3 R600s for a 400 person community room

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Ruckus recommended this solution to us.

we installed 3 R600's unleashed in a community room that needs to support 400 users.

The backbone is all aps joined to there own 2500 series Aruba POE switch. Directly out a 100Mbit fibre connection.

Basically becomes unusable after 60 users connect, and were not even hitting it hard this is just browsing web pages. 

Ruckus has had me reset them to factory 2 times and had a few calls but they seem to be spinning their wheels and we have never used these devices before.
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi,

We use R600 unleashed APs for dedicated wireless requirements during corporate events and have never seen a problem like this before. However saying this, I wouldn't recommend that you ran 400 users over just 3 APs. Although they are within scope, their throughput would be subject to a bottleneck experience.

I assume that they are all connected to the same VLAN and route traffic through a shared gateway? Are the APs connected at 1Gbps from the switch? Have you added a second LAG link per AP? Is there any rate limiting from the switches or APs?
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
400 is a pipe dream right now i would be happy to get to 200. all aps have a single 1Gbps link to the switch on their own VLAN.  COuld you possibly explain more about this 2nd lag link ?  this hasn't been brought up by ruckus support yet.  
Photo of MLG

MLG

• 73 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
My understanding is the R710 is the only AP that supports LAG or LACP.

What are your channels set to?

Do you have any QoS in place i.e rate limiting in place?

"The backbone is all aps joined to there own 2500 series Aruba POE switch. Directly out a 100Mbit fibre connection." : So you have 3 PoE switches and each AP is connected to a different switch? How are those switches connecting to your core router? Are you daisy chaining them?
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
sorry ill describe it better.

3 aps all plugged directly into 1 Aruba 2500 series POE with no QOS running. This switch is only for this wireless setup nothing else is plugged into it.

The switch uses a secondary interface on my sonicwall router (NSA 250 M) to get out to the internet while staying completely separate from my corporate network.  

the corporate network is a municipal office and hockey rink with 20-60 users during business hours.

the channels look to be random on each radio not sure where that is set on these but they are all different. 

Thanks 
(Edited)
Photo of MLG

MLG

• 73 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Let's try to manually set your channels first. This will be dependant on other WiFi channels in your surrounding area, but this is a start. 

In your Unleashed dashboard go to Access Points>Select AP1>Edit>Radio B/G/N (2.4G)>Override Channel: 1 / Radio A/N/AC (5G)>Override Channel: 157. Ok/Save.

AP2, follow the same procedure but for 2.4G choose channel 6 and for 5G choose channel 161.

AP3, follow the same procedure but for 2.4G choose channel 11 and for 5G choose channel 165.

Since you have no QoS in place and most of your users are doing simple web browsing, I would rate limit them to 1Mbps up/down. You can do this at the router level or WLAN level, and since we are on the topic of Unleashed: WLAN>Advanced Options>Access Control>Rate Limit>Uplink: 1Mbps Downlink: 1Mbps.

Each AP is on its own VLAN correct? What is the subnet size? When the network becomes unusable, are clients spread out across the 3 AP's or is one being overloaded?
(Edited)
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
wow you guys already have surpassed support in knowledge,   

I'll set the channels as suggested 

interestingly enough support told me you cant limit client speed with unleashed you need a controller for that.  so thank you! 

1 vlan for the whole wireless network all and the default vlan since its segregated physically from the rest of the network i seen no need for VLANS 
Photo of MLG

MLG

• 73 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
If you have 400 clients connected to a /24 IP subnet you are running out of addresses after 256 client connections. Maybe you can elaborate more on what happens when the network becomes "unusable"? 

I may also recommend turning load balancing on, which will help spread clients between your access points: Go to Wi-Fi Networks > Edit > Show advanced options > Radio Control, and select the check box next to Load Balancing. Experiment with this option enabled and adjust accordingly. 
(Edited)
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
sorry i'm running a class B so i'm not running out of addresses 

I will definetly experiment with these options 
Photo of Michael Brado

Michael Brado, Official Rep

• 1889 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
At least one more AP to share client load would only be beneficial.  I didn't read what Auth type on your WLAN?
Simple WPA2/PSK may offer best performance over a Guest Access/HotSpot or 802.1x network, when roaming
is involved.  No benefit for R600 two Eth port to same switch (Link Aggregation), only 802.11ac Wave2 APs (R710,
R610).

But can you see how much of your 100mb WAN pipe is in use?  It may be the bottleneck for Internet browsing, as
mentioned above.
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No authentication open wireless,  the internet does not appear to be a bottle neck the corporate network dosn't experience any slow down.  I would like to avoid buying another access point as the customer is already fairly irritate this isn't working yet.
Photo of Naija Dog

Naija Dog

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi All

We usually deploy Wi-Fi for high density users. It is better to use GE Switch not FE, else you limit the throughput of the APs 
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
here's the latest response of what to do from ruckus, I haven't tried the suggestions mentioned here 

Hi Matt,

I understand the issue still persists. Since we are not able to troubleshoot the issue when the issue occurs live, kindly execute the below commands from the Master APs CLI. The below commands will encourage the clients to join with a higher data rate to the WiFi.

ruckus> enable

ruckus# Config

ruckus(config)# wlan <WLAN Name>

ruckus(Config-wlan)# ofdm-only

ruckus(Config-wlan)# no qos directed-multicast ruckus(Config-wlan)# qos directed-threshold 0 ruckus(Config-wlan)# end

Please keep me posted on when the next event is scheduled. It is important for us to see the issue live in order to identify what is causing the issue. From the screenshots taken at the time of the event shows that all the clients were connected with good speeds to the WLAN.

Regards,

Revathy Mariam Thomas

Technical Support Engineer, Ruckus Wireless My hours are Monday – Friday 9:00 to 18:00 PST Join the conversations! https://forums.ruckuswireless.com Now, part of Brocade !