Any solution for problems with my new ICX 7150 C12 switch? Video links provided...

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
My problems started when I failed to set the static IP address via Telnet, but I suspect this switch is just faulty.

Videos are self explantory.

1. No power to PoE AP.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8zqbi5e8emomqb/IMG_5796.MOV?dl=0

2. Won't factory reset.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukz5zqgr3sjtar7/IMG_5798.MOV?dl=0

I don't have a console lead and the Switch wont allow me to Telnet back into the switch.

If there's a quick fix please let me know.  If the switch is toast then that's a little disappointing as it's brand new and it should be working.

The second identical switch which I bought with this is working fine.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 102 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Hi Peter,

It seems to be a corrupted flash image or image installation failure, We would need a console plugged in to see the status and perform the recovery steps accordingly. Hardware seems to be good from your video as its powering On.

Thanks
Jijo 

(Edited)
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi there.  Very grateful if you can walk me through this,  Can I use a regular USB A to USB C for console lead?  I can try to get one locally.  Please can you tell me exactly what to do for the first steps after I have done this.  I've never done this type of thing before so please be patient with me.  And make the instructions easy to follow!  Many thanks Jijo.

Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 102 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
You can use any standard USB Type-C to Type-A cable. Refer the below link which explains how to recover the corrupted flash image from boot prompt. If you run into any issues, Please open a Tac case for remote assistance.

http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.90/fastiron-08090-upgradeguide/GUID-9B5D5A56-039D-44FB-8FD2-B9B55E71ADE8.html

Thanks
Jijo
(Edited)
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank Jijo.  I now have the cable.  Will give this a go and report back.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Jijjo please could you look at my thread "My ZD1200 isnt auto finding my R720 APs and I cant get into the R720s to fix this"  This is driving my nuts.  Im sure its a common problem as all im trying to do is to commission a new ruckus poe switch, zd, and APs.  I must be doing something wrong as it shouldn't be so hard.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Hi Jijo - Im into the switch using my USB console cable and putty.  I looked up your instructions and they arent very clear.

the switch didn't like the commands printenv or setenv serverip 10.10.10.21

My device is the ICX7150-C12 switch.  I can enable it and get past the username and password such that the device name is displayed.  Please can you give me the exact scripts that I need to input from here in order to reset the switch.  Then I can simply cut and paste.

Many thanks, Peter 
Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 102 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Let me clarify, The link shared tells you the recovery steps if your switch is stuck in boot prompt, I was assuming that was the case. From the above snippet your switch has booted up fine and you are in exec cli already so there is no need for it.

Are you trying to set the static IP address on the switch now ? Pls read thru the below guide (page 6-8) & setup accordingly.

https://ruckus-support.s3.amazonaws.com/private/documents/1592/ruckus-icx-switch-qsg.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJM3QLNNKLOV235TQ&Expires=1589165409&Signature=%2B%2BRNCvWFJYRAk9oxrJT5T1zwc%2F0%3D

Make sure that the username and password are secure and easy to remember. Once set, access to the CLI and web interface will be possible only when the password has been correctly entered.

Thanks
Jijo  

Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 102 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Here is the command to erase startup-config, This will delete the current startup configuration file on the switch.

http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.80/fastiron-08080-commandref/GUID-6C68FC6E-7241-448C-867D-C2588D6E44B9.html

Thanks
Jijo
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks for your patience Jijo.  

So in privileged mode I simply type: "device# erase startup-config unit-id 2,5,7-8,10"

The instructions give 2,5,7-8,10 as an example only.  Are these the correct numbers for an ICX 7150 C12 switch?  Sorry if I'm new to CLI.  

Will this effectively be a factory reset?  Right now the switch doesn't seem to put out any power, and there are no flicking green lights when I plug in the ethernet cable (and I have tried another cable) and so something is seriously wrong with it.  I just want to start again.     

Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 102 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Np, You can do a 'show stack' to know your unit id, 'erase startup-config' will do if your switch is standalone.
The idea is to delete your existing config to start fresh and post your 'show run' once the switch is up.

1. erase startup-config
2. reload (Are you sure? (enter 'y' or 'n'): y
3. Could not verify if the Running Config data has been changed.
   Do you want to continue the reload anyway? (enter 'y' or 'n'): y

Thanks
Jijo  
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

All looked good until I got to write memory.  Any clues?

Also, there is no Power on the switch ports (there is on my other ICX switch). 

Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I can however log into the web management interface now, which is something at least.
Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 102 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Ok good, I believe the management IP and user credentials are set now but the PoE functionality  isn't working, is that right ? If yes pls share the following outputs. 

show version
show inline power
show chassis

Thanks
Jijo 

Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have now managed to turn the power on following a youtube guide.  My remaining problem is that I cant get a valid IP address on anything I plug into the switch.  Would this be because my router isnt current enough?  Is there something I can enable to allow valid IPs to be allocated on the output side of the switch? 
Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 102 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Dynamic IP address assignment is done thru the dhcp server in the network. Pls ensure reach ability if you already have one. A Tac case would help us to review your config,devices connected and suggest the changes accordingly. 

Thanks
Jijo
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi again Jijo.  All was fine until I moved the switch.  As soon as I powered off and back on I lost all settings - now my IP has changed and also I lost power on the ethernet ports..  I don't think I created a new startup config when I used CLI after having erased the old startup config.  All I did was to configure it for "the now", so if there is a power cut it will revert to old settings.  I know this because when I tried to start again and delete the start up config I was got the message that there was nothing to delete.  I think I need to know how to build a new startup config.  Thanks in advance for any help.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi Jijo you here?  I have another identical ICX switch working perfectly.  Can I copy the startup-config from this to my problem switch?  Many thanks.
Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 102 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes

When you perform a 'write mem' operation after adding/modifying any configs on the switch, its gets written to start-up config. Its important to save the config as switch relay on this file for config replay when it boots up.
You can do a 'show config' to view the start-up config on the switch.

Thanks
Jijo 

(Edited)
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks Jijo - I want to get this right first time.  Does this mean I set the IP and inline power and then from config mode I simply type the command "write mem"?  Sorry as until 2 days ago I have never used CLI.  Many thanks in advance for your help.
Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 102 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Yes, write mem will save all your configurations to start-up file.
Photo of Peter W

Peter W

• 95 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Jijo thanks my friend!  I worked it out.  Write Memory comes at the end of each operation to add a password, IP, etc.  Not sure why my IP changed as I did a write mem after this last time, but it seems stable now.  I did a write mem after my inline power activation this time around and this seems to have stuck.  Just a thought for Ruckus...it would be good if all of this set up functionality was available from the web management interface as its a bit of a fiddle to need to use CLI to set this up.

Anyway.  All fixed now and many thanks for your patience!  Peter  
Photo of Jijo Panangat

Jijo Panangat, Employee

• 102 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Glad that you figured it out :)

Thanks
Jijo