added more memory and CPU resources to our ZoneDirector and
Access Point product

lines, the earlier and less capable products are gradually
being discontinued. 

Recent End of Life announcements have been posted regarding ZD1100
model controller,

ZoneFlex 7363/7343/7341/7441 and SmartCell 8800 model access
points.  These products

will not be available for sale after September 30, 2015.  Please see the EoL notices for the

details on firmware and replacement support.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/698-zd1100-end-of-life-notification
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 1982 Posts
  • 276 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
This is totally understandable and has felt like it's been coming for a while given the limitations of the ZD1100...

One thing that caught my eye in the EOL notice is that 9.10 is going to be the last firmware for ZD1100. Can you comment on what the remaining roadmap looks like for the 9.10 release?

Namely, DFS is still missing from R500/R600 on 9.10 GA, even though the Class II Permissive Change Request was just filed with the FCC, so presumably enabling DFS is still in the works.

Also, there's no Airtime Fairness or WLAN prioritization for any 802.11ac AP yet. If the ZD1100 goes EOL with no plans to add these capabilities to the firmware, that'd be kind of unfortunate, considering that these feature(s) were on the datasheet for these AP's, and the ZD1200 wasn't  available at the time these 802.11ac AP's were introduced.

Does Ruckus (or its resellers) offer any sort of trade-up / upgrade program for new ZD models? I remember something was offered for AP's when the R700 was introduced.
Photo of David Botha

David Botha, Employee

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi John - thank you for the honest feedback. Your concerns have been heard. Please stay tuned, we'll get back to you ASAP
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Thanks! You guys rock :)
Photo of Marco Eichstetter

Marco Eichstetter

• 130 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi,

i have many ZD1100 with ZeroIT in use.
If the last Firmware Version is 9.10 how will be the OS Support for ZeroIT?
For what timeline will new OS Versions for ZeroIT implement within the 9.10 Firmware?

Thanks!
Kind Regards
Marco
Photo of David Botha

David Botha, Employee

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
@John Dong,

Sorry for the delayed response here.  US DFS channels will be enabled for R500 & R600 in the next 9.10 maintenance release (9.10.1) which will be supported on ZD1100.
Airtime Fairness and WLAN Prioritization are due later this year in 10.0 which to your point excludes ZD1100.  We will take a look at if these features can be rolled into a later 9.10 maintenance release - it's a very reasonable request but please give us some time to get back on this.

As for controller trade-up programs, please reach out to your local Ruckus Sales contact.

Thanks as always for your input.
Photo of Mitchell Axtell

Mitchell Axtell

• 56 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Either it has it, or the ZD I'm currently using it on lies :)

You have to set the channelization (Configure > System> Country code) to "Optimize for Performance" to expose the new channels.

Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
I just loaded on 9.9.1 and it still shows no sign of DFS on R600. My R700 with the exact same settings in the exact same AP group is able to use DFS channels, and I've got Optimize for Performance checked.

Same behavior in the R600's support logs. Shortly after boot the channel list printed has all DFS channels showing BLOCKED next to them.

So you're seeing DFS enabled on R600 using this firmware?
Photo of Mitchell Axtell

Mitchell Axtell

• 56 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
You know what?  That's my issue.  I forgot this was about R-series APs, sorry.
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
No need to apologize! It's not obvious at all that the R500/R600 don't do DFS, and it took Support a few weeks of collecting logs back and forth to make the connection that this was a shipping limitation of these AP's.

To be clear for the other readers, R700 and the T30x's have supported DFS from the beginning.

It's a shame because I have these two AP's deployed in a residential apartment complex where consumer grade equipment saturates the non-DFS channels, so I see significantly better performance out of my R700 than my R600.
Photo of the Event Engineers

the Event Engineers

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi David, 9.10.2 is released for ZD1100, but without Airtime Fairness on 5 GHz. Are there plans for a 9.10.3 MR with Airtime Fairness?
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Hi David, thanks for getting back with an answer! I think Ruckus's response is very sensible and satisfactory here. Keep up the great work!
Photo of Michael Brado

• 1982 Posts
  • 276 Reply Likes
Hello,

And as of ZD 9.12 and SZ 3.1.1 releases, all AP products support DFS.
Sorry this wasn't listed as a feature, but I'll update KBA-4122.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000004122
(Edited)
Photo of John D

John D, AlphaDog

• 497 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Thanks, Michael, that KBA is a great summary of when various features are to be released.

I've decided to go ahead and replace my ZD1106 with a ZD1205 for future-proofing. I know sooner or later I'll want a Wave 2 AP, which will require a ZD1200 anyway :)
Photo of Matty Brown

Matty Brown

• 30 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

I see the new ZD1200 hasn't been "VIEW Certified" with Spectralink as yet.  Are there any plans to get it certified?

The current VIEW certified configuration states that Spectralink handsets work with a Zone Director 1100 running firmware version 9.7.1.0.32.  Does the 1200 support that same firmware and should it work identically to the way it would on a 1100 (except for speed/performance, of course).

We're having a new Wi-Fi system installed at our new warehouse and the system needs to work with Spectralink 8440 handsets.  I'm hoping that I can use a ZD1200 instead of ZD1100... otherwise I'm going to have to look at Aruba or some other vendor that has had their current offerings certified, which would be a shame, since we've been using Ruckus kit since February 2013 and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks,

Matty Brown.

Photo of Michael Brado

• 1968 Posts
  • 275 Reply Likes
Using your other thread for VIEW discussion, but Spectralink is currently updating the certification with current Ruckus products.
Photo of Dominic Bufton

Dominic Bufton

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We've got 2 x ZD 1100s covering 2 island wide mesh.   We've just realised after a few new additions, that we cannot buy latest APs as they need the latest 9.3 firmware, so can only buy old WAPs, nearing end of life.   We've just done the calculations, and for us to replace all of the the WAPs that will be knocked offline by upgrading from 9.1 to 9.3 on the ZD100 to support the new WAPs, we will need to replace approximately $35,000 worth of perfectly good working, albeit older model WAPs.    

Whilst I understand the need to improve products, there should be no need to force older kit off the supported list, purely based on lack of some new feature support?  Surely the firmware can be taught to either optionally disable or not use newer features on the new WAPs?  802 stds are backward compatible aren't they?   We're currently so disgusted with this that we are looking at replacing the everything on both islands with different and overall cheaper supplier.  Which is a shame as everything currently works really well, and we feel that this is purely a marketing strategy to force users into upgrade.

Not impressed.
Photo of Max O'Driscoll

Max O'Driscoll, AlphaDog

• 321 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
I think there are many in this situation (me included) where wifi hardware and network "work" but enlarging coverage with newer APs forces a compromise on the maximum ZD firmware (9.10.2) that can be used.

I have a 50/50 mix of 7363/R500 and am looking at a significant cost implication to replace old functional  APs and ZD or sit where I am for as long as possible.
Similar to the W7 to W10 upgrade conundrum for schools. But that's another story.

Ruckus kit works really well but the upgrade path is not user friendly. Pity.

PS: it's funny how 2 years from the original EOL announcement has gone so fast and I'm still teeth grinding!
(Edited)
Photo of Dominic Bufton

Dominic Bufton

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Apologies - meant to say 9.10 / 9.13 on the firmwares. Freudian slip :)

It would be incredibly useful if Ruckus could also put together a single page timeline comparison for all hardware, showing current and projected, and extended support - our fear is this situation will only get repeated another 4 yrs down the line.   Currently the information is spread out everywhere.  Something like a basic project timeline planner:

ZD 1100  ..........XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.........................................
7362  .............................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx..........................
R500  .........................................................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxx
etc.