the 9.8.2 code a 2nd time.  There are 2 banks of memory
in APs, that hold config/firmware data, and you want to permanently erase any 104 remains.
I hope this is helpful.

Photo of Joke Jong

Joke Jong

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Its confirm that the latter batches of r500 has a chipset/memory configuration settings that are unable to support older ZD firmware.
Photo of Mike O'Brien

Mike O'Brien

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
so, what now? i just chip back this new batch, and thats that! i cant buy anymore as they will likely have the same chipset, and we wont be able to do anything about it (we cant just lose all of the older AP's we have, school literally just started).
Photo of Mike O'Brien

Mike O'Brien

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
To Mr Michael Brado:  to follow up with you.  these AP's (newer ones) have 104 on them, and when i try to downgrade to 9.8.2.0.15 solo (stand alone right?), i get that "bad firmware header magic" error message.  of the four newer AP's, only one of them i was able to downgrade to 100.1 and that was after about a dozen attempts, and now it wont go to any other version of firmware, newer or older, just gives that same error as above.
Photo of Mike O'Brien

Mike O'Brien

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well, after being told that the new post i did was a duplicate (which is wasnt, this is about the T model, mine about R) i was contacted by Ruckus support, and am getting all four of those affected R500s RMA'd with replacements.  So anyone else havign the same issue, here is what I was emailed, and hope it helps you too:

I searched our internal bulletins and there is a notice regarding memory in a batch

of R500 model APs, that begin with certain Serial Number digits.

Some of the serial numbers begin with (for R500 only):

All four of my R500 AP's were the 511702 batch.

Hope the above Helps, just quote this, and get them RMA'd.

Thanks,

Photo of Mike O'Brien

Mike O'Brien

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hold on, where did my original Post go about the R500 and the firmware issue, I cant find it anywhere.  It was a new post, and not a continuation of this one..........?
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2494 Posts
  • 344 Reply Likes
It had exactly what you posted here above, and I removed it as Duplicate. 

I've created a ticket 834883 to RMA your faulty R500 model APs that won't download to 9.8.2.0.15.
TAC will be contacting you soon Mike.  Sorry you hit this issue, not many folks still on 9.8.2.
Photo of Mike O'Brien

Mike O'Brien

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thanks, but nope it wast, it had the title changed to reflect the R500 AP's plus a lot more detail, this one is about the T model.  I'm not trying to make your life difficult as you are the "official rep" here in the forums, but not the customer support people who left me hanging for three days to try figure it out myself.  But i'm sure you had input into getting them moving, as it wasn't long after both my posts that all of a sudden, i'm getting contacted, so I thank you for that. .