Compability Cisco Power Injectors and Ruckus AP ́s (r500, r600, H500)

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I have a cliente that has 8 Cisco power injector air-pwrinj5= and needs to use this with some ruckus ap ́s for example r500, r600....so are they compatible????

I saw this pair (cisco power + ruckus ap) work!! but i ́m not sure about the advantages and disadvantages.....i will appreciate your opinion.

is there ruckus poe specification guide updated?????

Thanks guys for your help
Golbert
Photo of Golbert Salazar

Golbert Salazar

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Chang

Chang

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Golbert,
As long as the PoE adaptor support 802.3af, it is fine work with Ruckus R500
Thanks
Photo of Golbert Salazar

Golbert Salazar

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks Chang!!
Photo of Sean

Sean

• 346 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
(Edited)
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 498 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
Yeah, any standard 802.3af PoE injector will work with your R500/R600/R700. I've used numerous injectors with different brands, including the cheap ones off Amazon, and they've all powered Ruckus AP's without a hitch.

The only gotcha is that if you have a Ruckus R710 and need 802.3at PoE+ mode, some vendors misleadingly sell "PoE+ injectors". Ruckus AP's won't detect those as PoE+. But, obviously, there's very very little that you're missing with the R710 if you use PoE compatibility mode and I wouldn't worry about it.
Photo of Golbert Salazar

Golbert Salazar

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Excellent!! thanks for your help!! i have more clear the concept!!
Photo of Golbert Salazar

Golbert Salazar

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Sean,
Thanks for the answer!!, but i can ́t see the link about page 65...it shows an error: This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it.

Can you resend it to me again pls???

Thanks!
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2182 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
Cisco AIR-PWRINJ5 provides 802.11af (15.4W) power.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/power/quick/guide/pwrinj5.html 

R600 AP power draw:

Idle: 2.3W

Typical: 5.3W

Peak: 12W

Click Specs from this R600 Indoor AP product page:  http://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/access-points/zoneflex-indoor/zoneflex-r600 
(Edited)
Photo of Eizens Putnins

Eizens Putnins

• 107 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes

Hi,

For AIR-PWRINJ5  -- yes, it must work, as it is gigabit PoE injector. It can provide 15W power as in 802.3af, which is enough for all indoor Ruckus AP..

But it is actually not that easy in many other cases. And problem has nothing to do with power budget.

Situation is very different if injectors are 100MB/s injectors (as they often are -- you are normally  replacing old  APs), and switch has 1GB/s  port, it will not work properly. It will work only with 100MB/s switch ports, but than you still may have problem with 100mb/s setting of R500 APs ports. It is common culprit with PoE injectors. Typical symptoms -- AP  has massive packet loss in such setup and periodically reboots with message in the log "kernel panic".

By the way, be aware that Speedflex can't be used to check connectivity of APs connected to 100MB/s ports, as it has bug preventing it to measure link performance properly in such setup. This bug have to be fixed in 9.12.2 release.

(Edited)