Skip to main content

1 Message

• 

260 Points

Wed, Aug 7, 2013 5:10 PM

Closed

Not planned

ZoneDirector as a Virtual Machine (VM)

We are dying to be able to deploy ZoneDirectors are VMs. This would save so much time and $, especially for smaller deployments. If you can make this cost effective / free for sites with 3 or less APs, that would be incredible as well. Sometimes we lose deals because of this.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Responses

28 Messages

• 

362 Points

7 years ago

Why, does the US Navy have Ruckus AP's on its attack subs?

Yeah, i bet that Ruckus in the USA is golden in every way. They really are a great company - they do so many things right. Its just this one thing that really appears to be a screw up - supply. Who knows why this is? I am willing to bet there is a good answer - but it does not change the reality of struggling to maintain sales of a high end enterprise grade radio system when we dont have good steady supply on hand at all times always.

Anyway, i can tell you my experience says Ruckus DOES read these forums - so they have heard the will of ,many customers. Now lets see what they do.

But even if we dont get a VM, you gotta admit, the ZD is quite a little box of tricks.

368 Messages

• 

5.6K Points

7 years ago

@Idgara, there is the option of ZD in a cloud, you just have to make it your self?

However, AirTight has the OPEX and CAPEX models, but I wouldn't like to begin explaining to my customers that they will have to pay me each month...forever :)

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

7 years ago

Primož Marinšek less than a minute ago
@Idgara, there is the option of ZD in a cloud, you just have to make it your self?

That's an option we're already doing and I would still very much prefer that the Zone Director on our Private Cloud be on a VM. No change to our request to virtualize Smart OS.

I would rather sell my client on say $3500 a month for 5 years as opposed to $150,000 or so. Managed services adds value to your company where Break-Fix does not. It's liberating and infinitely better for your bottom line and your clients real long term needs. But you have to believe in it before you can sell it. Good luck to all of you.

28 Messages

• 

362 Points

7 years ago

Primoz,

Good input and adds dimension to the thread.

In addition to this......... "But you have to believe in it before you can sell it."....

could i add this......

"But you have to actually have the stock incountry before you can sell it - customers who decided to go with upmarket, high end, enterprise grade wireless gear generally don't want to wait weeks to a month or more for equipment"

But you know i think we are flogging a dead horse on this.......... time to let it go and accept these wonderful radios have long lead times to procure. Just have to convince the end customer that Ruckus is SO GOOD that its worth waiting for and they shouldn't go with the Ubiquity gear that is all over the place and that they can have this afternoon and that is getting better and better in terms of performance, is a 1/3 of the price and that has a WLAN controller that runs as a VM today.

No i'll stick with the Ruckus RF, but man, my job is NOT made any easier with these supply problems we are plagued with.

Have a great day.

137 Messages

• 

2.5K Points

7 years ago

I am really surprised by all this complains about delivery time -- we are a small reseller, but we have stock to start to install most projects immediately. If you want to sell staff you must have it on stock, and nobody will do it instead of you.
For my experience, Ruckus has actually better lead time than Cisco (4-6 weeks is standard, may be sometimes 12-16 weeks), Alcatel-lucent (4-6 weeks) and other big networking vendors... You can't stock Cisco as there is too much parts, but some stock of APs and controllers is a must...
We have normal lead time for APs 2 weeks from distributor. Controllers and outdoor AP may take longer (but usually doesn't), and with outdoor solution installation takes time anyway.
In case of rash for controllers we use our demo-kit with temporary license if we need to install bigger system fast, it gives us 4 weeks to deliver.
Anyway, Ruckus is supplying distributors, and resellers buy from them, so if your distributor is not maintaining enough stock, just change to other distributor.
I also agree, VM for ZD would be great, and as much as I know it is planned at some moment. I suspect that there is an issue of licensing security -- as cloning of the ZD VM have to be prevented, so some additional work have to be done.
It is a fact that you can run Ubiquity controller on a VM, and it is free, but it also has about zero features... If Ubiquity do some work on a software end, they solution may become much better, but than it will be not so cheap any more...
You can also mention Enterasys, it also has VM controller (but not free), but offull APs.
Usually VM version license cost is the same as for same size controller, so it will be not cheaper, but just more convenient for customers having VmWare servers, so it makes sense mainly for big installations.

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

7 years ago

I was at Interop this past week and had a chance to chat with some of the Ruckus higher-ups. According to them Zonedirector as a virtual machine is a Done-Deal and we should see it come to fruition over the next month or so with version 9.8.

I can't wait to give it a try!

683 Messages

• 

11K Points

7 years ago

There are no current plans to release a ZoneDirector as a virtual machine image.

But..stay tuned...

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

7 years ago

Keith,

So what has changed in the last month? I was told at Interop by one of your Vice Presidents that this was happening and would roll out in a month or so. He volunteered the information before I brought it up. Have they decided to pull the plug at the last minute?

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

7 years ago

The Ruckus Team at the Ruckus booth at Interop / Las Vegas were really talking it up. It went something like this: do you run virtual servers, because we're releasing ZD as a virtual machine with version 9.8. This guy is a Senior VP. He didn't say we're thinking about it, or stay tuned; he said it was a done deal. This guy is one of the top exec's in the company. I don't think he was making it up.

683 Messages

• 

11K Points

7 years ago

Well this is awkward!..:) 9.8 is due in a few weeks, so let's see!
re: Me being in the dark...would not be the first time!

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

7 years ago

I guess it wouldn't be the first time somebody let the cat out of the bag too early as well.

683 Messages

• 

11K Points

7 years ago

Well...it's not a ZoneDirector, but it is a virtualized Ruckus WLAN controller...

http://www.ruckuswireless.com/press/r...

"Ruckus Wireless, Inc. (NYSE: RKUS) today unveiled the industry’s first carrier-class virtualized wireless LAN (WLAN) controller, the Ruckus virtual SmartCellTM Gateway (vSCG), designed to streamline the creation of highly scalable and resilient cloud-based wireless LAN (WLAN) services."