Skip to main content

1 Message

• 

260 Points

Wed, Aug 7, 2013 5:10 PM

Closed

Not planned

ZoneDirector as a Virtual Machine (VM)

We are dying to be able to deploy ZoneDirectors are VMs. This would save so much time and $, especially for smaller deployments. If you can make this cost effective / free for sites with 3 or less APs, that would be incredible as well. Sometimes we lose deals because of this.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Responses

Official Solution

7 Messages

• 

170 Points

7 years ago

CytexOne - thank you for your feature request. I would love to speak live with you to flush out your though around a VM for small customer deployments. Please email me at [email protected] if you would like to explore your idea further.

4 Messages

• 

152 Points

7 years ago

This would be great as a redundancy feature. To have a VM in standby incase the Hardware failed would be great with a cheaper license fee, a great feature I see.

368 Messages

• 

5.6K Points

7 years ago

I agree with the ZD on VM part.

368 Messages

• 

5.6K Points

7 years ago

I hope you could make a VM ZD for bigger deployments also. Truthfully I don't see much sense in making it for deployments of up to 3 APs. The work involved is probably the same as for 30 or 3000. It's just a licence. When we deploy 3 APs, the competition has to do 5 or more, so the price is about the same, and for us at least, there wouldn't be much benefit there.

But thsi way you would loose dependance on the hardware which can be quite a stumble if it isn't on stock at the local distributor. And the hardware you deploy would limit to which AP count you could scale your deployment. So you wouldn't need to trade in your ZD and wait for a 3000 for example. You could do it with a simple license upgrade that you get in about a day.

And there's also an upside for you, as you wouldn't need to provide for AHR in the case of a failure.

To be fair the new policy of redundant controllers is very nice, but virt software has good redundancy features also, and the deployment is even easier than owning another box that sometimes the customer doesn't have the space for.

Keep up the good work.

7 Messages

• 

160 Points

7 years ago

A VM of Flexmaster is already available, so why not for ZD?

1 Message

• 

80 Points

7 years ago

I would also like to be able to deploy a Zone Director as a VM. We have a ZD 3000, and would like to set up another one for fault tolerance. The only time it would need to service clients is if the physical appliance went down.

Customers should have a choice of buying a ZD as either an appliance or a VM, but every license should come with a free additional VM license for fault tolerance. You could even design it so that the only time the backup VM will service clients is if it can't communicate with the "master" ZD. There's no reason a network should go down while you wait for a new appliance to arrive under warranty. It would cost Ruckus nothing, and everyone would be happier.

6 Messages

• 

120 Points

7 years ago

Found my way here by googling if it was possible to have ZD in a VM. Add a +1 to the chorus of Ruckus customers who would love to have redundancy or even the primary ZD as a VM. So much gained, from hardware independence to backups to disaster recovery...

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

7 years ago

I really see this as a No-Brainer! I would take it a step further and say that the ZD should be offered as an ISO as well. It's not that I don't trust the Ruckus hardware as I've never had a Zone Director fail. It's just that the days of using proprietary hardware for these types of devices has passed. There is really no need for Ruckus to be in the hardware business any more than they have to.

If Smart OS were to be liberated from a particular hardware device quite a few possibilities present themselves. How about ZD as a service? Charge a better price, but charge it forever and ever and have the software stop working if the maintenance runs out. Ruckus gets guaranteed renewals and we get to control the hardware.

28 Messages

• 

362 Points

7 years ago

"Charge a better price, but charge it forever and ever and have the software stop working if the maintenance runs out"

Please don't encourage them !!! We pay enough for this gear as it is!

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

7 years ago

I will try and encourage them all that I can. Turning the ZD into a monthly line-item would be the best thing that could happen to us. Right now we get a one time shot on an item that gets harder to sell as the seat count go up. If you turn it into SAAS we both get recurring monthly income forever. Winner-winner Chicken Dinner!

28 Messages

• 

362 Points

7 years ago

How about a ZD as a VM at something approaching reasonable ? Check out what the other vendors are doing in this regard - choice of VM or appliance.

Myself i prefer to keep the WLAN controller local to the site rather then a cloud based approach so no cloud controller thanks. It all comes down to where you are deploying and how reliable your WAN links are

All theses aaS things are adding up!! So not keen on another aaS being added to our life blood being bled away drop by drop per month. I find customers are getting weary of aaS offerings. YMMV!

But a ZD as a VM would be a winner for us. Ruckus seem to be behind in this area.

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

7 years ago

Besides a few other vendors offering Cloud Controllers, or UBNT with their free controller, I'm not aware of any other major vendor allowing you to VM their controller. Maybe I'm wrong.

For our purposes almost everything we sell now is part of a managed solution and we're the one paying the bill. So anything that can be turned into a monthly charge and put on a VM is a huge plus. Large hardware charges on the front end make a managed solution more difficult. As more of us move to this model this will become even more desirable.

What kills us is having to buy the controller and support and budget for annual support renewals. It's difficult to build a balloon type payment every 12 months into a monthly maintenance agreement. A flat fee each month is far easier to budget as the expenses for the project are steady.

To be honest I'm not holding my breath on this one. Ruckus is far too committed to the model they have to vary too much into this arena. Their lifeblood is support renewals, so I don't look for them to move on this. But as they say, "hope springs in turtles."

28 Messages

• 

362 Points

7 years ago

"Besides a few other vendors offering Cloud Controllers, or UBNT with their free controller, I'm not aware of any other major vendor allowing you to VM their controller. Maybe I'm wrong".

ahhh, off the top of my head.....Air tight, Xirrus. Most likely more if we do the research.

There is one thing and one thing only that keeps me on Ruckus ...RF is the BEST out there and when discussing Wi-Fi , that's what its all about. I like the ZD's dont get me wrong, but IP "smarts" dont seem to be very important to Ruckus. But you know, i can add the "IP smarts" in other ways. I cant do a damm thing about the built in RF tech. So for my money, i'll stick with the RF greatness thanks and deal with the IP/IT side in other ways.

So yeah, a VM for the ZD would be Soooooooo nice to have. I am with you there on that, but i'd prefer to pay for the VM one off thanks, not continue to be slowly bled every month. Dont know about you, but i have a tax problem, so for me, up front purchases are great. Ongoing monthly payments dont help me spread the tax offsets around.

Now Ruckus supply is a whole other issue....dont get me started :-) Ruckus does not seem to understand that to be able to place this wonderful tech in the market place, it has to actually be available when the client says "Yes"...not weeks or months later.

But as my Ruckus continent rep points out to me, they know what i am saying on this forum, so........ i'd best not whinge too much about the lack of proper supply and spare parts held in some countries. This is the only negative thing i can say about Ruckus - support is first class (best i've ever seen), the products are solid and the RF is simply the best out there.

Now Ruckus, pleeeeease give us a ZD VM. It would make life so much easier for us.

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

7 years ago

Ahhhh, more Cloud Controllers. Xirrus isn't really on my radar, but your point is taken.

As far as taxes go, I've never given it much thought. When we were mainly a "break-fix" shop our gross would be really high, so having the parts invoices were a tax must-have, but not so much these days.

So far we've never seen the supply issues you're experiencing. Scan Source seems to always have supply on hand when we need it. I had a problem getting some adjacent mounting brackets for the 7055's, but that's all I can think of. We've had fulfillment issues with some other vendors, but Ruckus has so far come through for us in the US.

But to the point at hand. . .this thread has run for a number of months with no new updates from any of the Ruckus Admins, so I'm pretty sure we're spitting in the wind. But who knows?

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

7 years ago

So I guess it's in the hands of the Ruckus Bean Counters. I hope this doesn't go the way of my suggestion to the US Navy for Screen Doors in their Attack Subs.