How can I mount a R720 to a dropped ceiling with channel ceiling rails rather than the normal T Bar rail?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I have a customer who wishes to mount the AP720 to the drop in ceiling tile grid.  But the customer has a channel type of grid rather than the normal T-Bar grid?  How can I mount a Ruckus AP to this type of grid?  Cisco has a solution, does Ruckus?
Photo of Clay Stocklin

Clay Stocklin

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2568 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
What is a channel type grid?  What does Cisco's AP connector look like? 
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2568 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
One of our SEs has used an inventive method to mount R720s, that I hope might be feasible?
Zip ties are good for lots of things!

Photo of David Black

David Black

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I believe the ceiling type your referring to is Silhouette made by Armstrong. It has a reveal (channel) down the center of the grid. Unfortunately Ruckus does not have a a bracket. They don’t have one for Interlude style ceiling grids either. This is very frustrating because every other manufacturer - every single one - has barackets for Interlude and Silhouette grids. They also make brackets out of thin sheet metal instead of cheap plastic like Ruckus. It’s impossible to reseat beveled or straight tegular tiles due to the thickness of the plastic on the Ruckus bracket. The thin sheet metal designs used by Cisco , Aruba, and others allows tiles to easily reseat. The best solution (kludge) we’ve come up with is use the appropriate ceiling/wall bracket such as a 902-0120-000.

Drill small pilot holes in the center of the Silhouette grid. Attach the bracket to the grid with 2 sheet metal screws. Remove the rubber feet from the AP and attach the AP to the bracket. If you encounter an Interlude style grid, there is no solution. We sell another brand that has a bracket or, if forced to use Ruckus, we use a Terrawave plenum bracket and mount the AP in the plenum.
(Edited)