Hotspot(WISPr) Iphone not start browser to authentication

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Some weeks we realized using the iphone any version the Hotspot(WISPr) external captive portal not start automatic navigation to browser autentication, in the Android/Windows(7/10) works normally,
We use the virtual controller (Virtual SmartZone - High Scale version 3.5.1.0.862), we know this worked before, but now it has stopped.
Any solution to resolve this problem or ideia, any workaround to solve this?

Photo of Ti Unitelco

Ti Unitelco

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Robert Lowe

Robert Lowe

• 221 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
What happens if you open safari and browse to a http website, do you get redirected? This could be an issue with Apple CNA (captive network assistant) that tries to identify the presence of a captive portal when it connects to a new network.
Photo of Ti Unitelco

Ti Unitelco

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If i open e and access any site with Safari, the url is redirect to portal works, but we like redirect automatically when user connect wi-fi open network, but the navigator not open more, We testing in multi iphone the result is same not open.
But in the past work normally.
The action is not automatic when user connect on open network, its a problem the user is not notified and does not know what to do.
Photo of Robert Lowe

Robert Lowe

• 221 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I think you will find this is an issue introduced by an apply IOS update. Sounds like the CNA isnt getting a hit when it tries to reach its test URL in the background. It might be worth doing a packet capture of the open network to see what the iPhone is doing when it connects. 
Photo of Ti Unitelco

Ti Unitelco

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok Roberti request to my team capture pack and annalise whats happen,
thks.
I try other wifi open network work OK, but my wifi ruckus open network not work

Thks.

(Edited)
Photo of Matthew Glaser

Matthew Glaser

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We use a Bradford Networks NAC.  We have the same problem when our Clients connect to our Ruckus environment and the Bradford authentication page does not pop up.  We have to have instructions telling them to open a browser and go to a website they have never been to before.  It then pops the authentication.  I find this happens most when people use Google as their home page.

I am not sure what the mechanism is that tells the browser to pop an authentication page and the NAC (your case Ruckus, my case Bradford) tried to authenticate.
Photo of Ti Unitelco

Ti Unitelco

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Matthew, we solve problem with disable Bypass CNA, finally it worked

Thks for all help

Photo of EightOhTwoEleven

EightOhTwoEleven

• 100 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
We have run into this same problem, it seems from my goog-fu an iOS 12.3 issue. https://wirelessnerd.blog/2019/05/28/whats-the-hold-up-with-ios-12-wi-fi-captive-portals/
Photo of Ti Unitelco

Ti Unitelco

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You uncheck option Bypass CNA on Smart Zone Virtual, we test on the IOS 12.3.1 working and open fast the portal

EightOhTwoEleven

• 100 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
It's already unchecked, and still does the same behavior.
Photo of Ti Unitelco

Ti Unitelco

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Weird does not work, check another options, for me work now

Photo of Robert Lowe

Robert Lowe

• 221 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
@EightOhTwoEleven the issue in the link that you posted is a different issue to the OP. That is in reference to the apple devices CNA not actively probing to detect a CP for a period of time when you connect to a network. As far as I am aware, there is no current fix for this as it is the client causing the issue. If you connect then wait for appox 45s do you get the CNA pop up window?
Photo of Ti Unitelco

Ti Unitelco

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I ́ll try wait and see result appears the popup.

EightOhTwoEleven

• 100 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Yes I do. This sounded very similar to the OP's problem.