How many concurrent clients for ZoneFlex 7372 and 7982?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
We are looking to book a hotel for a conference in February. The hotel is using ZoneFlex 7372 and 7982 APs, which the Ruckus web site says can support over 500 devices per AP.

We have a high number of devices in use during our conferences so I want to make absolutely certain that the hotel's Wi-Fi is up to the task.

Can each access point *really* support over 500 concurrent clients or will the number be lower than that? What dictates how many concurrent clients each AP can support?

Thanks.

Philip
Photo of Philip Colmer

Philip Colmer

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Monnat Systems

Monnat Systems, AlphaDog

• 714 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Hello Philip,

If you are going to use encryption or security then numbers of clients supported per AP will take a hit.

No AP goes beyond 500 whether with encryption or NO encryption. If VOIP is being planned to be used then SIMULTANEOUS VoIP CLIENTS is Up to 60 (802.11e/WMM support), 30 per radio on 7982. this is as per datasheet which can be found here:

http://a030f85c1e25003d7609-b98377aee...

Hope this helps.

PS: ZF7982 is a real workhouse and built for REAL high density.
Photo of Philip Colmer

Philip Colmer

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi

We aren't going to be using VOIP.

So if the APs are configured for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, does that mean a maximum of 60 clients or does the 7982 have more than 2 radios?

Sorry - I don't know anything about either AP other than what Ruckus put on their web site.

Thanks.
Photo of Monnat Systems

Monnat Systems, AlphaDog

• 714 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
hi,

ZF7982 & ZF7372 are both dual band concurrent AP's,

By default whether in a standalone mode or controller mode, both AP's are configured for concurrent 2.4GHz and 5GHz operation.

60 is a max number for concurrent VOIP client supported on ZF7982 so roughly 30 on each radio.
If there is no VOIP and security then ZF7982 can easily handle 80% to 90% of numbers advertised. I don't have proof however i have seen it handle then well.

hope this help.
Photo of Primož Marinšek

Primož Marinšek, AlphaDog

• 413 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
You can find the answer in this post

https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruc...

I have recently deployed an HD WLAN and found that an AP can take at least 270 devices, however I wouldn't recommend it as the retries do go up quite a bit beyond the 150 mark. Try using the 7372-E with a directional antenna for HD and limit the size of the cell to not enable more than about 100 to 130 devices per AP.
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 1979 Posts
  • 275 Reply Likes
AP User capacity numbers are tied to authentication method used.

Both 7372 and 7982 can theoretically support 250 Open Auth users per radio, for
500 Users total. (In perfect RF conditions, close range, not passing traffic)

If using TKIP, max users per radio = 26

If using AES, max users per radio = 100