can you monitor wlan traffic zd1200

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
I'm a newbie to zone director.  We have a zd1200 and I am looking to be able to monitor traffic per wlan.

Is this possible?
Photo of Ross Colledge

Ross Colledge

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Monnat Systems

Monnat Systems, AlphaDog

• 923 Posts
  • 200 Reply Likes
what exactly you want to monitor in WLAN traffic?If you want to see what user was doing on X website then not doable at this time...if you want to see what all major applications accessed on wifi by an user that is doable... for this you need to enable application visibility...
Photo of Monnat Systems

Monnat Systems, AlphaDog

• 923 Posts
  • 200 Reply Likes
just for reading and various nuts n bolts in application visibility feature:

https://docs.ruckuswireless.com/unleashed/200.1.9.12/c-ApplicationRecognitionAndControl.html
exact steps where to find them in ZD, you need refer to ZD user guide...
Photo of Monnat Systems

Monnat Systems, AlphaDog

• 923 Posts
  • 200 Reply Likes
also if you want to see what an user did on the website, you would need an firewall at gateway level...
(Edited)
Photo of Ross Colledge

Ross Colledge

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you that was most helpful  I'll look into application visibility
Photo of Sean

Sean

• 349 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
You could also use Smart Cell Insight :), and you get way more than just AV. It's like Meraki on steriods
(Edited)
Photo of Ross Colledge

Ross Colledge

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks very much Sean.
Photo of Neil Mac

Neil Mac, Employee

• 26 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi Ross,

We have a series of new videos on the ZoneDirector on our YouTube channel here: 
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLySwoo7u9-KK22IfeyIvslIFA8iyhgcgq

The Module on WLAN Advanced Options (Part 1) describes enabling Application Monitoring:

Once you identify applications, you can view them in the dashboard, with lots of filtering options to refine what you see. You can also set policies to allow or block applications.

It's a great feature to play around with, easy to manage and gives a very useful level of control to your network.

Neil
(Edited)