Ceiling vs Wall mount for 7982?

• Question
  • Updated 6 days ago
  • Answered
Ceiling vs Wall mount for 7982? What is the optimal position and where can we see full radiation pattern map for its antenna array? Since overhead mount in the centre of the space to be covered is seldom an option for my case, just how much do I lose with a wall mount and what to look for in such deployment scenarios?
For example Cisco explicitly states not to use integrated antenna models as wall mounts, but to use ext. antennas positioned flat up and down the wall. I see no warning in Ruckus manual but I guess you can't have optimal beam in both of these cases?
Photo of Pinkie

Pinkie

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Bittu

Bittu, Employee

• 43 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Hello.

With reference to your post, we recommend Ceiling Mount for all Indoor Ruckus AP's. All ruckus devices have internal SMART ANTENNA's on them and they use BeamFlex which is a Ruckus patent technology.

BeamFlex consists of a smart, compact antenna array with multiple elements, which can be combined in real time to form unique antenna patterns. The advanced BeamFlex system software continually learns the environment with all its hostilities and interference sources, including disruptive RF conditions, numerous communicating devices, network performance issues, and application flows. Then, it selects the optimum antenna pattern for each communicating device in real time, while actively mitigating interference and minimizing noise to nearby networks and devices.

Unlike omni-directional antennas that radiate signals in all directions, BeamFlex directs transmit energy towards the best path to the receiving device. And unlike fixed-positioned directional antennas, BeamFlex dynamically configures its "beam" on a per-station, per-packet basis, to achieve omni-directional coverage.

Hope this answers your questions. all the best.
Photo of ThX

ThX

• 128 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
What does Ruckus suggest for outside antennas: zf7762 ??
Photo of Primož Marinšek

Primož Marinšek, AlphaDog

• 413 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Same for all APs, indoor or outdoor. If you need to cover a stairwell you can think of installing it "vertically".
Photo of Pinkie

Pinkie

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, but is there something alike horizontal and vertical pattern map for the 7982 antenna array available, without beamflex effect (it can only get better with beamflex :) ?
Photo of Keith - Pack Leader

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
We ship those antenna patterns with our mapping product and don't really have them in digestible format otherwise, but I'll see if I can find something (it's been on my todo list for a while). I believe the image here is the 5Ghz elevation
Photo of ThX

ThX

• 128 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Keith: Did you "find something?"
Photo of Pinkie

Pinkie

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you very much, you have been of much help. I'll consider getting special mounts (or having them made) that keep AP horizontal for situations where ceiling mount is not available and such pattern is not optimal for coverage.
Photo of Ray Eads

Ray Eads

• 5 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Closet-Pro...

Works well for wall mount for $4. Install it "upside down".
Photo of ThX

ThX

• 128 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Does upside down really help very much since Ruckus has smart-antennas and beamflex?

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
It does - most of the RF propagates through the "top" of the unit as seen in the elevation above.
Photo of ThX

ThX

• 128 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
How about wall versus ceiling?

Keith - Pack Leader

• 860 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Imagine a large donut sitting on top of the unit and that will probably help you. They're designed for ceiling mount. Wall mount will work, but some signal will be "wasted" at floor and ceiling.
Photo of ThX

ThX

• 128 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Excellent...that clarifies the issue perfectly.
Photo of Ray Eads

Ray Eads

• 5 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Yes, the tbar clips fit better on the bracket than on my actual tbar.

Photo of ThX

ThX

• 128 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Go to legalzoom.com a patent your idea....hurry !
Photo of Jon Prouty

Jon Prouty

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Brilliant!
Photo of ThX

ThX

• 128 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
An alternative to attach ZF7982's to recessed ceiling grids:

I am presently experimenting with a piece of drop ceiling grid and a specialized grid attachment hook. All from home depot for a install price of about $1.30 per drop ceiling mounted ZF7982 (AP).

Steps:
1. Purchase extra drop ceiling "T" at any length. Longer pieces reduce cost per section.
2. Cut the spare "T" grid to about 6 1/2 inches. (tin snips are helpful)
3. Drill two 1/8 inch holes in vertical side of ceiling grid.
4. Slip 6 1/2 inch cut ceiling grid into AP slots.
5. Attach grid hook and mount to ceiling grid.

Perfect? No. Cheap? Yes

HomeDepot parts >>

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suspend-It...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DONN-Brand...

Sample install Pics >>

Photo of Shaun Van Tonder

Shaun Van Tonder

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Why not just use the white brackets that came with it, that what i did.

Lift up the ceiling boards and clip from either side of the flat aluminium bar in your pic (that holds ceiling panels up)  Works perfecty.
Photo of Alan Rothenstreich

Alan Rothenstreich

• 59 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I use Oberon that manufacturers brackets for Access Points.  http://oberoninc.com/products/right-angle-brackets