Airplay Troubles! ZD1200, R700s, T300s, Apple Airport Express

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Hi, I've got a ZD1200, 12 R700s, 2 T300s, and an Apple Airport Express. Everything is working nicely. When using airplay from my iPhone 6, The music streams well when I'm near one of the access points. When I'm in an area with limited wifi coverage - ~20db, 20% signal, it still works MOST of the time, but will occasionally glitch. It is very unreliable. Is there anything I can do improve the streaming, other than adding new access points? Looking to get this resolved, as it's been quite troublesome for this site. Thanks!
Photo of Bryan Berkowitz

Bryan Berkowitz

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 2116 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Hi Bryan,

I recommend our 9.12.1.0.140 (or build .158 if you open a support ticket) which is the most up

to date R700 AP firmware, but low wifi coverage can mean interference or distance issues, and

you're likely dropping or re-transmitting some packets.  If you stream the music well in other areas

but this one, you may indeed need another AP to help improve client RSSI.  Have you reviewed

the channel choice and conditions of the AP in this area?  Do you employ background scanning

or channelfly to select optimal channels with controller RRM help?  I would try to improve your

client signal strength in order to improve/stabilize your Airport streaming.
Photo of Bryan Berkowitz

Bryan Berkowitz

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What is a reasonable signal strength that I should expect airplay streaming to work with? And sometimes, signal strength shows up as N/A. What's the best metric to go by, the Signal (%), or AP Rx Signal (dB),  AP Tx Data Rate?
Photo of Bryan Berkowitz

Bryan Berkowitz

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
OK, we've relocated the T300 closer to the area that needs it the most and are now getting good streaming audio. Except for the case where we hold the phone close to our body, with our back towards the T300 (blocking it). I guess that's an extreme edge case though, probably nothing we can do about that right?
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2116 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
True, your body does shield signal somewhat.  Early phones/tablets could even suffer Wifi connectivity

if users' hands covered antennas.  Things are much improved in client devices today though. 

Did you know... The FAA uses sacks of potatoes to simulate humans in plane seats in their WiFi tests?
Photo of Bryan Berkowitz

Bryan Berkowitz

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Not that I doubted you but I had to verify.... http://www.geekwire.com/2012/boeing-inflight-wifi-breakthrough-plane-full-potatoes/

LOL.

Back to business - Are there any issues with painting the T300 to better match its surroundings? Do you have any paint type recommendations?

Thanks!
Photo of Michael Brado

• 2116 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Sorry, painting your AP will void it's warranty. Here's a link to our Warranty FAQ: http://c541678.r78.cf2.rackcdn.com/su...