Channel 144 support

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
A few years back channel 144 opened up for wifi use. On my Virtual Smartzone Controller, channel 144 is not even listed. Why does Ruckus not support channel 144? Will the support be coming in the future?
Photo of David Henderson

David Henderson

• 98 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2588 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
It is not approved for use in the USA.
See 5GHz channels in this chart.  http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/wireless/wi-fi/80211-channels-number-frequencies-bandwidth.php
Photo of David Henderson

David Henderson

• 98 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2588 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
Interesting, if this is of importance to your company, please contact your local SE to submit a Feature Request.
I have not seen any mention from Product Marketing about adding channel 144 for 802.11ac support.
Photo of EightOhTwoEleven

EightOhTwoEleven

• 52 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Has there been any traction on this yet? Is there a method to enable this for our vSZ-E environment? Would be nice to have the extra channel available.

EightOhTwoEleven

• 52 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Bump. Anybody?
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2588 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
Did you contact your SE to submit a Feature Request?  

EightOhTwoEleven

• 52 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
What would that accomplish versus just posting here? It's not like they have a magic wand, or can make the change right then and there. It should carry as much weight as me or somebody else posting in this forum.

It's been four years since the adoption of channel 144, it's time Ruckus at least allows us to select it (by all means, keep it turned off by default if you must).
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2588 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
I think the main problem is that channel 144 not supported by many older client devices.
https://clients.mikealbano.com/

EightOhTwoEleven

• 52 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Fair point, however does it make sense to take away the ability for everybody and for every device? If you go by that list, 53% of all devices on it support channel 144. I think it's important that if it was enabled or added into the platform that maybe it remain hidden or disabled (to avoid the complaints that your product doesn't work, when in turn it was the lack of knowledge on their part).

But for those who know what our devices are, or always plan for a secondary 5GHz channel at -64 or better - it's a loss of potential when it comes to channel plans/spectrum reuse.